Position 2017 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really seeing many people with Jake Lloyd in their sides, probably plays more midfield now that Mitchell has stuffed off.

The place to take risks this year is in the forward line where the only guy averaging a tonne is old and only has one knee and the guy next in line is a KPF averaging 97.8 (JJK)

Backline consists of 9 or 10 part or full time midfielders in the top 15 from last year.
Backline is the hardest line to pick but it's also the clearest line on not who to pick.

Lloyd is a good kid but Heeney and Mills are just as likely to get extra midfield minutes and are cheaper with Heeney being FWD selectable.

DraftPunk
You asked about Tom Langdon a while back, no?
If you're already up to speed, ignore, else, this is all I've been able to glean (others can correct if they know more, this is just based on media / Pies board)
Pre-Christmas: Rehab, no participation in main sessions
Post-Christmas: Back walking and running laps, but no participation in drills etc.
If he ends up in the mix come round 1, sounds like it would be despite a compromised pre-season. Again, others closer to it might have better / more info.

Anyone know if there was a change in Burgoyne's role at the end of last year?

Pre bye = 2/14 games were tons, 83 average.
Post bye = 8/10 games were tons, 111 average.

Because Burgers can play pretty much any role (well not ruck) and play it well, his performance is heavily influenced by what the team needs him to do. I think he did spend more time away from defence in the latter part of the year when we needed his influence in the middle and forward.

I wouldn't pick him. I expect we will look to keep his workload as light as possible early in the year. Again he might be a good pick later in the year especially if we are fighting for top 4 or top 8 and really need his influence. It seems many of his best scores last year were in the close games and the must win games (could be coincidence).

Burgers best score for year in descending order with Hawks result 159 (win by 5 R17 v Syd), 130 (win by 1 R23 v Pies), 121 (win by 3), 111 (win by 22), 109 (win by 70), 109 (win by 48), 108 (loss by 2), 107 (loss by 19), 106 (loss by 25), 102 (loss by 23)

I was just about to post about Burgoyne - in a diminished midfield, I expect far more time up the ground getting ball and can see him being a top 3 defender. I won't start with him, but I'll watch him closely.

I was just about to post about Burgoyne - in a diminished midfield, I expect far more time up the ground getting ball and can see him being a top 3 defender. I won't start with him, but I'll watch him closely.

I disagree - even though he has shown extraordinary durability over the last 6 years, his in game and in season workloads (specifically time in the middle) is managed very carefully because of his knees. At least that's how I understand things. Other Hawks posters might know more detail.

Determinant it would be much appreciated old mate if you could tell me how Zac Williams is tracking so far in the off season, cheers.
Thus far tracking exactly how you want him to, no better, no worse.
He will be a backline star for the giants for a few years yet :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because Burgers can play pretty much any role (well not ruck) and play it well, his performance is heavily influenced by what the team needs him to do. I think he did spend more time away from defence in the latter part of the year when we needed his influence in the middle and forward.

I wouldn't pick him. I expect we will look to keep his workload as light as possible early in the year. Again he might be a good pick later in the year especially if we are fighting for top 4 or top 8 and really need his influence. It seems many of his best scores last year were in the close games and the must win games (could be coincidence).

Burgers best score for year in descending order with Hawks result 159 (win by 5 R17 v Syd), 130 (win by 1 R23 v Pies), 121 (win by 3), 111 (win by 22), 109 (win by 70), 109 (win by 48), 108 (loss by 2), 107 (loss by 19), 106 (loss by 25), 102 (loss by 23)
Agree, Silk seems to only give 100 per cent when needed.
Always been in a good team.
He's had the luxury of cruising most of his career and this is probably why he is so durable.
I reckon if he has to put in 100 percent all year he won't be able to do it.

What are people's thoughts on Rance. 97 & 98 last 2 years. Should be a solid pick again this year. Has him last year and was pretty happy with that pick.
Can't go wrong IMO.
Plays every game.
CD love him nearly as much as Bruces hard on for Cyril.
Richmond suck so the ball is always down there.
Standard deviation is elite.
Looking like a POD this year.

If you like it then you shoulda put a lock on it

What are people's thoughts on Rance. 97 & 98 last 2 years. Should be a solid pick again this year. Has him last year and was pretty happy with that pick.

I've got Montagna and Laird ahead of him same as Fooler, currently my D1 and D2. Pretty safe bet that Rance will be top 10 again but he seems to score more in losses than wins and the Tigers have 6 or 7 winnable games from their first 10 so I've decided to try grab him a bit cheaper as an upgrade.

Can't go wrong IMO.
Plays every game.
CD love him nearly as much as Bruces hard on for Cyril.
Richmond suck so the ball is always down there.
Standard deviation is elite.
Looking like a POD this year.

If you like it then you shoulda put a lock on it
Yeah I haven't locked him in but can see him going high 90s again. Very reliable and as you said CD love him which is very important.
He's definitely very close to being in my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back