Review Round 4, 2021 vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Drew didn't get heaps of the ball last night, but he HTB tackle and mark in the final 2min won us the game as much as Robbie kicking that goal.

Yep, if you ask me to report back what moment won us the game I would be saying that little patch from Drew. Sensational.

A few thoughts:

1. With the new standing on the mark rule change on big grounds our zoning defence will get a work out. Will be interesting how we go at the MCG next week, Adelaide oval being narrow really helped us tonight.

2. It’s all about the contest for us, must get first hands on the ball. We did that last night

3. We gotta get Dixon in form. If he is marking and kicking straight it sets a tone in a game for all of our young players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see them playing Hayes and Lycett in the same side. And from all reports Hayes doesn't have the tank to ruck the majority of a game. Bit of a dilemma.

I do not know where some of these stories start. There wasn't much wrong with Sam's tank last week at Norwood and in any case Hayes does not have to ruck all game if he plays the role Ladhams currently playing. If they are not going to play Lycett and Hayes at some stage this year they may as well ask Sam which club he wants to be traded to.

Hayes will be 22 in June and has already had four years on our list. How long do you expect him to hang around?

Been on to some other boards reading about last night's game and it's largely very positive ie. great game great result, now allowing for anti tigers sentiment

are we too hard to please on here? If we are then I'm probably guilty at times of focusing on the negatives, maybe we expect too much at times.

The 'deliberate point' rule was brought in to stop time wasting from players stepping over the line under no pressure, in order to resent and get another 30 seconds to take the kick out.

Some dumb frees have been given in the years since then, but good to see the umpires are getting this one right this year at least.
It would have been simpler demanding that the ball should leave the 50m arc before the defense can score another behind.

Sure, teams would take advantage of it, every now and then, but there would be no need to read intention.

Been on to some other boards reading about last night's game and it's largely very positive ie. great game great result, now allowing for anti tigers sentiment

are we too hard to please on here? If we are then I'm probably guilty at times of focusing on the negatives, maybe we expect too much at times.

Spot on, for years we have been saying we do not win the crunch games at Adelaide Oval. We win a tight one and some of us are still not satisfied. We coulda and perhaps shoulda won by more but who cares? We won a tight game against a genuine Premiership contender and that counts.

PS We did it with a fair injury count. Rozee, Butters, Clurey, Jonas, Fantasia and Duursma all had knocks and strains and at one stage I was wondering if we were going to finish with a fit player.

Last edited:

Clearly we are to hard to please as a whole on here, and the negatives are consistently highlighted. You want proof look at the response to last week's loss and the overreaction that went on, then the reaction to a gutsy, traditional Port Adelaide win last night.

People say oh it's cause of the 2015-2019 years which is nonsense. I'm of the opinion we could win the flag and only lose 1 game and that loss would still be talked about over the flag.

The expectations aren't tinged with a sense of realism, it isn't the 70's, 80', & 90's anymore when we used to dominated the SANFL, the AFL is a tough nut to crack and we as a club have found that from 97.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, if you ask me to report back what moment won us the game I would be saying that little patch from Drew. Sensational.
There were a few.

1. Dixon kicking Ladhams out the middle when he was getting thrashed, tapping it down to Ollie for a game turning goal.

2. DBJ chasing down 2 Tigers then catching the 3rd holding the ball.

3. Rozee and Houston calmly slotting goals when the elder statesman had been shitting the bed.

4. R Grays ice cold goal.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

A few thoughts:

1. With the new standing on the mark rule change on big grounds our zoning defence will get a work out. Will be interesting how we go at the MCG next week, Adelaide oval being narrow really helped us tonight.

2. It’s all about the contest for us, must get first hands on the ball. We did that last night

3. We gotta get Dixon in form. If he is marking and kicking straight it sets a tone in a game for all of our young players.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Shame that the rule might hurt us, especially being implemented the day before the season started.

We need to learn how to tackle like Richmond and follow through with the knee to the thigh, a cause a corky or ankle/knee..........Rozee, Butters, Clurey, Jonas, Fantasia, X man. Coincidence??????????
We'd do it once and get penalized and have to out it away

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reflecting on it, that really was a game for the ages.

Burton was ******* awesome. Building very nicely. Highest contested ball winner for Port with 15. That tackle on Cotchin was brilliant.
Love that he's showing that he's not just a pretty face with a good kick down back. Can get down and dirty in the contest with the best of them.

Clearly we are to hard to please as a whole on here, and the negatives are consistently highlighted. You want proof look at the response to last week's loss and the overreaction that went on, then the reaction to a gutsy, traditional Port Adelaide win last night.

People say oh it's cause of the 2015-2019 years which is nonsense. I'm of the opinion we could win the flag and only lose 1 game and that loss would still be talked about over the flag.

The expectations aren't tinged with a sense of realism, it isn't the 70's, 80', & 90's anymore when we used to dominated the SANFL, the AFL is a tough nut to crack and we as a club have found that from 97.

The club's mediocre record over a long period of time means that last week's performance is much more likely to be seen as an indication that things are about to go awry than simply an aberration. If we were a successful club like Richmond, Geelong, Sydney or West Coast, I think we as supporters would view poor performances differently because the trust factor would be stronger.

We haven't won a premiership for 17 years or played in a grand final for 14 years. We are hard to please as a supporter base and we have not been pleased for a long time. And you can hear the messaging from the club in recent years - they are under no illusions as to what is expected. For mine, the moment Port Adelaide supporters stop expecting premierships every year and putting that pressure on the club is the moment we lose our competitive advantage as a club and become no different from Freo or St Kilda.

It was a frustrating game to watch full off all the usual issues. I'm not surprised people felt a little flat after the game.

This morning though it feels totally different. There was a lot to like about the way our youngsters in particular stood up and thrived in adversity. They will learn from that and get confidence and get even better.

Also imagine now we have Marshall in for Ladhams, Dixon firing, Boak and Gray converting and we enter forward 50 like round 1.

We have a lot of improvement left to find!

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Shame that the rule might hurt us, especially being implemented the day before the season started.

I think the effect of that rule is hugely overrated and is another case of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy.

It is one man on the mark and one man kicking the ball. Richmond produced some breath taking ball movement from broken field play with dynamic shifts in ball movement to open us up.

Teams appear to be taking more risk with quick ball movement to break the shape of zone defences and are getting better at it.

The lower ranked teams from 2020 are fresher with the shorter preseason and the top teams are a bit underdone.

Games might be looking much different by mid-season.

There were a few.

1. Dixon kicking Ladhams out the middle when he was getting thrashed, tapping it down to Ollie for a game turning goal.

2. DBJ chasing down 2 Tigers then catching the 3rd holding the ball.

3. Rozee and Houston calmly slotting goals when the elder statesman had been shitting the bed.

4. R Grays ice cold goal.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Going back further, Hartlett suddenly changing from turnover King to 60m goal kicker was also pivotal.

But the Drew cameo was still the best of the lot

100%

Show me the last time we had that many guys on the bench and held on in the dying minutes. It hasn't happened. We've seen it happen against us a couple of times and people would lament that we didn't have the same toughness of Geelong etc.
A win like that is something to really be proud of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back