JLT Cup 2018/19 - Goodbye CA XI

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jlt...cket-australia-xi-fixture-schedule/2018-06-20

To summarise the best I can:
back to 6 teams. games across various states (sorry, not you SA or Tasmania). bullcrap finals system.
--------------------
Under the revised format, all six teams will take part in the finals when the 15 preliminary matches are completed.

At that point, qualifying finals will see the sixth-placed finisher meet third, and fifth play fourth in a round of qualifying finals, from where the respective winners will be drawn against the two top teams in a pair of semi-finals.

The victors will then play-off for the JLT Cup.

If only there were some smaller cricketing nations nearby who we could invite to join in the competition so that the states would have more matches and the knockouts wouldn't look ridiculous.
East Asia Pacific Championship, where the top two play in the JLT series, making it an 8 team comp.

All test nations should have a responsibility to help improve the next tier, for the good of the game.

JLT is a joke as it is now. Getting rid of the CAXI was a good move as it was a bunch of youngsters getting bullied.

Having the 6 state teams plus some teams like Hong Kong, Malaysia, PNG, Vanuatu, Singapore etc would be a great investment in the game... but considering we won't even host Bangladesh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hilton Cartwright and Mitchell Swepson were part of the original incarnation.
Cartwright had already spent a couple of years playing for WA at that point though.
And I think Cartwright was originally named in the WA squad for that season and then the Bangladesh tour was cancelled and he was moved across to the CA XI. He was, I believe, one of two or three additions to the CA XI squad despite the fact that a whole test squad went back into the selection pool for the six domestic teams, forcing out 14 or so players, which basically summed up the problem with the concept. Such a shame, a 7th domestic team is genuinely needed.

Good call to get rid of the CA XI. I understand the point of it, but just don't think it's going to get the results they wanted.

But WTF is that finals series? I've seen (and played in) plenty of competitions where all - or almost all - teams make finals, but these are amateur competitions and this is designed to keep people interested through the course of a season.... The JLT cup is (supposed to be) a professional competition and the stepping stone to ODI cricket. How is it possible there are people out there getting paid yet still come up with these decision? What a hollow up victory if you were to come last and turn it no for finals and win the competition.

does anybody know which games of the 13 ODD games are to be televised on foxtel? cant seem to find anything anywhere, but my WACA membership email tells me that that the 3 games at the WACA are going to be televised but not confirmed?

does anybody know which games of the 13 ODD games are to be televised on foxtel? cant seem to find anything anywhere, but my WACA membership email tells me that that the 3 games at the WACA are going to be televised but not confirmed?
I wrote this down when the fixture came out but can't remember the source:

Tues Sep 18: WA v SA @ WACA
Thurs Sep 20: SA v NSW @ WACA
Sat Sep 22: WA v SA @ WACA
Sun Sep 23: NSW v Vic @ North Sydney
Tue Sep 25: NSW v TAS @ North Sydney
Wed Sep 26: VIC v WA @ Junction oval
Sun Sep 30: VIC v SA @ Junction oval
Mon Oct 1: NSW v QLD @ Drummoyne Oval

Wed Oct 3: 3 v 6 @ North Sydney
Thurs Oct 4: 4 v 5 @ Drummoyne Oval
Sat Oct 6: Semi Final @ Drummoyne Oval
Sun Oct 7: Semi Final @ Junction oval
Wed Oct 10: Final @ Junction oval

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jlt...cket-australia-xi-fixture-schedule/2018-06-20

To summarise the best I can:
back to 6 teams. games across various states (sorry, not you SA or Tasmania). bullcrap finals system.
--------------------
Under the revised format, all six teams will take part in the finals when the 15 preliminary matches are completed.

At that point, qualifying finals will see the sixth-placed finisher meet third, and fifth play fourth in a round of qualifying finals, from where the respective winners will be drawn against the two top teams in a pair of semi-finals.

The victors will then play-off for the JLT Cup.

CA preparing us for the time when the series only consists of the 'final round' based on the previous years final standings.

How about this to fix the finals problem.

Two groups, three in each.
Play everyone in your group twice, the other group once. (Seven games before finals, no loss of games from the previous few years.)

Then a final four type format, group winners are considered 1st and 2nd, runners-up 3rd and 4th.

If CA want to keep a "tournament" style format, rather than before/after a Shield match, it is no longer than previous years while removing the lack of meaning in an "everybody plays finals" approach.
The tournament style makes sense for broadcasters, not having to pay to move equipment around the country for one day of low viewing. CA claim it fits better for world cups, and workload management, but I doubt either is the reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back