Draft Expert Knightmare's 2021 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched Knights Chargers yesterday, not sure who was missing from chargers they were well off the pace. Was keen to watch Dib play and was surprised to see him listed in the best, thought he was largely unsighted, paricularly as he has played a bit of VFL, what is your read on him.

Do you think Carlton will consider Akui or Uwandu who they have as NGA prospects?

The Jamarra situation is a fascinating one.

The way things are going, he'll demand a trade at the end of the year and the return won't be comperable to what would be leaving in Jamarra.

Jamarra could be easily accommodated as a part of the best-2 if Naughton was shifted into defence, so that Jamarra can pair with Bruce.

The problem though is the Dogs are all in for a premiership run this year, so it's a bit like choosing whether they prioritise Jamarra or winning this year. Or could they do both with Jamarra?

If the Dogs can tolerate playing tall and don't feel that takes too much away from the midfield, with Naughton's endurance, he could very easily play as a tall marking wing who pushes back to intercept and forward to take further marks. Next Richo/Riewoldt on a wing? He has that scope.

The Dogs seem to have made their call, though I see room for another good key defender and with Geelong looming in the finals and if healthy the team to beat, I see the Dogs struggling with the Hawkins/Cameron combination unless Naughton were to make that shift.

The other additional component of interest for the longer term is Sam Darcy is coming along in 2022. Darcy can play key position at either end or ruck, so that's another opportunity and option the Dogs have to really get creative with how they want to structure up.

Have you seen him play this year? You can’t give a kid games just to make him happy. He isn’t fit enough and hasn’t worked hard enough to get a game in the firsts. Think he’s been built up so hard he either just expected it to come or has got so frustrated it’s starting to effect his game. Two junk goals vs Geelong don’t equate to a magic ticket to the big show. If he works hard he’ll get games like all the other players on all the other lists.

Have you seen him play this year? You can’t give a kid games just to make him happy. He isn’t fit enough and hasn’t worked hard enough to get a game in the firsts. Think he’s been built up so hard he either just expected it to come or has got so frustrated it’s starting to effect his game. Two junk goals vs Geelong don’t equate to a magic ticket to the big show. If he works hard he’ll get games like all the other players on all the other lists.
He looked concerningly lazy on Friday.

He looked concerningly lazy on Friday.

I’m not sure if he’s lazy or frustrated or both. He doesn’t seem prepared to do the harder things at the moment and you can’t just be a brilliant finisher at AFL level. Knightmare - given the hype from the juniors he was surely tackling and doing the 1 percent things that any AFL role requires...?? Was he?? Please tell me it wasn’t just the flashy mark/goal stuff that recruiters went for? Haven’t seen any hard fight/tackle/win ball stuff in the kid in the VFL games ive watched to date??

Hey Knightmare, if the draft was now and Hawthorn held the picks we currently have (2, plus 2 picks in the early 20's) who would be current suitable selections on a classy midfield front?

I like the look of Callaghan for a dynamic, tall mid with some added silk, but I haven't done enough of a deep dive beyond some probable top 10 selections to know who looked good around that early second round. I'm pretty certain we go all in on midfielders in this draft.

I’m not sure if he’s lazy or frustrated or both. He doesn’t seem prepared to do the harder things at the moment and you can’t just be a brilliant finisher at AFL level. Knightmare - given the hype from the juniors he was surely tackling and doing the 1 percent things that any AFL role requires...?? Was he?? Please tell me it wasn’t just the flashy mark/goal stuff that recruiters went for? Haven’t seen any hard fight/tackle/win ball stuff in the kid in the VFL games ive watched to date??

The year of missed football for these boys always would impact the different lads differently. I wonder how much of the hype that was built without much play has put an unexpected performance level on his head. I still recall his practice game v Knights at the start of 2020 and did not rate it that highly. He sprung on the scene receiving the ball from the likes of Rowell and Anderson amongst others in 2019, 2020 was a big year for him. I think he is a victim to the missed footy, it will be a big risk for him to want out of the Dogs, which puts even more pressure on him. So many had judged him so highly, surely they all can't be wrong, he might just be taking a little longer to get what he needs to be doing at the level.

