Welcome Welcome Oscar McDonald [DFA Signing 2023]

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone like Keitel or do you mean Keitel?

What you do reckon the odds of a 27yo who's been overlooked 162 times for what one can only assume are good reasons, is actually any good? I'd say pretty close to zero.

Dude has even trained with us and we still aren't interested.
Nek minnut dude gets picked up in the 2nd round, ends up being a Brownlow votes pig, and WCE trade him in for about 3 years worth of picks.

Happy with this pick up as it digs us out of a hole with key back depth, BUT one thing I don’t get - we lost Hamling (talented, premiership player etc) because we won’t give him anymore than 1yr, then we recruit this fella with a 2yr deal. Massive facepalm. Hamling was settled, good leadership and experience. Should’ve just given him 2 yrs with trigger for a 3rd and actually kept some squad continuity.

Happy with this pick up as it digs us out of a hole with key back depth, BUT one thing I don’t get - we lost Hamling (talented, premiership player etc) because we won’t give him anymore than 1yr, then we recruit this fella with a 2yr deal. Massive facepalm. Hamling was settled, good leadership and experience. Should’ve just given him 2 yrs with trigger for a 3rd and actually kept some squad continuity.
No, we lost Hamling because Sydney offered him time at AFL level, we ended up matching 2 years

He wanted a chance to play AFL again, we couldn't offer him that, Mcdonald comes over knowing he is backup as its his 3rd chance

No, we lost Hamling because Sydney offered him time at AFL level, we ended up matching 2 years

He wanted a chance to play AFL again, we couldn't offer him that, Mcdonald comes over knowing he is backup as its his 3rd chance
What I heard was that we kept our deal at 1yr.

Hamling is injured a lot, not best 22, and will be 31 next year. You don't give those guys more than 1 year.

Oscar is 27 and in the VFL team of the season. He is good depth and to get him to uproot his life and come west he would've needed more than a 1 year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the games Oscar McDonald played for Carlton was a season opener against Richmond in 2021 where he came on early as a sub and played forward - kicked a couple of goals - one set shot from about 45m out on the boundary line.

Another Williamstown recruit.

What I heard was that we kept our deal at 1yr.
1 year with a trigger for 2.

Sydney 2 years with a trigger for 3. Sydney also provide more opportunity to like play afl football rather than a senior presence in WAFL or VFL.

OMac comes as depth cover for 2 years and very likely lower cost.

Hamling was prior to signing with Sydney on good coin from a deal 3-4 years ago. Obviously reduced salary now but OMac will be slightly cheaper than Hamling and a few years younger.

No big deal. We tried to keep Hamling but go back to June/July and 70% of posters here were saying he should be delisted.

Everyone thinking he is depth.

We’ve brought him in to showcase his untapped wing position skills.

Rumour is he played there as a 6 year old in his Auskick days. He thrived and has been waiting to play this position again.
In all seriousness, if we want Chapman to play on a wing OMcDonald will be competing with Hughes for the third tall role, he could play a lot more than we think.
Edit: he’d actually play 2nd tall and allow Cox to play the interception role Young was playing, that Chapman would play if he doesn’t move to the wing.

In all seriousness, if we want Chapman to play on a wing OMcDonald will be competing with Hughes for the third tall role, he could play a lot more than we think.
Edit: he’d actually play 2nd tall and allow Cox to play the interception role Young was playing, that Chapman would play if he doesn’t move to the wing.
Luke Ryan plays our third tall, I know he is undersized but it's definitely the role he plays

Everyone thinking he is depth.

We’ve brought him in to showcase his untapped wing position skills.

Rumour is he played there as a 6 year old in his Auskick days. He thrived and has been waiting to play this position again.
Amazing coaching from his junior coach. From what I've seen they don't have wingers in under 7's, just a whole team of on ballers and cloud watchers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back