Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 1 round in - so its early days - but i still think Richmond are the number team 1

Posted last year - i thought they were an absolute certainty for the flag - and easily the best side in the comp - but somehow they got beat - and after watching Friday nights game - i dont know how they got beat

This year on the main board thread - i didnt put either Ess or Adel in the 8 - didnt fall for the hype at all . Had the slows on Melb but i put them in - in the bottom half of the 8 i put in Haw and Geel - and from memory i put Fremantle in 8th spot

Not sure how many players they had unavailable for round 1 but they were carrying a lot of foot soldier players like Graham, Weller and Broad I thought. If the game opens up more their low skill level gets exposed. Then they are missing Rance now plus have an ordinary ruck and no second ruck. They will be thereabouts but I'm not overly hot on them. It's going to be a very open season again.

I think I had Essendon 12th and slotted the Crows into 8th. I was surprised the fox guys all had Crows top 4 but for mine, when in doubt, i always put Geelong, Sydney and Adelaide 5-8 on the ladder as very rare the teams miss.

Not sure how many players they had unavailable for round 1 but they were carrying a lot of foot soldier players like Graham, Weller and Broad I thought. If the game opens up more their low skill level gets exposed. Then they are missing Rance now plus have an ordinary ruck and no second ruck. They will be thereabouts but I'm not overly hot on them. It's going to be a very open season again.

I think I had Essendon 12th and slotted the Crows into 8th. I was surprised the fox guys all had Crows top 4 but for mine, when in doubt, i always put Geelong, Sydney and Adelaide 5-8 on the ladder as very rare the teams miss.

Ive mentioned it a few times - but that game last year Rich v Geel - where Ablett could have pinched the win - Rich annihilated Geel in nearly every facet of the game - Geel just couldnt get the ball . They havent got Rance - but they get a real contribution from basically all 22 - its a real team performance - and they dont have trouble kicking goals - with that mosquito fleet - who all chip in when required

I think Geel can be very competitive against every team in the comp - except against Rich ( going on last year )

If the Cats can beat the Tigers i will be convinced that Geel have improved - thats why i still rate Rich as the no 1 team - and measuring stick

Just lol at the experts picking them for top 4 because they added one good player. They start every year like garbage and scrape a few wins together late in the year to get close to finals, rinse, repeat. Will probably get their first win against us in rnd 6 or 7, whenever it is. We played them into form last year.

The look on Shiels face as the game realities were setting in was priceless. WTF?.............now he has to drag this club up from its knees? The look said I have been here before.

I rate Shiel. Hope his personal fortunes rise.

The look on Shiels face as the game realities were setting in was priceless. WTF?.............now he has to drag this club up from its knees? The look said I have been here before.

I rate Shiel. Hope his personal fortunes rise.

I don't.
Super fit yes and has a bit of toe, but IMO soft, ordinary disposal, doesn't kick enough goals, downhill skier of the higest order. Just like a lot of players at Essendon.

GWS didn't try too hard to keep him, putting their efforts and cash into Coniglio & Kelly for a reason.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta love the stupidity:

Tensions have flared up between broadcasters Channel 7 and AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan over the name of Marvel Stadium.

Comic book giants Marvel took over naming rights for the ground late last year, replacing airline Etihad. Since then the arena has been called Marvel Stadium.
However
Foxfooty.com.au senior AFL reporter Tom Morris revealed that McLachlan was unhappy on the weekend when Seven’s commentators were told to not refer to the ground as Marvel Stadium, instead calling it Docklands.

“There was a bit of tension after the weekend when Channel 7 were referring to Marvel Stadium as Docklands,” Morris said on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“My understanding is this also happened in the Big Bash.

“There’s been a little bit of tension between Gill McLachlan and Channel 7 in the last couple of days.
“My understanding is they were told to refer to it as Docklands, just as they were during the Big Bash.”
The exact reasons behind the move remain unclear, but Melbourne great Garry Lyon described the “edict” as “a touch petty”.

Marvel’s movies are available in Australia on a streaming platform owned by Nine Entertainment.

Who is going to win out - boss of Channel 7 or boss of the AFL?

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...t/news-story/b21d8e9c5dbef990963efbaae5b7959a

Liam Ryan with a fine for a pretty severe jumper punch.

Does that mean Tom Hawkins is *still* the only player to miss a week over one?

I'm still furious about it.
Especially after the afl said they were going to crack down on it, and suspensions were likely. I saw the ryan one and there was another big gut punch and both recieved fines. They can’t even back up their own talk. Bloody pathetic.

Liam Ryan with a fine for a pretty severe jumper punch.

Does that mean Tom Hawkins is *still* the only player to miss a week over one?

I'm still furious about it.

Several players copped a fine for umpire contact too.

Especially after the afl said they were going to crack down on it, and suspensions were likely. I saw the ryan one and there was another big gut punch and both recieved fines. They can’t even back up their own talk. Bloody pathetic.
Cunnington also gets off with a fine for whacking a bloke in the ribs.

Scene is set for a Hawkins correction mid year by the MRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back