The year of missed football for these boys always would impact the different lads differently. I wonder how much of the hype that was built without much play has put an unexpected performance level on his head. I still recall his practice game v Knights at the start of 2020 and did not rate it that highly. He sprung on the scene receiving the ball from the likes of Rowell and Anderson amongst others in 2019, 2020 was a big year for him. I think he is a victim to the missed footy, it will be a big risk for him to want out of the Dogs, which puts even more pressure on him. So many had judged him so highly, surely they all can't be wrong, he might just be taking a little longer to get what he needs to be doing at the level.

People in the media have pointed to the successes of Tilthorpe, McDomald and Cox at AFL level as reasons for JUH to be frustrated by the dogs not playing him. I would point to the same group as examples where they didn’t allow covid to be an excuse to hold them back and they worked hard enough to prove they belong in the show.

JUH can choose the same path or he can listen to hype and avoid owning his performances. As things stand - no club could debut the kid no matter what natural talent may flash out periodically.

People in the media have pointed to the successes of Tilthorpe, McDomald and Cox at AFL level as reasons for JUH to be frustrated by the dogs not playing him. I would point to the same group as examples where they didn’t allow covid to be an excuse to hold them back and they worked hard enough to prove they belong in the show.

JUH can choose the same path or he can listen to hype and avoid owning his performances. As things stand - no club could debut the kid no matter what natural talent may flash out periodically.
Cox the only one of those three impacted, other two played plenty of footy on 2020. Each is different though, not excuses, what I am saying is he may well be overhyped and 2020 may have found him out, so not playing may have been an upside for him. I would back in him at this point though, his advice has to be to stay put and fight his way in

Watched Knights Chargers yesterday, not sure who was missing from chargers they were well off the pace. Was keen to watch Dib play and was surprised to see him listed in the best, thought he was largely unsighted, paricularly as he has played a bit of VFL, what is your read on him.

Do you think Carlton will consider Akui or Uwandu who they have as NGA prospects?

I didn't see the game on the weekend, but what I'm sure coaches would have liked with Dib looking at the stats is while he had 8d, he had 10cp! (third highest for Oakleigh on the day) Oakleigh were missing a lot of their better players, so they probably wanted to reward one of the guys who had a crack.

My view on Dib from what I've seen is he's draftable and as having some role player potential, though my view is he'll feature later rather than earlier. He can apply forward pressure and is decent at ground level. So Collingwood would be gaining him basically as a needs pick, with their smalls more-so marking smalls than pressure/ground level types.

Akuei I like and feel is worth a shot as a rookie. He's an intercept marking threat with his aerial work and how well he reads it behind the ball. He's developable.

Uwandu I saw in the game v Brisbane but didn't note any particular moment from or anything in particular about his game, so I wouldn't have thought as a more physically mature, earlier year prospect that he'd be likely.

All I've seen of Jamarra this year are the highlight clips that include each of Jamarra's involvements from one of preseason matches. There would have been approx 3 minutes of involvements. He was flying for everything as he does, though dropping more than he should was my immediate thoughts. Looking as lively as he did, in as many moments as he did, that's all I needed to see.

Jamarra's testing last year was considering the way he plays in game, staying i50 as that go-to target, really surprisingly good, so his fitness shouldn't be as weak as people are suggesting. It's more-so his in game work-rate and knowing how to apply it in game it feels like more-so.

Having seen plenty of Jamarra from 2019, and outside of just his play for Oakleigh inclusive of his play for school and in the APS v AGSV match, I don't look at his capabilities to push up the ground as being a relevant part to his game at this point. He has always been a stay at home forward. He's just an aerially unstoppable one, who also is a threat both on the lead, one-on-one and at ground level.

