Game Day 2023 Round 09 Swans v Freo Saturday 13 May 1:45pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the teams we are fielding are more then talented enough to do the basics right

it's not to say we can ignore a few injuries absolutely, but its overstated massively if people think injuries are the only difference in 2023 is what I mean

Was it Schulz who dominated ? Or Darcy amess Jackson ?

We are just too short and too slight to beat trams like this

There is an unprecedented loss of talls and depth

The bigger issue (forgiving the pun) is the complete absence of combatativendas by the arguably firsts string midfield

Was it Schulz who dominated ? Or Darcy amess Jackson ?

We are just too short and too slight to beat trams like this

There is an unprecedented loss of talls and depth

The bigger issue (forgiving the pun) is the complete absence of combatativendas by the arguably firsts string midfield

we agree on the last bit 100%

We overthought it today, timid to attack and keep the ball moving which we have done well this year.

I am blaming coaching/gameplan for what looked like utter confusion.

Only one player looked like he ignored what he was 'supposed' to do and just played footy.

So at half time went down to the reception of my accomodation to "check in" despite arriving last night. Got chatting to the owner. By the time we had wrapped up the chat, final score came through. Needless to say I have booked first week of school holidays because I sure as * won't need to worry about going to any finals matches.

We overthought it today, timid to attack and keep the ball moving which we have done well this year.

I am blaming coaching/gameplan for what looked like utter confusion.

Only one player looked like he ignored what he was 'supposed' to do and just played footy.
Yep there's something really wrong with how we transition the ball.

Players seem to be too defensively minded. I don't know if it's instruction or just belief but they seem to always be under the assumption that the opposition are about to win back possession and act accordingly.

It's the complete opposite of how dominant midfields like Geelong, Melbourne and peak Richmond played.

Good sides play with this almost arrogant assumption that their team mates will do the right thing and get into an attacking position in the chain in order to capitalise.

With our players you can see them react negatively any time there's a 50 50 ball.

I don't know why but our players don't have that positive mindset in the midfield but I'm sure that's our problem.

Yep there's something really wrong with how we transition the ball.

Players seem to be too defensively minded. I don't know if it's instruction or just belief but they seem to always be under the assumption that the opposition are about to win back possession and act accordingly.

It's the complete opposite of how dominant midfields like Geelong, Melbourne and peak Richmond played.

Good sides play with this almost arrogant assumption that their team mates will do the right thing and get into an attacking position in the chain in order to capitalise.

With our players you can see them react negatively any time there's a 50 50 ball.

I don't know why but our players don't have that positive mindset in the midfield but I'm sure that's our problem.
If you’re a mid playing for the Swans & you’ve been told not to bomb to Buddy …. it’s not a great place to be in when our forward line is pretty impotent.

Once Logan went off, we were devoid of marking targets (especially with McLean rucking). It’s actually only when Heeney went to full forward we looked half-dangerous in our entries.

You talk about Geelong, Melbourne and Richmond - they all had dominant power forwards & often a potent ruck resting forward that could take a mark.

It’s certainly helps the mids when they have multiple options & even a rushed long bomb can work out ok.

I see our lack of talls at both ends now being crippling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

right now he is a good young player

I presume you are hoping he becomes a superstar /star, and in that regard its only very rare glimpses

but the other slack i cut mcdonald is the delivery to him is shithouse

today's goal he had to go create the play in the middle then sprint back to mark it
At this stage I still hope he becomes a good player. He's not there yet. He might qualify for 'good young player', sure. There's a fair gap btwn those two categories to breach though.
Agree delivery is nowhere, this year especially. If we'd had this year's McD, with last year's Warner & maybe Florent we might be onto something. Team is a shambles right now. Maybe the club didn't correctly balance how to rest the players after a grueling year and all the way to a GF with prep for this year...?

At this stage I still hope he becomes a good player. He's not there yet. He might qualify for 'good young player', sure. There's a fair gap btwn those two categories to breach though.
Agree delivery is nowhere, this year especially. If we'd had this year's McD, with last year's Warner & maybe Florent we might be onto something. Team is a shambles right now. Maybe the club didn't correctly balance how to rest the players after a grueling year and all the way to a GF with prep for this year...?

maybe the clubs too busy worrying about who boos and other crap than actually focusing on the performance

yep I realised that, but it is honestly true
Noble, King....the family must have dropped off sometime in the 17/18th Century to make it down to convict or military posted to Tassie? :think:
Wrong side of a pogrom somewhere along the way? Norman invasion? Ran off at Agincourt?

Very happy with Swannies effort - if Mills or McDonald had stayed fit…might have ended differently.

Lloyd got r@ped by Schulz, Buddy just helped form packs, McInerney was shallow, Francis and Gould have an enormous amount to learn about Swans footy (but tried), and Hayward was deadwood…hasn’t taken a contested mark in weeks.

Cunningham brutalised the ‘magic man’ Walters, Goulden was scintillating, Heeney found his d1ck, and Hickey will be better for the run.

Freos best weapon, clearly Darcy.

Where to from here?

Field a team.

The injuries have exposed our absolute lack of depth. Anyone who watched the vfl today will know why we are not doing anything in the seniors. We do not have enough depth pushing through to put pressure on teh senior players. There is no way they get dropped because the replacement will be worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back