NFNL Div 3 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I probably agree here, the competition should be trying to support clubs and educate them on how to run a club correctly, I think forcing a reduced salary cap is reasonable. Taking away points would destroy a club and players wouldnt put there body at risk. Likelihood is most clubs would fold or refuse to put teams out on the park. Look at EDFL bottom division a where Hadfield and jacana have gone into recess.
It's sad what has happened to Jacana. If clubs get fined for such instances they could probably move leagues as well but it depends on location of club as well. A league should always support the club and educating them before fining them

Is it sad Rustyrich or just poor management.
I am sure when Ben took over at Lalor, one of the first things they would have had to do was make sure they had enough $$$ to pay league fees, before recruiting players for $$$
Massive respect to Lalor who have gone about it the right way. Things turning even if slowly.
It wasn't so long again West were on their knees, but now through hard working committee/s they are looking good premiership win in the reserves and I am sure realistic goal of playing senior finals in 2020
Why should they miss out if a team who isn't financial plays finals in front of them?

Player points is the key, salary cap means bugger all really, clubs will declare whatever they like but if there player points (not premiership point) were reduced then they’d have to reshuffle and priorities their lists and it should be done with full support/training and disclosure from and to the league

I am sure when Ben took over at Lalor, one of the first things they would have had to do was make sure they had enough $$$ to pay league fees, before recruiting players for $$$
Massive respect to Lalor who have gone about it the right way. Things turning even if slowly.
It wasn't so long again West were on their knees, but now through hard working committee/s they are looking good premiership win in the reserves and I am sure realistic goal of playing senior finals in 2020
Why should they miss out if a team who isn't financial plays finals in front of them?
I reckon it would be a great story for the league of west did make it. Could have given up many times over the years but have done it the patient way and lalor amd reservoir certainly should look to them as motivation that things can improve.

The issue is punishing teams not playing for points basically could sink a side.

Teams can go through financial hardship but as long as a plans put in place you don’t want to destroy them.

Imagine if anything D3 club was told they wouldn’t be playing for points half way through. How many would have a club next year?
I can assure you, it can be done

Nett Income minus Operational expenses (allowance for Y profits) = Player Budget available.
The cap is only a guide to NOT GO ABOVE, its isn't the level expected... Although success is often in line with higher amounts and chased due to club pressures.

Its a pretty simple equation (with 100's of moving parts obviously)

When the formula is flipped, it creates bad debt... Its really that simple

I reckon it would be a great story for the league of west did make it. Could have given up many times over the years but have done it the patient way and lalor amd reservoir certainly should look to them as motivation that things can improve.
Wasn't so long ago that Watsonia was in a similar position also.

Fantastic stories with some VERY hardworking individuals within.

Last edited:
Nett Income minus Operational expenses (allowance for Y profits) = Player Budget available.
The cap is only a guide to NOT GO ABOVE, its isn't the level expected... Although success is often in line with higher amounts and chased due to club pressures.

Its a pretty simple equation (with 100's of moving parts obviously)

When the formula is flipped, it creates bad debt... Its really that simple
A lot of clubs don’t even have a budget which is insane.

But always budget or not there are things that happen like sponsors pulling out, failed fundraisers ect which can have huge impacts and clubs will always opt to keep players happy over the league.

No idea who still owes the league but I know D1 players still owed money due to outstanding sponsors money ect...

A lot of clubs don’t even have a budget which is insane.

But always budget or not there are things that happen like sponsors pulling out, failed fundraisers ect which can have huge impacts and clubs will always opt to keep players happy over the league.

No idea who still owes the league but I know D1 players still owed money due to outstanding sponsors money ect...
Blaming sponsors for a short-fall is simply bad management. Budget for cash on hand and fixed historical income, not promised donations...!

This is why the leagues need to come down on bad debt, saving administrators from themselves.

Take the SFNL as an example... It worked there in the space of 12 months.

Blaming sponsors for a short-fall is simply bad management. Budget for cash on hand and fixed historical income, not promised donations...!

This is why the leagues need to come down on bad debt, saving administrators from themselves.