I bring Jamarra back to the conversations I've been having on previous pages about accepting guys for the way they play. Jamarra is one of those, where you have to be comfortable certainly at this stage in his development that he'll drop marks, miss more shots on goal than he should and that he'll largely stay i50 as that deepest and highest usage i50 target. Accept that and give him the delivery and he'll cause problems as the most dominant i50 target I've seen in my years covering the juniors because you can only stop him flying, as there is no way to stop him when he's flying for it. And if he is flying for it several times each game, that's all I have to see from him.

If for example Jamarra was on Collingwood's list, it would be a no brainer to feature him in such a role as that #1 option.

On the other hand for the Dogs where they have Naughton and Bruce both in form respectively, Jamarra isn't getting a game because he is that high usage #1 option and would make that team too tall, particularly if the Dogs also want to play two rucks as they need to with English not a genuine #1 ruck. And of course at this stage of his development, Jamarra isn't anywhere close to those guys, particularly Bruce given his really surprisingly strong play it's fair to say based on preseason expectations.

I wouldn't call Jamarra a 'brilliant finisher.' Converting his opportunities is something he needs to improve at.

Pressure and 1 percenters weren't a strength for Jamarra as a junior and won't be immediately at the next level either.

He's all i50 brilliance. Leaping and doing damage aerially, 1v1, at ground level and on the lead. He'll draw high volumes of it and really cause opposition defenders problems. That's what he does and how he dominates.

His game beyond that is a long way from complete.

Hey Knightmare, if the draft was now and Hawthorn held the picks we currently have (2, plus 2 picks in the early 20's) who would be current suitable selections on a classy midfield front?

I like the look of Callaghan for a dynamic, tall mid with some added silk, but I haven't done enough of a deep dive beyond some probable top 10 selections to know who looked good around that early second round. I'm pretty certain we go all in on midfielders in this draft.

With the first pick of those for me it would be out of Sonsie and Roberts for me for Hawthorn, seeing as Daicos and Horne would be off the board. And they'd improve Hawthorn's midfield and provide contrast.

Callaghan in the 20s would provide great value but I think his stocks will rise and we'll be talking about him as a top-10 pick eventually. He'll by my focus player for this week in my weekly wrap on ESPN. He's an unbelievable mover at his height and just continues to wow me every time he has ball in hand in traffic.

In the 20s something like Connor MacDonald and Hugh Jackson would be a good haul if they're both there. I'd be hoping for a slider in that range as a best available selector. Both of those guys would be additional midfield balancers and provide further different components to Hawthorn's midfield if added.

If JUH was this dominant forward threat he would be doing it already, at VFL level. Honestly Bedendo has looked closer to being a legitimate AFL level forward several times.

Besides maybe Hawkins there's not a lot of room for stay at home forwards in the league. If Marra wants to make it he'll have to do his part defensively like every other forward in the AFL.

Sometimes I wonder who is advising Jamarra.... or maybe moreso who he's listening to?

Clubs draft talent, but play players. I'm not sure why he would think talent alone is enough? It gets you through the door but doesn't guarantee you anything more than an opportunity to prove you have another level.

Anyway, sorry for interrupting the thread

Back on topic. Can you see a way for Sydney to get a second 1st round pick? I really like some of the 15-20 players and think we need one more strong draft before we really start to bother the good teams

I didn't see the game on the weekend, but what I'm sure coaches would have liked with Dib looking at the stats is while he had 8d, he had 10cp! (third highest for Oakleigh on the day) Oakleigh were missing a lot of their better players, so they probably wanted to reward one of the guys who had a crack.

My view on Dib from what I've seen is he's draftable and as having some role player potential, though my view is he'll feature later rather than earlier. He can apply forward pressure and is decent at ground level. So Collingwood would be gaining him basically as a needs pick, with their smalls more-so marking smalls than pressure/ground level types.

