Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's because he hasn't performed when he's been given the opportunity.

We didn't have to give him another year, so obviously the club does think he has the ability.

Let's see how the year pans out before writing him off altogether.

I'm guessing that's what the club is doing.
For interest's sake, let's assume a quarter of AFL footy here and there every couple of months is actually an opportunity.

Over the 7 quarters of footy in 2.5 years he's averaged (on a full game basis) 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 10 contested possessions, 2.5 clearances.

If that isn't enough as a 19-21 year old mid for an extended look, then they clearly don't rate what he does.

Particularly for an inside mid when Adams is gone, Titch is carrying an injury and we rank 16th in total clearances.

Data set here for Fin

Tend to disagree , especially unlikely to be WHE I reckon for the reason you mentioned. They kicked 7 between them two games back.

All depends how the other mids are utilised to cover for Jordy and titch. There are a few options.

That said I have a pretty bad record so far this year predicting the sub!
I suppose they may choose to run Lippa in the midfield and keep Nick playing a mixture. Almost concede the midfield to get extra bounce off half back.

I didn’t say that

I said it seems it. Just how it looks on the surface. I’m aware they’re not picking on him

But of course most of you know no other way to have discussions other than snark and condescension
maybe because most of the time when promoted to AFL he fluffs his lines... Coaches provide these players with specific roles and outcomes, and he obviosuly doesnt reach or exceed them simple as that

You do understand that the coaches would be communicating with him, on what needs to be done to get in to the senior lineup?

Most on here just purely look at stat sheet and think he's being hard done by.

I don't look at the Stat Sheet

I look at the fact that he never gets more than 1 full game at a time to even attempt to do anything.

I'd be FAR more understanding of his plight if I saw him get a block of 3-4 games NOT as the sub and then not have any impact.

I can't be accepting of the selection when I see long term senior players who are playing poorly (not just Sidebottom) multiple weeks in a row with no repercussions but a young kid touted as "our future" who can't be given more than ONE game to show something?

Come on now

But Jen, you yourself have said that he’s too physically slight to take on sides with big bodied mids and was also overlooked this week because we’re prioritising foot speed. If that’s all true, then it’s a very small set of teams that Fin will match up well against.

I find it amazing that you and many others in here are still so staunch in your defence of Fin. What exactly do you see as his skills that are elite enough to be worthy of playing in the centre square of a Premiership-contending AFL side? I’m baffled.

Quite frankly, Brayden Sier showed a hell of a lot more skill and X factor in his very similar number of games played and years on our list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Skills and attributes.
Clean, reads the play well, kicks well both sides, good height for a mid.

Some frankly bizarre selections this week. Hopefully Mcrae isn't getting the Beveridges about him.
Huge game tonight. All on the line. A win really sets the season up for a massive tilt at back to backs.
A loss and the season is in jeopardy and serious questions will need to be asked.
I'll back em in. Pies by 7 points

For interest's sake, let's assume a quarter of AFL footy here and there every couple of months is actually an opportunity.

Over the 7 quarters of footy in 2.5 years he's averaged (on a full game basis) 20 disposals, 8 tackles, 10 contested possessions, 2.5 clearances.

If that isn't enough as a 19-21 year old mid for an extended look, then they clearly don't rate what he does.

Particularly for an inside mid when Adams is gone, Titch is carrying an injury and we rank 16th in total clearances.

Data set here for Fin
Wonder why they extended his contract for another year?

Just for fun.

Obviously they don't rate what he's done in the opportunities he's been given.

Last edited:
Maybe Fin is under disciplinary action (how would we know?)

Maybe he’s carrying a niggle?

Maybe there’s a failing in his game that he needs to work on and has been told he isn’t getting a game until he does?

Maybe his fitness levels aren’t where they need to be? (Years ago us punters were crying out for a certain player to get games … behind the scenes the senior coach pointed out that the player wasm’t snywhere near fit enough and pointed to clear examples during games where the player’s fitness let the team down)

The Bear? Or someone else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The whole “play Fin” thing reminds me of the “play Mark McGough” movement from decades ago. Problem with Fin is he hasn’t show a single elite attribute at AFL level. He’s stuck in no man’s land being too good for the VFL but not good enough for the AFL. Most high level midfielders would have shown something by now. This is not a Matthew Priddis situation where a player needed a chance or a Dane Swan situation where off-field and work ethic issues held them back. Fin’s just not good enough.

The whole “play Fin” thing reminds me of the “play Mark McGough” movement from decades ago. Problem with Fin is he hasn’t show a single elite attribute at AFL level. He’s stuck in no man’s land being too good for the VFL but not good enough for the AFL. Most high level midfielders would have shown something by now. This is not a Matthew Priddis situation where a player needed a chance or a Dane Swan situation where off-field and work ethic issues held them back. Fin’s just not good enough.
McGough had one thing over Fin too - he was good in wet weather.

Lets see how we go tonight. Not too many critics have tipped us. Backs against the wall stuff. We do our best work in those situations.

We'll see in 12 hrs how this thing pans out.
Not 'too many' or 'not any'. Which is correct? Or maybe 'very few'? ''Hardly anyone'?

My back is well and truly against the wall, and I hope those of the players are too.

Haven’t seen enough of Fin at VFL to know about his flexibility. From his appearances at AFL level he strikes me as a Lipinski type rather than inside mid. I’m surprised about his ball use being down as I thought that was one of his strengths when drafted. Having said that the fact he’s signed on again indicates to me that we’ve been transparent with him and he’s accepted what he’s been told which suggests he’s doing all he can to succeed. All we can ask really.

Players are given constant feedback. Not all of them are Taylor Adams types, that don't like what they hear and decide to take their bat and ball and go home.

Fly has this nice guy persona but he is a velvet sledgehammer

Examples

Finn too slow or not enough weapons
Poulter got shifted very quickly not his type
Ginnivan/Adams being shifted ruthlessly

These 2 both got told what they didn't want to hear and left.

Footy is a business at the end of the day. Adams is about to be stuck playing 2's in Sydney for the next 2 and a half years once Parker and Mills return.

Check out the athletic traits and/or skillets of those we play on the flanks.
Athletic traits I understand, but for 'skillets' we would at least need access to the players' kitchens, and even then I am not sure how to apply information gathered to this task. Though I am sure there is method to your madness.

1714696019426.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back