Game Day JLT Community Series - Carlton v Melbourne Game Day Discussion/Autopsy

Remove this Banner Ad

So that means that you agree with me that Dwayne Russell was giving FAKE NEWS about Carlton then.

You say you would have 2 ins instead of the ones Carlton EXPERIMENTED with yesterday. Armfield kicked 3 goals or whatever against Adelaide last year and could squeeze into top 22 in my opinion. Either way, we agree it WASN'T Carlton's strongest team in their set positions.

Dwayne said this WAS CARLTON'S BEST TEAM POSSIBLE with the exception of Cripps.

Dwayne has an agenda. For years he has been belittling Carlton. If you can't see it with that type of comment then you can't spot a commentator with an anti-Carlton agenda. His comments could even have a flow-on effect with membership, and merchandise sales.

He shouldn't be commentating on Carlton matches. Jason Dunstall-who experienced losing finals to Carlton - has more level-headedness and maturity by far than Dwayne.

I just don't really care. If you don't like it put it on mute.

Are people really questioning why Hawthorn get cut more slack in the media than Carlton?

Really....

The same Hawthorn that has recently won 4 premierships to Carltons um,erm,um...
You're living in fantasy land if you don't think they have deserved that.

But in today's world everyone gets a medal.

You need to earn respect before it's given. We've earnt jack. If we're being honest the media have every right to treat us with disdain. Carlton have been irrelevant as a football club for well into a second decade.

We'll get respect when we earn it, and that's how it should be.

For those who couldn't make it
1018516-flagellants.jpeg

This is a rebuild. Therefore dont waste your emotions on the win loss ratio for the next 2 seasons. Dont draw a line between our win loss ratio,the board and football department. We are clearly undermanned in the midfield. We will regret taking SPS over Brodie....Patience people.....you can only start to judge bolts after 4 full seasons
Yeah, that'll happen.

Are people really questioning why Hawthorn get cut more slack in the media than Carlton?

Really....

You need to earn respect before it's given. We've earnt jack. If we're being honest the media have every right to treat us with disdain. Carlton have been irrelevant as a football club for well into a second decade.

the Haws also get cut a lot more slack in the free kick department as a Haws fan acknowledged the other day, so when you are down the bottom you cop it from all angles, the press included but that does not make it right !!!

You also need to take into account the motivating factors of each coach.
Goodwin has bn given the keys to an AFL owned and maintained Lambo that's had a major re-build that's taken 4 years (and a a bazillion $$) to get to this point.

He want's wins, the club will and the AFL will s**t a sea mine if they don't improve on last year. He's picking his best team and getting them to play the way HE wants them to play in the season proper, NOW.

Bolts picked up the keys to the engineless XU1 Torana in November 2015. Him and SOS have taken it back to paint and now they are re-bulding it. He could not give a fig what the scoreboard says, they're still buying parts and seeing if they can get them to work. That's the purpose of this series for us.

Given the secrecy surrounding our training to date it wouldn't surprise me if we are not even implementing our game plan in full until round one. Why have exclusively closed sessions if you're just going to show your hand in a trial game?

Half of me buys in to this. Seemed yesterday that there wasn't much structure or game plan at all, which was evident in how easily Melbourne moved the ball forward. Wouldn't be surprised if, in trying players in different spots on the ground, the instructions yesterday were to "play the position how you think it should be played" with very little focus on the game plan. At least I hope so, as I didn't see many structures yesterday.

The other half of me thinks it's playing with fire to not test the season-proper game plan in our practice matches. Not showing the game plan in the JLT CS only gives us an advantage for Round 1, as come then we would have revealed it to the rest of the competition. Is it worth not testing & reiterating a game plan you've been teaching for 4 months purely for an advantage in 1 game? Probably not....

Without even watching the game I can name 3 blokes who played hardly any footy at all last year due to injury

Murph
Pickett
Marchbank

No Cripps

Lebois and Fisher in debut

No Cripps

Cuners and Curnow in there second pre season with not much exposure to senior footy last year

No Cripps

SOS on a back flank and weiters up fwd.(looked good on the lead)

Is this bizarro world; or are people genuinely upset we didn't win by 6 goals ??

Oh and Cripps wasn't playing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Basically what you're emphasising is the club has a very unhealthy reliance on Cripps.. and if he walks away from footy.. or gets injured we don't have Cripps ad that's a massive excuse?

