Umpiring

Are they?

• Yes

Votes: 50 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • They will until this group has officially been broken, Hardwick aint Coach and Gale isn't CEO

Votes: 33 33.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

smoke smoking GIF

Yet another example of disgraceful umpiring.

This is not just a manic complaint, it is a highly improbable statistical aberration that cannot be reasonably explained that has been going on for at least 7 years.

It is clear that EVERY team is on its best behavior against Richmond - just look at the past 2 weeks, double to free kick count. Against Melb, 3/4 time is 14 to Melb and 12 to Rich - the next 10 (yep TEN) got to Melb to finish 12 to 24. Today 20 to 11.

Its not just about the free kicks paid against, it's those that are not paid. Time and time again Freo players were allowed to take on tacklers and got away with it. Richmond players were penalised for the same play.

The 50m at half time was correct - it was the FREE KICK that was total bullshit.

Then at the end of the game, Tyler Young was dragged down close to the goal square - 4 umpires, no free - but then Freo get the kick. TOTAL DISGRACE.

Footy is an industry. The games are the product. We, therefore, are the consumers. But more than that, it is the circus in the bread and circus offerings of the big end of town.

Cheating is as old as sport. WG Grace, cricket's early champion and a member of the big end of old London town, was revered for it. Footy is no different. If a champion pretends to have the ball knocked out of his hands after a free to milk a fifty into scoring range, commentators are far more likely to praise his experience than question the morality of it.

Sport has precious little morality for it is a reflection of society itself. Thus, when BT says an umpire and in-law of his club VC paid him frees to get him to a ton, having put a wager on him at the start of the season, I have no reason to disbelieve it.

Players cheat. Umpires cheat. AFL HQ cheats. The reasons are the same. Self-advantage. And the advantage of the boys' club. The media routinely ignores it or howls down the complaints because their jobs depend upon them doing so. Again, it's self-advantageous.

There shall be media exceptions, like Richo who clearly believes in fairness. But they're few and far between. And that's why it won't bother the boys' club if he says something now and again. It just helps reinforce the idea that it's a minority view so can be ignored as being just plain wrong.

Besides, supporters of 17 other clubs couldn't care less about what Richo says, if he's not praising their lot. Most would rather their club won for a lie than lost for the truth.

doesn't the RFC understand that this umpiring will eventually screw the club over.
  • player are starting to get frustrated and are playing with what's the point attitude.
  • no player would want to come to a club that is constantly getting screwed over
  • attendances will start to drop off because supporters are losing interest.
  • memberships will start to suffer.
all because the RFC are too soft to stand up to the CFL and in the end will have no one to blame but themselves.
do something FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just came got back from the game, the worst game of football I have seen for many years. The umpiring was an absolute joke.
Went to my first game this year. I was calm all game until the frustration of BS umpiring got to me in the end. Absolutely appealing, inconsistent rubbish they dished our to us today.

umpires have broken Richmond players hearts and spirits :( you could tell in the last quarter they were just going through the motions.... knowing hard work doesn't get rewarded if you are wearing a richmond jumper.
Yep that was really obvious, the umpires completely killed any momentum we had. If this happed in European soccer the umpire would have been torn apart by the supporters. AFL is a corrupt amateur comp

Yep that was really obvious, the umpires completely killed any momentum we had. If this happed in European soccer the umpire would have been torn apart by the supporters. AFL is a corrupt amateur comp
infuriating really, especially when you know as we all do, but the media won't say a peep about it. they are too scared.... they know where their bread is buttered.

Last edited:
Even if the club don't think we're getting shafted, they should speak up on behalf of the fans and ask for some clarification around the umpiring decisions in our games. It feels like we've had a dozen major controversial umpiring moments over the past few years that have been waved away by the AFL as technically correct, only to see the same things go the opposite way against us in later games. Every game we see multiple inconsistencies in what is punished and rewarded. Fans of every club can see it with their own teams and hate it, but the stats show that we're copping it worse than anyone.

We've become a weak mediocre club. Too inept to call out the obvious agenda against us from the CFL.

Add that to the pathetic fitness/high performance team that we allow to continue to cripple our players.

Club is on it's knees. Do the supporters care anymore or nah?
It's because Gale is only concearned about towing the company line. He should be in politics

I have been concerned about the direction of the club administration for a few years now. The penny dropped for me when covid hit and the club was virtue signalling everything the Government said (we don't need another propaganda machine in RFC we already have the main stream media doing all the dirty work). I was so disgusted over some of the comments Gale made I called the club to complain and told them that I don't agree with Gales comments and he should stick to football. I also said "I am a member of the club and he doesn't speak on my behalf regarding this matter".

I know I will cop a lot of shit over this post but I don't give a shit

Back