PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On a fun note, keen to see if it's true that the 2080ti Super (lol) is going on a new tu102 chip. I thought it was some ridiculous rebranding but it looks like Super is going to be the Turing refresh? I guess it will tie them over to the 7nm GTX/RTX following Ampere.

Hadn't heard of these things, but just noticed this.....
Previous rumors claimed that Nvidia’s Super lineup is a mere refresh for last year’s RTX series in light of AMD’s freshly announced 7 nm Navi cards, but the latest insider info coming from WCCFTech presents a different situation. It looks like the Super lineup will include completely new chips, not OC versions for the existing SKUs, and, in addition to new versions for the RTX 2060, 2070 and 2080 GPUs, Nvidia is also preparing more powerful RTX 2070 Ti and 2080 Ti variants.

WCCFTech notes that the naming scheme for the new cards is not yet confirmed, yet all new versions will get the SUPER branding to differentiate them from the existing RTX GPUs. The non-Ti SUPER GPUs are scheduled to launch around June 21, while the Ti versions may arrive a month or two later. As such, Nvidia’s AIB partners are expected to start cutting prices for existing RTX GPUs by the end of this month. Moreover, the new SUPER lineup is supposed to feature unlocked GPUs across the board, leading to a greater variety of custom cards.

Looks like the announcement of the Super cards is July 2 with them hitting shelves shortly after. I guess a bit longer for partner cards and as already mentioned the 2080ti Super is still some time away.

Any tips for purchasing a monitor? How important is refresh rate, panel type etc.

Also interested to hear thoughts on size aswell

It really depends on your system specs. What's your setup atm? No point getting 144hz and G-Sync if you have an old Radeon.

Before I build my new PC this year I'm definitely buying the monitor first, so I know what specs I'll need to drive it. I'll be looking at 1440p, 100hz+ and probably 27in to 32in. IPS and curved are likely as well.

It really depends on your system specs. What's your setup atm? No point getting 144hz and G-Sync if you have an old Radeon.

Before I build my new PC this year I'm definitely buying the monitor first, so I know what specs I'll need to drive it. I'll be looking at 1440p, 100hz+ and probably 27in to 32in. IPS and curved are likely as well.

Acer's next wide screen 3440x1440p Predator looks like it will be a beast. Wait and see on that. Adaptive sync with both technologies and certified HDR10 with FALD. LG have something cool comparative too. Both are curved and I think 34". HDR looks fantastic on console, keen to see it together with ray tracing on a PC.

Makes sense, I'm using a geforce 1060 6gb and that seems to run at 60fps quite stable.

I'm thinking 27" at most as my desk isn't huge, I also want to play some Nintendo switch on it haha

Makes sense, I'm using a geforce 1060 6gb and that seems to run at 60fps quite stable.

I'm thinking 27" at most as my desk isn't huge, I also want to play some Nintendo switch on it haha
Depends on your card. A 1060 will run 1080p quite comfortably so you wouldn’t need to look at anything above 1080 unless you want to future proof. I’m big on the AOC monitors. They are fantastic for the price point

I hear that Cyberpunk will be optimized, but it got me thinking.......this is what I've got at the moment, will this still keep me going in a few years or will I eventually be looking at a mobo/system replacement in the near to medium future?*

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CRYORIG - H7 Quad Lumi 49 CFM CPU Cooler
Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Turbo OC Video Card
NZXT - S340 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

*May or may not be fishing for reasons to do a new build....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear the Cyberpunk will be optimized, but it got me thinking.......this is what I've got at the moment, will this still keep me going in a few years or will I eventually be looking at a mobo/system replacement in the near to medium future?*

I think you'll be fine for a few more years, ha.

I hear the Cyberpunk will be optimized, but it got me thinking.......this is what I've got at the moment, will this still keep me going in a few years or will I eventually be looking at a mobo/system replacement in the near to medium future?*

Reckon you'll be ok for a while, if the Zen 2s are a big jump you can always grab one cheap before the next series comes out.

I hear that Cyberpunk will be optimized, but it got me thinking.......this is what I've got at the moment, will this still keep me going in a few years or will I eventually be looking at a mobo/system replacement in the near to medium future?*

More than fine. CDPR have responded numerous times on Twitter that no specs have been confirmed or released for Cyberpunk either. Of course there will be constantly new games pushing every rig that wants to max everything out but it's not necessary to upgrade.

Everyone is in a holding pattern at the moment though as we're in between a lot of stuff at the moment, not just CPUs and GPUs.

Saw this from Jayztwocents yesterday on why to hold off on most stuff at the moment. This is more for people coming from earlier builds but it's still relevant.

PS: invent a reason like a new monitor :p. I definitely not need to upgrade but I will be. Possibly starting with the 2080ti 'Super' and then I'm waiting for some real world tests for the Zen2 stuff and will go from there probably after Christmas.

Does anyone know if someone besides Asus make AIO coolers with programmable screens?

I do really like the design and shape of the ROG Ryuo but not the Ryujin. The Ryuo only goes up to a 240 radiator though, only the Ryujin goes to 360. It's not a deal breaker but just wondering if there are alternatives.

I was bored and wanted to give my new PC a good test so I downloaded Battlefield V. Not a bad game, I haven't played one since 4.

I also downloaded battlefront 2, what a turd that was haha

Any tips for purchasing a monitor? How important is refresh rate, panel type etc.

Also interested to hear thoughts on size aswell
Personally I would avoid anything Gsync which is pretty much a set of handcuffs to the nVidia ecosystem.

Get a Freesync panel 1440p 27 inch 144hz and you'll be free to change between nVidia & Radeon without losing variable refresh compatibility.

Open source FTW!

Don't discount the fact that Freesync is now a living room TV set technology and not purely confined to computer displays...

Personally I would avoid anything Gsync which is pretty much a set of handcuffs to the nVidia ecosystem.

Get a Freesync panel 1440p 27 inch 144hz and you'll be free to change between nVidia & Radeon without losing variable refresh compatibility.

Open source FTW!

Don't discount the fact that Freesync is now a living room TV set technology and not purely confined to computer displays...
Gsync is incredibly expensive from what I have seen as well. I just grabbed a cheap second hand monitor to tide me over and I'll start hinting at a good one for xmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Back