Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly, do we all believe that all AFL players have religiously adhered to protocols during the playing hiatus?
Does Crippa with a couple of brothers and potentially mates out on the farm keep a couple of metres apart? Fyfe?
What about the Dow boys? The Brayshaw boys? The Walsh boys? Any club based congregations at secluded locations?

Will some players be better prepared than others?

i would like to see levi do that in games as well. Has to use that big body to advantage more often. jut smash em.

you just know umpires would ping a free kick because they see a player go down from the corner of their eye and opposition player holds his head like he got hit high

I might be reading too much into this, but I love that SPS is doing that sort of thing, means he's really coming out of his shell and that he's really confident in himself and his spot in the team.

Hopefully that translates to on field, because at times he's looked apprehensive imho but him coming out like that makes me think perhaps he's settled in how he fits in the environment.

I might be reading too much into this, but I love that SPS is doing that sort of thing, means he's really coming out of his shell and that he's really confident in himself and his spot in the team.

Hopefully that translates to on field, because at times he's looked apprehensive imho but him coming out like that makes me think perhaps he's settled in how he fits in the environment.
His first game this year was a ripper. If he can stay at that level every week we have ourselves a star.

Agreed. This is a good sign. Also do yourself a favour and watch his highlights which the club posted on the website and app this morning. It’s easy to forget how skillful and classy this kid is. I think he’s really found his niche at half back - improved his defensive side immeasurably and great at getting the ball into the corridor from half back with those 20-25 metre dart kicks. We’ve often been too hesitant to move the ball through the middle but with SPS settling down there, I’m confident we can improve this issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez how many small backs can one team have?

It's not as much as for having backs, but for having the right types and the best functioning combination.

Docherty Jones Plowman
Philp Weitering Marchbank + Newman/Williamson/+ and SPS for now, but I still see him going into the midfield.

From the little I've seen of Philp live, he looks to have the tools to make it as that speedy exit player we've been looking for and with Simpson on the way out...
Stocker can also play back but Dow can't. O'Brien maybe but Fisher no.....etc. Still some sorting to do before we can put down a definite best back 6

Philp, Macreadie, SPS, and Lang look physically fantastic for where you want them to be at given the extra time, but football ability is another thing.

I think Philp might get a gig for round 2 the way he appears to be training.

Just quietly, do we all believe that all AFL players have religiously adhered to protocols during the playing hiatus?
Does Crippa with a couple of brothers and potentially mates out on the farm keep a couple of metres apart? Fyfe?
What about the Dow boys? The Brayshaw boys? The Walsh boys? Any club based congregations at secluded locations?

Will some players be better prepared than others?
Doubt AFL's protocols require them to stay away from family members and those within their home.

Samo seems to love the club and also seems to be one of the most passionate players we have. Love the kid and won’t be long before he becomes elite.
22 year old grown man, sb.........

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Now we have somewhat of a mature core of players and should be a competitive side we can afford to play players like Philp and Ramsay and there shouldn't be issues with playing raw players. Teams win premierships with a few 1st-3rd year players in their team.

These players are often a similar type. Willing to have a crack, good outside game, good skills a bit of pace and mature for their age. Philp, Ramsay, Honey and if fit Kemp IMO may all fit that bill.

There are a few young players in the side with question marks over them for different reasons such as injury prone, not impacting in the position they are playing, not very skilled and not physical enough so there is plenty of case for some of these guys to find a spot in the senior 22.

Dow doesn't have the elite pressure acts and kicking skills to come through as a forward IMO, he needs to make it in the midfield and come through the reserves. Fisher is best 22 unless someone goes past him, needs to be more physical at the contests, Cuningham has everything but is injury prone, Gibbons is more than handy but isn't damaging enough by foot and doesn't have elite pace, Setterfield needs to go to the next level and become more damaging. O'Brien needs to have a physical aspect to his game and find the footy a bit more, Newnes is handy but doesn't strike me as an elite wingman and of course Simpson can't keep playing forever so there are plenty of spots in the side if good enough and a lot of them are more outside roles which I can see being taken by players who haven't been in the system that long.

Any moment we add pace, aggression and skill to the side excites me so fingers crossed that's what we do sooner rather than later.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back