2018 All Australian Squad Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

To put the serious hat on for a second, Dusty absolutely deserved to make the squad. It’s almost unfortunate that his 2017 was so good because he will be forever judged against it.

Dusty would’ve sat comfortably in the “stiff to miss but who do you leave out” category for mine.

He had a good year (particularly in the last month), but he only had 3 great games against Carlton, Adelaide & Brisbane in the first 17 rounds. On the other hand, Macrae (outside of the 3 games he missed with injury) and Coniglio barely put a foot wrong over that same period.

Referring to my earlier post, Dusty was not a standout for that starting centre/midfield spot. I believe players less acknowledged should be given priority for AA selection in those circumstances.

Sidebottom instead of Jack Macrae is the only issue i have. Macrae was consistently sensational. Very Very stiff to miss out completely.

Dont disagree with Martin in the team, but at Centre ? Ranked about 20th for both contested ball and clearances and they pick him at the bounce ?

The budwah as captain ? Interesting but fair enough, cant complain :D:thumbsu: Looks like the old policy of picking a club captain is definitely gone now. Thats 2 yrs in a row now i think.

Congrats Jack Gunston. Well earnt. Good strong forward line.
No 1 for centre clearances in the league. Has played mainly as a mid/forward, so that's not a bad stat and justify's his midfield status.

Sidebottom instead of Jack Macrae is the only issue i have. Macrae was consistently sensational. Very Very stiff to miss out completely.

Dont disagree with Martin in the team, but at Centre ? Ranked about 20th for both contested ball and clearances and they pick him at the bounce ?

The budwah as captain ? Interesting but fair enough, cant complain :D:thumbsu: Looks like the old policy of picking a club captain is definitely gone now. Thats 2 yrs in a row now i think.

Congrats Jack Gunston. Well earnt. Good strong forward line.

According to AFL stats Martin is ranked second in centre clearances.

Buit anyway, named positions mean squat these days

I guess when Oliver is a premiership captain and Brownlow medallist then we can compare, boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't ever see Oliver being captain of the MFC. And nor does it matter. But I can envisage Norm Smith type performances should the team ever make a GF.

The Brownlow gives me no jollies. Shane Woewodin won a Brownlow. That said, Oliver is every chance.

But I'll be shocked if Oliver never earns AA honours again. Like Martin, Oliver will be a regular.

It's no slight on Cotchin. Oliver is just a better footballer. And he's 5 years from his prime.

I'm not sure why you're so sensitive. I guess you're one of those supporters that can't evaluate footy without seeing your club colours first.

I don't ever see Oliver being captain of the MFC. And nor does it matter. But I can envisage Norm Smith type performances should the team ever make a GF.

The Brownlow gives me no jollies. Shane Woewodin won a Brownlow. That said, Oliver is every chance.

But I'll be shocked if Oliver never earns AA honours again. Like Martin, Oliver will be a regular.

It's no slight on Cotchin. Oliver is just a better footballer. And he's 5 years from his prime.

I'm not sure why you're so sensitive. I guess you're one of those supporters that can't evaluate footy without seeing your club colours first.
So you dont care about the brownlow, but do care about AA? Huh? How about best and fairests then? Cotchin has 3 of those.
Oliver is a loooong way off matching Cotchys career.

And captaincy does matter. Cotchy is the reason Richmond turned it around and made the grand final in the first place. Just playing well in a grand final is awesome, but leading your team there is something else.

Oliver is not better than Cotch was in 2012 tho.
And 5 years from his prime? That means s**t all. You dont know when a players prime is, you dont know when they peak, thats just a complete guess. People would said the same about Cotchin in 2012 when that was his 2nd injury free year of footy.

I mean Dusty was no.2 for center clearances, only 2 behind Cripps, 2 in front of Mitchell and 9 in front of 4th placed Oliver. So center bounce kinda makes sense there. Thats the only reason I can think of, or else half forward probably wouldve made more sense.

Dusty would’ve sat comfortably in the “stiff to miss but who do you leave out” category for mine.

He had a good year (particularly in the last month), but he only had 3 great games against Carlton, Adelaide & Brisbane in the first 17 rounds. On the other hand, Macrae (outside of the 3 games he missed with injury) and Coniglio barely put a foot wrong over that same period.

Referring to my earlier post, Dusty was not a standout for that starting centre/midfield spot. I believe players less acknowledged should be given priority for AA selection in those circumstances.

Wow! A Tigers supporter who agrees with me! :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gray and Edwards the only two that are even remotely questionable....yet both have decent claims on a spot...couldnt be happier for Edwards too, love the way he carries himself....
but you could argue that they have picked and actual team , rather than just throwing a few midfielders in the FWD line out of position....

Not sure why so many Geelong supporters were dialling in this morning cracking the sads at Hawkins missing. He has had a good year but is definitely behind Riewoldt, Buddy and Gunston and Brown would be the one who comes in before Hawkins.

If Oliver's career mirrors Cotchin's I'll be disappointed. Cotchin is a terrific player, but Oliver is in another league.