Didn't get near it first half - second half was better but natural ball getters like Fisher surpassed his 9 disposals in just a half of footy.

They were 9 pretty good touches though.

Do you see a place in the side for him this year? Or another year of development in the 2's?

Last edited:

Really....

Maybe irrelevant to you, but certainly not to the majority of Carlton supporters.

Seriously, I think some Carlton supporters hate our club more than opposition supporters do. I don't understand why some people torture themselves so much by following our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5-0 after five weeks?

Tigers, maybe.
Bombers: unlikely given they will be at full strength. They see themselves as top 8.
Melb: unlikely.they should make the 8.
Gold Coast: maybe: have some serious talent.
Port in Adelaide: 50/50 at best .

maybe someone who's a punter could work out what that combination would pay if bet today.

I reckon it might be over 100-1.

We will beat Richmond Round One

5-0 after five weeks?

Tigers, maybe.
Bombers: unlikely given they will be at full strength. They see themselves as top 8.
Melb: unlikely.they should make the 8.
Gold Coast: maybe: have some serious talent.
Port in Adelaide: 50/50 at best .

maybe someone who's a punter could work out what that combination would pay if bet today.

I reckon it might be over 100-1.
$2.40
$2.60
$3.60
$2.20
$2.60

5-leg multi, 128/1.

*prices plucked straight from my Chaminda & subject to fluctuation. Also (insert greasy car salesman look)...please gamble responsibly.

Didn't get near it first half - second half was better but natural ball getters like Fisher surpassed his 9 disposals in just a half of footy.

They were 9 pretty good touches though.
His bouncing run through the middle was great... until he fumbled it!

It's a practice game people, anyone who has played in one before would understand how much you hold back. It's hard to care.

Anyway, all we can do is take the postives and move on to the next meaningless match.

Marchbank was super impressive, was able to zone off and take a heap of intercept marks. His skills for a big man are very very good. Not sure how he will go in the one on one contests against bigger bodies at this stage but the signs are great!

Pickett and Lebois looked good from limited opportunity. Looks like we'll have a bit of depth at the small forward spot this year.

Liked Weitering forward. He looks so natural there, I'm all for it as a permanent thing.

I really liked what I saw from Charlie. He looks a presence out there, looked great in the middle. He flew for marks and was a threat in the air. Definitely needs to spend a fair chunk of games in the middle but he's going to be very dangerous up forward.

Fisher showed exactly what I thought he would. Very zippy and a high intensity player, just one of the guys that is seemingly never out of a contest. He'll play round 1.

Casboult had a reasonable game. He and Rowe showed that unfortunately they are still important players to our structure.

Not too much else but at this stage of the year, that's all you want. A few positives signs from the young blokes and something to build on for next week.

No point over thinking the result.
Good Post this ! Possibly the best one on this thread. I was at the game in "sunny" Cranbourne yesterday and saw the same things..Marchbank is super impressive..as are all the other guys mentioned in the post above. At this stage though..we are exactly where we need to be. Need to sort out the kids and see whose got 150 -200 games in em and who doesnt. Needless to say..Boekhurst, Graham et al will not play 200 games for Carlton..

The wraps on marchbank were about his intercept marking. He took at least 3 or 4 of his 10 marks as intercept marks in the backline.

Pretty obvious he can read the incoming ball really well which will be an asset for the club, if the rest of his game is ok he will be a valuable player.

I'd like to see him play in and under. He doesn't have the nous to play as an outside runner at the moment, despite his athletic attributes.
Too soft to be an in and under player. Goes weak at the knees when its crunch time. If he makes it, it will be as an outside link up payer where he can use his speed.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dwayne was one of the commentators on 3AW the day we played Port about 10(?) years ago. In the last quarter he and whoever was joining him on commentary basically chatted and joked among themselves for the entire quarter. At the end of the game they both couldn't understand why there were so many outraged supporters ringing up complaining. If my memory serves me correct Dwayne was gone from AW within the week. Considering his affiliation to Port I guess in his mind it MUST have been Carlton supporters who were really to blame.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'll never forget the time Juddy did his string and Dwayne was basically celebrating. You could hear the excitement in his voice as he repeatedly shouted 'Juddys cooked! He's cooked here!'

Hates the Blues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back