The umpiring error that cost us our season

Remove this Banner Ad

For maybe the millionth time there is no extremely complex calculation or computer program to look at the triangulation of the ball. It’s literally just having a basic understanding of high school mathematics, you can look at the three camera angles and if they’re all over the post then the ball is over the post.

And for the millionth time nobody on here cares what you think.

For maybe the millionth time there is no extremely complex calculation or computer program to look at the triangulation of the ball. It’s literally just having a basic understanding of high school mathematics, you can look at the three camera angles and if they’re all over the post then the ball is over the post.

Yeah except that doesn't exist and it didn't happen.

The footage of the ball "over the post" is impossible to say its not behind the post. All footage we have seen suggest that. If there was a simple answer to this, we would have it. The AFL has no silver bullet, otherwise it would proudly waltz about with it.

Also, the rule actually is -it goes to the umpires call if the footage is not conclusive. The footage was 100% not conclusive. Any non biased person would 100% agree with this. I have asked around 10 people here in QLD who hate AFL & asked them to watch several views & "do you reckon that was definitely a point, a goal - or - do u think its too hard to say

Not a single person was willing to put it as a definite anything.

The idea that this is some simple open/close thing is utter bullshit and you know it. You know the rule. You know how it has been applied. And you know this outcome was absolute bullshit.

AFL fans need to drop the bias as the game is literally drifting away. I watch replays from the 90's and the game was SO MUCH EASIER to understand the rules

Watching the “Untold” series on NF at the moment. Really good docos. the “Flagrant Foul” one is very relevant to our situation and shows corruption at all levels of sport administration. Don’t want to be a spoiler but it sheds a very poor light on the NBA, it’s management, officials and chief. Worth a look.

Right you mean like this? Triangulation my arse. Ball went through below post height and it didn’t hit the post either.
81dcd7df93e274d018770883972d327f.jpg

Right you mean like this? Triangulation my arse. Ball went through below post height and it didn’t hit the post either.
81dcd7df93e274d018770883972d327f.jpg

100% spot on. You can literally see this when you watch & time the Right pocket fan footage. its 2 full seconds from the moment the ball hits his boot to when the ball is "above" the post. The ball only had to travel 5m, there is no way the ball takes 2 seconds to travel so small of distance & you can just ******* see it goes through below the maximum post height before it swings up a crap load

Watching the “Untold” series on NF at the moment. Really good docos. the “Flagrant Foul” one is very relevant to our situation and shows corruption at all levels of sport administration. Don’t want to be a spoiler but it sheds a very poor light on the NBA, it’s management, officials and chief. Worth a look.

Yes I’ve watched that, know exactly what you mean.

And they did all this in 7 seconds?

It's strange how all season if it's not 100% clear it goes back to the umpires call and in this case.............

This this this this a million times over!

If they had all of this in 7 seconds and therefore it was obvious and definitive then happy days - we would be disappointed but not as aggrieved...
But let's face it, this is all data since the event and cover-up, so at the end of the day it was some faceless dudes opinion on the night.

Fact is - we were dudded!

So I've pinched this screen grab from another post in the thread. The ball is apparently on top of the goal post here.
1663715473692.png

I took that into photoshop, drew a red line along the length of the ball, which from the top shot looks like the length of the ball, and copied the red line and put it next to the top of the goal post.

The top of the goal post is 75mm according to AFL goal post standards

I've got a match ball here and it's 300mm long. 75/300 = 25%

If that ball was on top of the post, the post would fill up 1/4 the length of the red line. We can see here the goal post represents about half the red line.

That means the ball is either smaller, or it's further away from the goal post, as in, it's not on top of the goal post.

1663715523444.png

So I've pinched this screen grab from another post in the thread. The ball is apparently on top of the goal post here.
View attachment 1514012

I took that into photoshop, drew a red line along the length of the ball, which from the top shot looks like the length of the ball, and copied the red line and put it next to the top of the goal post.