Akuei I like and feel is worth a shot as a rookie. He's an intercept marking threat with his aerial work and how well he reads it behind the ball. He's developable.

Uwandu I saw in the game v Brisbane but didn't note any particular moment from or anything in particular about his game, so I wouldn't have thought as a more physically mature, earlier year prospect that he'd be likely.

All I've seen of Jamarra this year are the highlight clips that include each of Jamarra's involvements from one of preseason matches. There would have been approx 3 minutes of involvements. He was flying for everything as he does, though dropping more than he should was my immediate thoughts. Looking as lively as he did, in as many moments as he did, that's all I needed to see.

Jamarra's testing last year was considering the way he plays in game, staying i50 as that go-to target, really surprisingly good, so his fitness shouldn't be as weak as people are suggesting. It's more-so his in game work-rate and knowing how to apply it in game it feels like more-so.

Having seen plenty of Jamarra from 2019, and outside of just his play for Oakleigh inclusive of his play for school and in the APS v AGSV match, I don't look at his capabilities to push up the ground as being a relevant part to his game at this point. He has always been a stay at home forward. He's just an aerially unstoppable one, who also is a threat both on the lead, one-on-one and at ground level.

I bring Jamarra back to the conversations I've been having on previous pages about accepting guys for the way they play. Jamarra is one of those, where you have to be comfortable certainly at this stage in his development that he'll drop marks, miss more shots on goal than he should and that he'll largely stay i50 as that deepest and highest usage i50 target. Accept that and give him the delivery and he'll cause problems as the most dominant i50 target I've seen in my years covering the juniors because you can only stop him flying, as there is no way to stop him when he's flying for it. And if he is flying for it several times each game, that's all I have to see from him.

If for example Jamarra was on Collingwood's list, it would be a no brainer to feature him in such a role as that #1 option.

On the other hand for the Dogs where they have Naughton and Bruce both in form respectively, Jamarra isn't getting a game because he is that high usage #1 option and would make that team too tall, particularly if the Dogs also want to play two rucks as they need to with English not a genuine #1 ruck. And of course at this stage of his development, Jamarra isn't anywhere close to those guys, particularly Bruce given his really surprisingly strong play it's fair to say based on preseason expectations.

I wouldn't call Jamarra a 'brilliant finisher.' Converting his opportunities is something he needs to improve at.

Pressure and 1 percenters weren't a strength for Jamarra as a junior and won't be immediately at the next level either.

He's all i50 brilliance. Leaping and doing damage aerially, 1v1, at ground level and on the lead. He'll draw high volumes of it and really cause opposition defenders problems. That's what he does and how he dominates.

His game beyond that is a long way from complete.

With the first pick of those for me it would be out of Sonsie and Roberts for me for Hawthorn, seeing as Daicos and Horne would be off the board. And they'd improve Hawthorn's midfield and provide contrast.

Callaghan in the 20s would provide great value but I think his stocks will rise and we'll be talking about him as a top-10 pick eventually. He'll by my focus player for this week in my weekly wrap on ESPN. He's an unbelievable mover at his height and just continues to wow me every time he has ball in hand in traffic.

In the 20s something like Connor MacDonald and Hugh Jackson would be a good haul if they're both there. I'd be hoping for a slider in that range as a best available selector. Both of those guys would be additional midfield balancers and provide further different components to Hawthorn's midfield if added.
Good insight thanks KM. Callaghan is the buzz player atm on the Hawks board, how big a stretch would be be at our first pick if he keeps performing the way he is?

Sometimes I wonder who is advising Jamarra.... or maybe moreso who he's listening to?

Clubs draft talent, but play players. I'm not sure why he would think talent alone is enough? It gets you through the door but doesn't guarantee you anything more than an opportunity to prove you have another level.