Cotchin's one AA is an accurate reflection of his career.

Now, try getting over yourself, kid.

wow - if Oliver is half the player & leader that Cotchin is, you would be happy...."another league" ? not yet my friend, he has had 1.5 good seasons and is yet to prove himself in September.....

Jack Riewoldt has won the Coleman and missed selection, so it’s not a guarantee.

They key difference was goals from free kicks:

Brown: 16 / 61
Jack: 4 / 65

That's the exception, not the rule. Since 2000, only he and the G train have missed after winning the Coleman. That's as far as I know, but I'd imagine it's pretty consistent going further back.

But here's something I'll raise to you: why is goals from free kicks a bad thing? It means you're dangerous to the point that your opponent has to break the rules in order to stop you getting the ball. I've never seen a forward get held or blocked as much as Brown in my entire life, and I mean that with absolutely no exaggeration.

When I was at the MCG watching Dreamtime, they put up the "the important stats" on the big screen at half time. Essendon were well ahead in just about all of them but were being absolutely pumped on the scoreboard. Sometimes stats don't give you any idea of what's going on in a game. They certainly don't show what Edwards doesin a game. He, with Dusty, created most of the opportunities for us to score this year. This is in a team that won 18 games, two more than any other team.
His ability to create is difficult to capture stat wise. Certainly one can see it at the ground. That's why he got an AA position.

So you dont care about the brownlow, but do care about AA? Huh? How about best and fairests then? Cotchin has 3 of those.
Oliver is a loooong way off matching Cotchys career.

And captaincy does matter. Cotchy is the reason Richmond turned it around and made the grand final in the first place. Just playing well in a grand final is awesome, but leading your team there is something else.

Oliver is not better than Cotch was in 2012 tho.
And 5 years from his prime? That means s**t all. You dont know when a players prime is, you dont know when they peak, thats just a complete guess. People would said the same about Cotchin in 2012 when that was his 2nd injury free year of footy.
The Brownlow is nice, but I'd value AA selection as more meaningful. Woewodin won a Brownlow and didn't even make AA. That said, his Brownlow is more marketable.

Being the AFLCA player of the year is a higher honour than the Brownlow imo. And Cotchin already has one of those, so he has both, which is an excellent feat.

Life is full of generalities. It's hardly controversial to suggest Oliver should be a better player at 26 than 21. That would be the norm for most players. Why you'd try to argue otherwise is beyond me, but it gives me an introduction into your cognitive abilities.

Captains do matter, but Oliver being captain doesn't. Jack Viney will continue to develop into a great captain, so it's nice to have that base covered.

As for Oliver being a long way from matching Cotchin's career ? Wow, thanks for being so insightful. It's a revelation that a 57 game player hasn't had the time or opportunity to match the feats of a 218 game player. Oliver should be ashamed.

Oliver already has been AFLCA young player of the year. Already finished top 5 in the AFLCA player of the year. Already won a B&F. And he's also made AA in less games than any recent great you can think of except Robert Harvey, who he equaled (both 57 games).

As I said, if Oliver merely matches Cotchin's career I'll be disappointed.

AFL player ratings top 20 (minimum 15 games):

1 Gawn
2 Dangerfield
3 Grundy
4 Oliver
5 Fyfe
6 Martin
7 Franklin
8 Ward
9 = Zorko
= Naitanui
11 Bontempelli
12 Edwards
13 = Menegola
= Neale
= Cripps
= Cunnington
17 Parker
18 Macrae
19 = Higgins
= Pendlebury

I think this shows that players like Mitchell and Sidebottom were lucky and players like Ward and Bontempelli weren't. Fyfe misses because he missed a lot of games but Ward is a star.

The Brownlow is nice, but I'd value AA selection as more meaningful. Woewodin won a Brownlow and didn't even make AA. That said, his Brownlow is more marketable.

Being the AFLCA player of the year is a higher honour than the Brownlow imo. And Cotchin already has one of those, so he has both, which is an excellent feat.

Life is full of generalities. It's hardly controversial to suggest Oliver should be a better player at 26 than 21. That would be the norm for most players. Why you'd try to argue otherwise is beyond me, but it gives me an introduction into your cognitive abilities.

Captains do matter, but Oliver being captain doesn't. Jack Viney will continue to develop into a great captain, so it's nice to have that base covered.

As for Oliver being a long way from matching Cotchin's career ? Wow, thanks for being so insightful. It's a revelation that a 57 game player hasn't had the time or opportunity to match the feats of a 218 game player. Oliver should be ashamed.

Oliver already has been AFLCA young player of the year. Already finished top 5 in the AFLCA player of the year. Already won a B&F. And he's also made AA in less games than any recent great you can think of except Robert Harvey, who he equaled (both 57 games).

As I said, if Oliver merely matches Cotchin's career I'll be disappointed.
cotchin run of luck with afl is ridiculous
if the tigers didnt get a dream run, their flag could well have been a non event
jumper punches went un punished

Remove this Banner Ad

Back