The top of the goal post is 75mm according to AFL goal post standards

I've got a match ball here and it's 300mm long. 75/300 = 25%

If that ball was on top of the post, the post would fill up 1/4 the length of the red line. We can see here the goal post represents about half the red line.

That means the ball is either smaller, or it's further away from the goal post, as in, it's not on top of the goal post.

View attachment 1514013

Exactly. I said this nearly straight away - the scale of the ball goes from a footy to a tennis ball by the time it reaches the top height of the post. That mankes it impossible to be at the same distance.

The reality is we fans are doing more than we need to. We NEVER had to prove definitive proof that it was a goal. THEY had to prove the definitive proof it was a point & there is clearly nothing close to "definitive" proof of that....otherwise it would have been shown

Keep emailing the club for the AFLS response

Keep emailing the AFL

They wont respond, but they see it. The club will do something if members write in and ask for the club to persist as its jaded their love of the game etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on.

People who support oversea's leagues have known this for a while that the league will meddle to narratives as much as possible. The NBA have somewhat addressed a lot of it. Still happens, especially when "stretching out the series" to ensure more TV games etc. The AFL has always just copied over leagues so its always been predictable to think they have been doing this for some time.

We've lost this one. It's obvious that he over the goal post is wrong. the mystery footage doesn't exist. And nothing will make the AFL admit to losing us the game.

But I hope that the club has managed to get through to the AFL that these errors are a real problem and they have to stop. I hope that we can start getting a half decent adjudication from next year. Otherwise we start out 3+ goals behind most games.

Should have another shot man ran over the mark simple as that
Another aspect that has never and will never be properly reviewed and explained.

Lynch approaches, starts to veer off his line and Andrews immediately advances in front of the mark.

Field umpire does not move and has his left arm out and is still glancing left at the Lions players adjacent to the mark - at no stage before the kick is taken do his arms go up to signal play on and nothing is heard - kick is gone and Andrews is 2-3 meters over the mark.

We were dudded....

All the mechanisms and the environment for game manipulation to occur are in place. Incentives in the form of rating outcomes based on the closeness of the game, which teams rate better or will help grow the game long term and enough grey areas in the rules to manipulate outcomes with plausible deniability. The AFL acknowledges that they only get about 80% of umpiring decisions correct which provides the grey.

The year is 2122. It is approaching the 100th anniversary of the great ARC review decision. Supporters of the Richmond Football Club are still clamouring for an explanation that their ancestors promised them was coming.

Damien Hardwick III, current president of the football club, is expected to announce that a legal motion is in its final stages against the AFL in an attempt to avenge his grandfather’s legacy.

A promising young Richmond draftee has been chosen to play Tom Lynch in this year’s recreation of the fabled kick. “I’ve dreamed about this moment since I was a little kid,” he said, “I used to spend hours every day down at the oval perfecting the exact right foot checkside Lynch executed on the day.”

After the kick, a pantomime Brad Scott will come out onto the ground and declare the result a behind, at which point he will be jeered off by a lucky contingent of Richmond members who won the raffle to be involved in the festivities this year.

The year is 2122. It is approaching the 100th anniversary of the great ARC review decision. Supporters of the Richmond Football Club are still clamouring for an explanation that their ancestors promised them was coming.

Damien Hardwick III, current president of the football club, is expected to announce that a legal motion is in its final stages against the AFL in an attempt to avenge his grandfather’s legacy.

A promising young Richmond draftee has been chosen to play Tom Lynch in this year’s recreation of the fabled kick. “I’ve dreamed about this moment since I was a little kid,” he said, “I used to spend hours every day down at the oval perfecting the exact right foot checkside Lynch executed on the day.”

After the kick, a pantomime Brad Scott will come out onto the ground and declare the result a behind, at which point he will be jeered off by a lucky contingent of Richmond members who won the raffle to be involved in the festivities this year.
Stick to worrying about your own racist club buddy 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back