šŸ˜² Umpire appointments & discussion - Rounds 0, 1,2 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Shitcoast get love tapped by maggots now as afl need them making the 8 so need all the assistance they can get
gc hasnt lost a free kick count yet using dummas gameplan

they even beat the umpires favourites the dogs 28-20 in the free kick count

we were told its the way we play with dummas gameplan while he was with us

new coach, new gameplan still getting reamed

meanwhile dumma has won more free kick counts in 3 weeks than he won in 3 years at the tigers

gc hasnt lost a free kick count yet using dummas gameplan

they even beat the umpires favourites the dogs 28-20 in the free kick count

we were told its the way we play with dummas gameplan while he was with us

new coach, new gameplan still getting reamed

meanwhile dimma has won more free kick counts in 3 weeks than he won in 3 years at the tigers
But but but thereā€™s no umpire bias

Itā€™s actually really disheartening at the moment. When we are winning then who really cares. But when youā€™re losing and trying to get into the season, it really does get you down.

For whatever reason majority of umpires look for any excuse to pay a free kick against us. The problem is Iā€™m sure in review most decisions can be justified. But I could find a free kick in every single marking contest ever contested.

Weā€™ve now established itā€™s not our game style. Itā€™s not our coach. Itā€™s not ā€˜playing on the edgeā€™ (we laid 32 tackles on the weekend and our pressure was crap). It simply has to be bias ā€¦ subconscious or otherwise.

The weekend ends up a 5-goal game. If we get the 2-3 goals from soft free kicks Port received and they got none, the game is a nail biter.

Weā€™ve won 1 of our last 15 1-goal games or something stupid. If we had the rub with umpires we probably win half of those.

With so many games decided by small margins itā€™s costing us games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I know I said Iā€™ll stop about the umpires and focus on our playersā€™ discipline, but the Port game was just ridiculous. So I am going back to talking about the umps.

I want to talk about this article published today on the AFL. The article is here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1094791/pressure-down-tigers-appetite-for-the-fight-plummets

Specifically, it is this section:

Pressure was a key stake in the Tigers' triple flag era. They ranked in the top-five for pressure between 2017-2020 when they secured the 2017, 2019-20 premierships, with their pressure at its highest in the truncated 2020 campaign when they were the second-best in the AFL.

But the drop-off has been dramatic in recent seasons. In 2021, when Richmond missed the finals, its pressure ranked in a similar range at 10th in the AFL. In 2022, it dropped further back to 13th and last year it was 14th best in the League in a season of change for the Tigers, as Damien Hardwick departed mid-season after 14 years at the club.

This shows that weā€™re not a pressure side. We havenā€™t been for years. Even in 2022 when we made finals, we played very differently to our Premiership years. So, ā€œthe way we playā€ doesnā€™t really explain the constant negative differential we receive over the years. We were 13th in pressure in 2022, and it was one of our worst differential years.

I have watched many games not involving Richmond over the years like everyone else here, and the key problem I noticed is that we get held to the rules closer than any other team. Is it explicit bias? Is it implicit bias? I donā€™t know. But thatā€™s the main problem.

My suspicion says that itā€™s implicit. There is no real reason for umpires to collectively hate Richmond (from what we know), so I donā€™t think itā€™s hate. Maybe one or two, but not as a collective. Thatā€™s why I think itā€™s implicit bias, which I think stems from when we used to play ā€œon the edgeā€ (e.g., 2017).
In their minds, we are a team that still gives away a lot of free kicks because of how we used to play a long time ago. So we get adjudicated on reputation more than how we play IMO. Yes, the frees are mostly there, but

If you expect a team to give away more free kicks based on reputation/precedence, then you will pay more attention to them. You will see them slip up more than others. If you think someone is at risk of contravening rules more than another, then you will monitor them closer even if theyā€™re no different to anyone else.

Itā€™s time umpires check their implicit (or explicit biases because I honestly think itā€™s there for us. Itā€™s so frustrating watching games involving us nowadays because of this, andthey need to do something about it. Itā€™s not normal for a team to be bottom 2 in free kick differential for 7 years going on 8 (with the exception of 2019), so sort it out.

I know I said Iā€™ll stop about the umpires and focus on our playersā€™ discipline, but the Port game was just ridiculous. So I am going back to talking about the umps.

I want to talk about this article published today on the AFL. The article is here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1094791/pressure-down-tigers-appetite-for-the-fight-plummets

Specifically, it is this section:

This shows that weā€™re not a pressure side. We havenā€™t been for years. Even in 2022 when we made finals, we played very differently to our Premiership years. So, ā€œthe way we playā€ doesnā€™t really explain the constant negative differential we receive over the years. We were 13th in pressure in 2022, and it was one of our worst differential years.

I have watched many games not involving Richmond over the years like everyone else here, and the key problem I noticed is that we get held to the rules closer than any other team. Is it explicit bias? Is it implicit bias? I donā€™t know. But thatā€™s the main problem.

My suspicion says that itā€™s implicit. There is no real reason for umpires to collectively hate Richmond (from what we know), so I donā€™t think itā€™s hate. Maybe one or two, but not as a collective. Thatā€™s why I think itā€™s implicit bias, which I think stems from when we used to play ā€œon the edgeā€ (e.g., 2017).
In their minds, we are a team that still gives away a lot of free kicks because of how we used to play a long time ago. So we get adjudicated on reputation more than how we play IMO. Yes, the frees are mostly there, but

If you expect a team to give away more free kicks based on reputation/precedence, then you will pay more attention to them. You will see them slip up more than others. If you think someone is at risk of contravening rules more than another, then you will monitor them closer even if theyā€™re no different to anyone else.