Is it time for you take over at government house ben? Plenty of viable solutions coming from yourself!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it time for you take over at government house ben? Plenty of viable solutions coming from yourself!
I genuinely hate seeing people (i stress, people) with the very best of intentions feeling the pressures of the club they love, the members they represent and the sponsors they ask to support leaving a post with regret and burden...

No matter who the administrator or the club - No one ever goes into these voluntary positions with the ambitions of doing a BAD JOB and that often gets lost on the focus of success...

Sometime the reality and skill-set needs support and guidance as there is no text book or training to prepare presidents, treasurers or footy op's managers (apart from the token gestures offered via "development officers" or as i refer to them as AUSKICK SALES REPS)

If the government you're referring to is the NFNL big house, my common sense and the pages they play on are worlds apart.

Last edited:
Doveton Eagles going the same direction as Jacana, Reservior post lower division flag.

Mernda should have a good look.
In typical fashion I tried to read the article but its blocked thanks to a paywall. I sort of got the gist of it from reading the first paragraph but that is disappointing. What I know is that league has a couple of strong teams in Div 1 and the rest can fend for themselves. It sucks when players retire when they get promoted.

I genuinely hate seeing people (i stress, people) with the very best of intentions feeling the pressures of the club they love, the members they represent and the sponsors they ask to support leaving a post with regret and burden... No matter who the administrator or the club - No one ever goes into these voluntary positions with the ambitions of doing a BAD JOB and that often gets lost on the focus of success... Sometime the reality and skill-set needs support and guidance as there is no text book or training to prepare presidents, treasurers or footy op's managers (apart from the token gestures offered via "development officers" or as i refer to them as AUSKICK SALES REPS)

If the government you're referring to is the NFNL big house, my common sense and the pages they play on are worlds apart.
Sports you are right on the money we are asking an inordinate amount of all the volunteers who put their hand up to go on a football club committee. Clubs need to be run as a small to medium business. Most people don't have this sort of acument but they still put their hand up .Bloody well done i say as there is generally no help or assistance line to ring for help so they learn by trial and error .
for those who have not done the hard yards pull your small head in shut up or grow a set and put your hand up

Sports you are right on the money we are asking an inordinate amount of all the volunteers who put their hand up to go on a football club committee. Clubs need to be run as a small to medium business. Most people don't have this sort of acument but they still put their hand up .Bloody well done i say as there is generally no help or assistance line to ring for help so they learn by trial and error .
for those who have not done the hard yards pull your small head in shut up or grow a set and put your hand up
Post of the year

My numbers easily accessible... I’m ALWAYS happy to help, hear or suggest. Everyone needs a third veiw-point from time-to-time.

Can’t think of too many clubs I haven’t had some form of semi-formal connection with over the past decade... I’m pretty certain people know where my loyalties are regardless.

Competition happens on the field in my opinion... Clubs and officials can work together - The support isn’t coming from anywhere else...!!!!!

Bugger me men this last page is all making far too much sense, pull it back a bit and start picking $hit at one another again please ha ha!!!

In some cases yes, but I’m sure we’ve heard rumours of a division 1 club which had a long term realiable sponsor pull out. These situations can’t be foreseen.

My point is only this. Don’t throw a club to the wolves (making them play for no points) for 1 bad year.

In some cases yes, but I’m sure we’ve heard rumours of a division 1 club which had a long term realiable sponsor pull out. These situations can’t be foreseen.

My point is only this. Don’t throw a club to the wolves (making them play for no points) for 1 bad year.
I'm not suggesting that - The next year should be re-adjusted in accordance with availability of funds AFTER the costs of business (Fees, Council) are taken into account... All clubs can meet these obligations when player payments are removed (or the club is drastically insolvent)

This then organically determines player payments and affords responsible clubs the benefit of competing on a level playing field.

Your suggestion is that if a club has unforeseen circumstances they should be allowed to continue the same payment structure which contradicts why there is a cap in the first instance. I think this can be case for the year the things occurred and adjustment can be allowed for the remainder of that year, not subsequent years after that.

Reducing the "cap allowed" doesn't hold any significant accountability apart from the agreed contract and data supplied to the governing bodies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back