General MFC discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How do you correctly use a question mark once, and then not use it the second time you asked a question in the same post?
I went to comment on a poster using both the correct and incorrect use of the word 'there' in the same sentence yesterday but refrained. Most of the time with that word it seems like people take it in turns between 'their', 'there' and 'they're' whenever they post. Stopped clocks and all that..

Ahhhh, the classic "english is terrible these days" rants that have come up every generation since before Shakespeare.

Everyone feels the English language should halt its evolution at precisely the point they learned it. <----- ending in punctuation = arsehole
What would you know? You're Russian :p

Also, total BS what you said with "precisely where they learned it". I was born in the 70s and I'd say English was just fine in any generation from Shakespeare right through til when technology like twitter etc came along and made language a coolness competition. There goes your "precisely" theory. It's pretty much the last 10 years for me - I had no problem with it until quite recently. And I notice it because I teach young kids music for a living and you can trust me that their skills with expressing themselves is really terrible compared to previous decades.

I totally agree that people seem to struggle with basic language skills these days. However, I think now with all of us perpetually connected to some form of device, the current vernacular is pretty much in your face all day every day. People are bound to notice it way more.

Sorta weather events these days. Because everyone everywhere are now being used as faux reporters for new outlets, we now get reports of every single storm that happens anywhere on any day. This makes everyone feel like there are way more intense weather events happening than there used to be. It's not the case. There were always storms, it's just that pre internet/social media, we pretty much only had 1 or 2 at most half hour news reports every day.

Some people have always used pretty crappy english (and other languages). It's just now in our faces way more. Mostly due to the internet.

Whoa whoa whoa I hope you are not referencing me here on the back of a slip up.
Genuine mistake. Can grammar!
Nah mate. Not referencing you at all. In fact, I was so confused with that exchange that I now genuinely don't know whether I should be ending my posts with punctuation or not (.)

What would you know? You're Russian :p

Also, total BS what you said with "precisely where they learned it". I was born in the 70s and I'd say English was just fine in any generation from Shakespeare right through til when technology like twitter etc came along and made language a coolness competition. There goes your "precisely" theory. It's pretty much the last 10 years for me - I had no problem with it until quite recently. And I notice it because I teach young kids music for a living and you can trust me that their skills with expressing themselves is really terrible compared to previous decades.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that things like text messaging and twitter (things that encourage more condensed text) haven't changed the way language is used, I'm just saying that it is evolving as it always has.

And in response, seeing as you've brought up your profession as support, I'm a scientist. And what you're demonstrating there is called confirmation bias, the plague of all observed evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to disturb the literature lesson but I think we got Luke Power on board if I'm not mistaken?

I'm not for a moment suggesting that things like text messaging and twitter (things that encourage more condensed text) haven't changed the way language is used, I'm just saying that it is evolving as it always has.

And in response, seeing as you've brought up your profession as support, I'm a scientist. And what you're demonstrating there is called confirmation bias, the plague of all observed evidence.

So where do generalisations like, "Everyone feels the English language should halt its evolution at precisely the point they learned it. <----- ending in punctuation = arsehole", fit within your scientific discourse? You being a scientist is not even germaine to this discussion. Are you in a field relating to children? If you had any specific scientific knowledge on this matter, why wouldn't you use it?

There's a different modality when discussing this issue on a footy forum, but if you want to take me on in a scientific way, I'm happy to do that. You've made a big assumption already that because I'm teaching music to kids that I don't have a background in science - and you'd be wrong about that. (Confirmation bias?) Ask me about my background if you're interested. But if we go down that path, the modality of discussion changes - then we both have to be very careful with what we hypothesise and we have to find evidence for everything we say. You do realise that when you made that statement quoted above, you were exhibiting your own confirmation bias, don't you? Your gut reaction was that everybody who comments on the development of English fits your preconceived notions.

I didn't present my comments in a scientific way because it's not suitable for this forum. Your initial comment wasn't at all scientific either. So it's a bit rich for you come in now with your scientific grandstanding as though you're revealing something. I can go toe-to-toe with you anytime you like. Even laymen on forums use the old "confirmation bias" argument these days. Big whoop. I'm willing to bet that I can much more easily find evidence to support declining literacy rates in children than you can find evidence that "Everyone feels the English language should halt its evolution at precisely the point they learned it". Scientifically speaking, that was a totally preposterous notion - it's useless because it's not measurable. Not even falsifiable because you can doubt the truthfulness of subjective statements.

Being in the education system, don't you think I'm aware of the problem of declining literacy rates in schools? Do you think I based my opinion purely on my own clientele? I can dig out the evidence if you want it - I just don't have it to hand. I have colleagues that have the statistical trends from NAPLAN tests that show what I'm saying is true. Would that be scientific enough for you?

So where do generalisations like, "Everyone feels the English language should halt its evolution at precisely the point they learned it. <----- ending in punctuation = arsehole", fit within your scientific discourse? You being a scientist is not even germaine to this discussion. Are you in a field relating to children? If you had any specific scientific knowledge on this matter, why wouldn't you use it?

There's a different modality when discussing this issue on a footy forum, but if you want to take me on in a scientific way, I'm happy to do that. You've made a big assumption already that because I'm teaching music to kids that I don't have a background in science - and you'd be wrong about that. (Confirmation bias?) Ask me about my background if you're interested. But if we go down that path, the modality of discussion changes - then we both have to be very careful with what we hypothesise and we have to find evidence for everything we say. You do realise that when you made that statement quoted above, you were exhibiting your own confirmation bias, don't you? Your gut reaction was that everybody who comments on the development of English fits your preconceived notions.

I didn't present my comments in a scientific way because it's not suitable for this forum. Your initial comment wasn't at all scientific either. So it's a bit rich for you come in now with your scientific grandstanding as though you're revealing something. I can go toe-to-toe with you anytime you like. Even laymen on forums use the old "confirmation bias" argument these days. Big whoop. I'm willing to bet that I can much more easily find evidence to support declining literacy rates in children than you can find evidence that "Everyone feels the English language should halt its evolution at precisely the point they learned it". Scientifically speaking, that was a totally preposterous notion - it's useless because it's not measurable. Not even falsifiable because you can doubt the truthfulness of subjective statements.

Being in the education system, don't you think I'm aware of the problem of declining literacy rates in schools? Do you think I based my opinion purely on my own clientele? I can dig out the evidence if you want it - I just don't have it to hand. I have colleagues that have the statistical trends from NAPLAN tests that show what I'm saying is true. Would that be scientific enough for you?

I cede stranger, you're obviously a much better scientist than me...... and teacher..... and over-reactor to strangers on football forums.

If you want to straw man what i said, and propose assumptions that you think I've made just to attack what was a mundane comment everyone else seemed to understand the boundaries of........ ahhhh forget it. I honestly don't care.

So that Melbourne footy club, eh?

I cede stranger, you're obviously a much better scientist than me...... and teacher..... and over-reactor to strangers on football forums.

If you want to straw man what i said, and propose assumptions that you think I've made just to attack what was a mundane comment everyone else seemed to understand the boundaries of........ ahhhh forget it. I honestly don't care.

So that Melbourne footy club, eh?
You brought "I'm a scientist" and "confirmation bias" into it. Too late to take that line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back