Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Fin is under disciplinary action (how would we know?)

Maybe he’s carrying a niggle?

Maybe there’s a failing in his game that he needs to work on and has been told he isn’t getting a game until he does?

Maybe his fitness levels aren’t where they need to be? (Years ago us punters were crying out for a certain player to get games … behind the scenes the senior coach pointed out that the player wasm’t snywhere near fit enough and pointed to clear examples during games where the player’s fitness let the team down)

I still miss The Bear. Had the makings of a cult hero if he’d only wanted it that little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't look at the Stat Sheet

I look at the fact that he never gets more than 1 full game at a time to even attempt to do anything.

I'd be FAR more understanding of his plight if I saw him get a block of 3-4 games NOT as the sub and then not have any impact.

I can't be accepting of the selection when I see long term senior players who are playing poorly (not just Sidebottom) multiple weeks in a row with no repercussions but a young kid touted as "our future" who can't be given more than ONE game to show something?

Come on now

You’re overlooking the fact that Fin can only play in the centre square which is the most important part of the ground. It’s an area where we simply can’t have any L-platers or passengers, which is exactly what Fin has been and why he gets subbed/dropped. We’re still in the business of winning games of footy, right?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s reached an outstanding level as a mid in the VFL - which everyone wanted.
His “weakness” is NOT a weakness if his mid game is not of a high enough level in the seniors. It becomes completely irrelevant because he won’t make it.

But we don’t have answer to the later until he gets 3-4 games consecutive games.

If he gets similar numbers in the seniors as he does in the VFL, no one will be talking about positional flexibility.

Outstanding level as a mid in the VFL yet our VFL midfield (with him in it fulltime) has been smashed by winless teams.

Let's turn it around: which team would Lachie Sullivan get a game with?
The question was: Which team would Finn be a midfield starter?

I'd say no one for Lachie or Finn yet.

Neither have shown they belong yet. Finn's had a few short chances over the years and Sullivan gets one tonight.

If this is about Finn is more deserving than Sullivan. Why? Sullivan has been performing at Finn's current VFL level for many years. It's not a job where you get a gig due to years of service at the club - otherwise Schultz wouldn't be getting a game.

For anyone hand wringing about the prospect of Carlton finally having a somewhat relevant year, please remember to stop and smell the flowers in the good time. There hasn’t been a single team as shithouse as Carlton in the past two decades (most weeks at bottom of ladder).

I know some of you are scarred from decades past (I’ve literally never seen them being anything but a rabble except when I was too young to care) but all the more reason to appreciate things when you have them, like their utterly pitiful performance in the last 25y leaving a big black mark on their club history.

I'm actually happy Carlton is up and about.

It makes for much better theatre for nights like tonight, it gets the passion flowing from both sides and makes a helluva racket when the game gets tight.

Also makes it so much sweeter when we beat them, too. Not at all confident about tonight, but very hopeful. Bit of a backs-against-the-wall, hail mary. Who'd have thunk that the reigning premiers would be out of the 8 trying to break the door down to get in at this time of year?!?

JOSH DAICOS OUT !

NO DAICOS NO DEGOEY NO MITCHELL NO MIDFIELD

WE ARE DONE NO MIDFIELD

CANT BARE TO WATCH TONIGHT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's probably unfair on them but our chances against Carlton tonight will likely come down to whether our veteran midfielders in Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Crisp can all rise to the challenge once again in their careers.

Sidebottom, Crisp and Hoskin-Elliott only gained 21 disposals combined against Essendon and we can ill afford that level of production once again if we're to stand a chance.

Lift!

Jaicos out? Imma need proof.

Can only really look at the poor numbers from the old folk on ANZAC Day as being the shorter turnaround. Tonight is 9 days later, perfect weather (maybe a bit dewey) and should be a good old fashioned Friday Night Feast from WHE and Sidey. If Crisp moves into the middle with Leggy down back then I feel we'll get some extra grunt around stoppages and some extra drive from half-back.

This has been a theme all year.

We're so much better having Nick play on from the kick in as it allows him to either spot up someone just outside 50 or execute a corridor kick if the opposition fail to defend it.

Other players are too willing to chip into the pocket which then leads to a kick down the line to a contest. Do that tonight and we'll play into Carlton's hands by granting them the chance to either mark or generate a stoppage.
100%

Naicos brings a degree of unpredictability when taking the kick outs. He can hit up targets that others only dream about. Totally spot on that we can't just bomb it to HBF all night, unless 2018 PF Mason Cox rocks up and clunks everything.

The more we keep the game in transition, the better our chances of winning.

On a walk in my neighbourhood last year, I remember walking past a guy decked out in his Carlton gear the day after they beat us in a H&A match.

I found it bizarre.

It's what happens when you're irrelevant for 30 years. Blues fans have been calling SEN all week shitting the bed over tonight's game. They know if they don't get us now, their flag hopes are done.

Carlton looked good last week despite the loss, with the game having somewhat of a finals atmosphere / look to it. It doesn't feel as though we're at that level just yet, despite our continued improvement over the last month.

We haven't played 4 quarters of footy yet; tonight would be a good time to remedy that. It has a somewhat similar feel to the first game against Carlton last season, only the roles have been reversed and our form is better than Carlton's was last season.

I'm not expecting a win. It's not out of the realms of possibility of course, however if we play well we could still conceivably lose. We have some significant outs, both in the same area of the ground, and will be relying on a debutante to plug one of those gaps.

Strange game tonight with plenty on the line for both teams, for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back