Itā€™s time umpires check their implicit (or explicit biases because I honestly think itā€™s there for us. Itā€™s so frustrating watching games involving us nowadays because of this, andthey need to do something about it. Itā€™s not normal for a team to be bottom 2 in free kick differential for 7 years going on 8 (with the exception of 2019), so sort it out.
its afl orders

its afl orders
Loool

I give you one thing that makes this a bit more suspicious, and that is how they adjudicate us when the game is winnable for us in the 4th quarter (or when weā€™re close to making finals). Umpiring is at it worst in those moments. Example is our 4th quarters against Carlton and Port Adelaide this year. There is a plethora of examples in previous years too.

Other than that though, we probably canā€™t say whether it is explicit bias without knowing more about the internal environment of the AFL. Weā€™ve had Gillon and Dillon as CEOs since this started, and not much has changed as of now

Loool

I give you one thing that makes this a bit more suspicious, and that is how they adjudicate us when the game is winnable for us in the 4th quarter (or when weā€™re close to making finals). Umpiring is at it worst in those moments. Example is our 4th quarters against Carlton and Port Adelaide this year. There is a plethora of examples in previous years too.

Other than that though, we probably canā€™t say whether it is explicit bias without knowing more about the internal environment of the AFL. Weā€™ve had Gillon and Dillon as CEOs since this started, and not much has changed as of now
royal commission

People will say that free kick counts shouldn't be even, and I agree, if they were always even it would have to mean the umpires are purposely trying to even the ledger every game. So one team losing by 10 frees shouldn't be a huge eyebrow raiser.

However, when the same team loses it, considerably, EVERY. SINGLE. GAME. and has been doing so considerably for now the 8th season running, surely there's something in it.

I'm sick of non-Richmond people immediately saying "shut up, it's not why you lost", but FFS we're rarely saying anything about it being the reason we lost (sometimes we are, like against Carlton, hello De Koning and the soft 50 I mean 75 metre penalty leading to a crucial goal), but we're absolutely pulling our hair out in frustration over all of the non-calls, and the trigger-happy whistles against us. If it was someone else's team in our boat for now the 8th year running, I guarantee they would be asking questions and angry too.

In fact, just look at every other club's game day thread, they complain about free kicks just as much as we do, only we have actual numbers to show how badly we're treated.

WTF gives, seriously?!

No the free kick counts donā€™t have to be even, but there shouldnā€™t be such a disparity either. I mean 23-13 or whatever it was. Seriously? And itā€™s always like that.
Other teams can just do what they like to us but we are penalised instantly if we infringe in the slightest.

The Pies fans copped it once against the Saints and completely lost their s**t. Imagine if they got our umpiring every week?

At least it seems some of the media (Tony Shaw, Mark Allen) might be noticing how badly we are being shafted. I expect they will be told to be quiet if they want to keep their jobs.

Very low tackle count by Richmond but still rorted by the cheats.
But as I and others have said,if we get smashed by a team and it's all over at half time,just watch the umps give us frees then.

They hate us,there is no other reason.

Even in the past,"Good luck with that" to Jack Riewoldt trying to mentally put him off before attempting his 60 metre plus torp which went through.
We all got great satisfaction over that.
Our games are umpired like bay 13 Oppo haters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going away this weekend. I'm glad I can't go to the game. So many supporters around me at their wits end against Port. Club does nothing. I'm struggling to check out fully because I want to support the players but I can no longer justify going to away games. And for home games I refuse to spend any money at the ground.

Notice the difference between the AFL & NRL when it comes to umpiring mistakes. NRL have honest discussions and arguments over bad calls yet in the CFL we give everything the "all clear" and our media don't want to talk about it in case they get blacklisted by the CFL.

Karen Cornes last night on Footy Classified (I usually don't watch it but got sucked into the promo) even had a dig at Richmond giving away poor free kicks and highlighted the Lynch 50 LOL

Last edited:
royal commission
I know youā€™re being sarcastic but a lot of people gamble their money on the game. If there is bias no matter what the cause and the AFL is not open and fair in at least investigating the bias then the gambling commission or gambling ombudsmen should get involved. It may not be AFL bias, it might be spot ambling syndicates involved but if the AFL wonā€™t be transparent how will we ever know. I really donā€™t care what the cause is but the lack of any open review system surely must put the AFL right to run the league at risk if something eventually comes out.

I know youā€™re being sarcastic but a lot of people gamble their money on the game. If there is bias no matter what the cause and the AFL is not open and fair in at least investigating the bias then the gambling commission or gambling ombudsmen should get involved. It may not be AFL bias, it might be spot ambling syndicates involved but if the AFL wonā€™t be transparent how will we ever know. I really donā€™t care what the cause is but the lack of any open review system surely must put the AFL right to run the league at risk if something eventually comes out.
its gonna come out sooner rather than later

We need an investigative reporter to honey trap scumpires into exposing their plans to cheat the Tigers Gru.
u know any good pi's

forward details to tasmania gale

u know any good pi's

forward details to tasmania gale

I used to be a very bad PI. What I was good at in that line was repossessing cars. We could just take possession of every umpire's car when they are at training, and tell them if they want their car back, we want fair umpiring, with a little bit back our way for all the years of suffering. When they come to collect their cars we can maybe give them a bit of physical attention just to get their minds right as well. ******* campaigners.

I used to be a very bad PI. What I was good at in that line was repossessing cars. We could just take possession of every umpire's car when they are at training, and tell them if they want their car back, we want fair umpiring, with a little bit back our way for all the years of suffering. When they come to collect their cars we can maybe give them a bit of physical attention just to get their minds right as well. ******* campaigners.

Should have paid that Adelaide supporter to wear a Richmond jumper and smash an umpy last week.

needs more bribe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back