Toast Tabs Signs Until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Shows his intent to try and cement his spot with strong competition from new recruits

Unless he is being ushered to move to the wing/half forward flank

Either way he is good cover and I admire him for how much he has put in over the past couple of seasons

Shows his intent to try and cement his spot with strong competition from new recruits

Unless he is being ushered to move to the wing/half forward flank

Either way he is good cover and I admire him for how much he has put in over the past couple of seasons
On friday he was the man starting deep most of the game.

Must be convinced that there is still a place for him in our best 22 which I'm happy with, even though it has been hard work he has improved a lot over the last few seasons and was looking dangerous before his injury last year.

Taberner, Hogan, Lobb (50-70% while rucking with Darcy) doesn't seem that overly tall and it'll be a fair marking challenge for any defence.

Guy might be a complete **** off field for all I know but last year he was averaging 15 disposals and a goal a game in a badly interrupted season, trying to be the key forward of one of the worst attacks in the league, while doing some rucking duty because we had so few options.

He may end up back at Peel but I still reckon if our new forward setup gels like we are all hoping he could be a handy 2-3 goals a game with a good mark and a big enough tank to move about the ground if needed.

Last edited:
Not sure about this one. Tabs could find himself at Peel for a lot of the year if things don't go well, and a 3 year deal for a WAFL player in his mid to late 20s is not good list management.

This makes me think Cox is being sent to the backline, because I don't think we can play Lobb, Hogan, Cox and Tabs in the 1 forward line.

I don't understand the concern here? We have a 25 year old KPF who has elite endurance and contested marking who should be entering the prime of his career sign on for three more years and now has two more KPF's to support him.

I mean, would people prefer we not re-sign him, have contract speculation all year and either replace him with another 18 year old in the 2019 draft who could take another 5+ years to develop and get into the first team and/or watch Tabs tear it up for another team?

A combination of Tabs, Hogan and Lobb, who all have big tanks that can rotate and drag their defenders all around the ground. We have so much versatility in our forward line which we've never had before. His role isn't to be a pressure forward.

Last edited:
Taberner is turning into a beast. Don't think a few in here have seen his contest improvement. He is one of the best contested marks in the league and will be a threat close to goal this year. Every year he gets stronger, continues to improve and most importantly increases his confidence in himself. He has gone from a timid forward to one that now believes in himself, is vocal and demands the ball. The addition of Hogan and Lobb in the forward line will only help him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Coley said last week, he's stolen Chris Tarrant's arms. He is a beast, an elite runner, just has to understand the game a bit better, and not have brain fades.

Improved every season to an extent. Growing into his body, the confidence in himself is huge now. Having that third defender, he is primed. Nothing but positive with HLT forward line now.

Unless there were rumblings about wanting to move for more opportunity, I just don't see the need to lock him in now. For 2 years. I would be waiting until the end of the year to gauge how a) Hogan's foot has progressed, b) how Lobb performed as a true KPP rather than a ruck/forward, c)Cox & Dixon's development, and d) how McCarthy went about his 2019.

Not unhappy about it, just curious. By June/July he could equally be our star FF, or depth at best.

I don't mind this at all.

Assuming Taberner continues with his progress from last season, he is easily best 22 and at worst our 3rd best KPF. Even if we did end up in a position where Cox or McCarthy are better options, ready made KPFs don't grow on trees and we'll easily get decent compensation.

One of the interesting things about extending Tabs right now is what does it suggest for Kersten, Dixon, McCarthy and Cox.

You would think that this is one of the nails in Kersten's footy coffin.

One of the interesting things about extending Tabs right now is what does it suggest for Kersten, Dixon, McCarthy and Cox.

You would think that this is one of the nails in Kersten's footy coffin.
Kersten’s writing on the wall was made when we got Lobb then Hogan. He couldn’t make the team even with Tabs as lone forward, even after Matt got injured. He’s done really.
Dixon is developing, that’s planned anyway. Cox is 20 and can be anything. KPD/KPF are a rare commodity.

Unless there were rumblings about wanting to move for more opportunity, I just don't see the need to lock him in now. For 2 years. I would be waiting until the end of the year to gauge how a) Hogan's foot has progressed, b) how Lobb performed as a true KPP rather than a ruck/forward, c)Cox & Dixon's development, and d) how McCarthy went about his 2019.

Not unhappy about it, just curious. By June/July he could equally be our star FF, or depth at best.
IMO it makes more sense to get it done now. At worst, he's the third preferred KPF option and/or plays at Peel, at best, he's a key part of the forward line going forward. If Jesse's foot was worse than thought and Tabs form continued to get better, he'd have more leverage in contract negotiations being a free agent and demanding more dollars to stick around. IMO Dixon is still a couple years away from first team footy and it's a make or break year for Cam. I think Kersten will be delisted at the end of they year if he can't reinvent himself as a defender.

Interesting signing in the preseason, am thinking can wait till mid season, but as a fan I’ll say it’s a good call.
I see a place for Tabs even with Hogan, Lobb and Cox available.
Have gotten better every year and I suspect he would have had his “breakout” season last year if not for the foot injury. Have definitely improved in his contested marking which we lacked in the past seasons.
Genuinely interested to see how he goes in our forward line this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back