Back on topic. Can you see a way for Sydney to get a second 1st round pick? I really like some of the 15-20 players and think we need one more strong draft before we really start to bother the good teams
This is his advisor, nothing to worry about at all

Attachments

• E2F1C68B-6D0B-48AD-9EB3-B8457D9AA15A.jpeg
    E2F1C68B-6D0B-48AD-9EB3-B8457D9AA15A.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 57

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dogs will probably trade out their first if Darcy looks like he'll go early.
Just send us Papley 😉

If JUH was this dominant forward threat he would be doing it already, at VFL level. Honestly Bedendo has looked closer to being a legitimate AFL level forward several times.

Besides maybe Hawkins there's not a lot of room for stay at home forwards in the league. If Marra wants to make it he'll have to do his part defensively like every other forward in the AFL.

Key forwards don't dominate right away. None do. Buddy didn't. None of the great key forwards dominate in their first year after being drafted out of the U18s. That's not reality today, and certainly not with the improvement of key defenders over the past 10 years in addition to how much better team defencce has become. Jamarra without a year to develop last year definitely wasn't ever going to either. He projected to follow Buddy's year one production as a roughly one, maybe one and a bit goal per game key forward who has his moments and has his games where he does incredible things without dominating.

Jamarra no doubt will work on those defensive components to his game, and should improve in those facets in time.

There is always the option of trading the 2022 future first round pick which is probably the easiest way to get another first round pick this year if there is a particular target on draft day where you're super excited to see them there and want to capitalise on that value you see available to you.

Otherwise it takes moving someone who can play.

I haven't listened out for if there have been any contract situation updates, but Jordan Dawson assuming he has not yet been extended is the most logical route towards Sydney having another first round pick. He's in demand and is someone I'd even bet you could get a club to overpay for. He's also from my perspective surplus to Sydney's needs as there is obviously still Lloyd as a ball user, but then Braeden Campbell would if Dawson exited be able to take on a more prominant rebounding and drive generating role from defence.

Good insight thanks KM. Callaghan is the buzz player atm on the Hawks board, how big a stretch would be be at our first pick if he keeps performing the way he is?

I do still see Callaghan's draft position as somewhat open. If he keeps playing midfield and racking up 30 disposals per game, he's a top-10 pick I feel. If he doesn't, maybe that's when there is a conversation around how far below that top-10 range he could fall.

His game isn't perfect. His contested stuff in watching him closely isn't on the level I'd like and I'd even suggest he was slightly timid on a few occasions in attacking the ball. Kick placement also lacking at times. But he's one of those where he has the tools and in his own way can really impact games. He reminds me of a Jack Macrae at a similar age just with how freakish his evasion in traffic is. Not sure he'll reach that level as a ball winner/accumulator, but there are shades of that.

This is his advisor, nothing to worry about at all

If Jamarra can kick 99 goals in a season like Fev and have an eight year stretch of no less than 48 goals, he'll have had an incredible career.

Hopefully Jamarra is employing Fev for his forward craft services rather than having nights out with the great man.

Dogs will probably trade out their first if Darcy looks like he'll go early.
Just send us Papley 😉

Papley would be a great fit for the Dogs, but I'm sure Sydney are comfortable building around McDonald and feel no desperate need to give up so much for another key forward.

One trade that would be fascinating is De Goey for Jamarra.

It's one of those where you'll have people in clubland and the media alike asking. "How do we even value these guys?"

De Goey people will think is Dusty one week (he hasn't even in his best season matched Dusty's worst season for contested possessions so he's not nearly close) and the next week will exclaim is a no show v Jamarra who has a lot of holes in his game, but is so unstoppable when up and going in his own right.

The Dogs would need to clear salary cap space to make a trade like that work, and if Lipinski and West were included in addition to Jamarra as a sweetners who are non-essential pieces I'd give the trade careful consideration given the Pies are in a situation whereby after their best roughly 13 players, they fall away horrendously and could definitely slot a Lipinski straight into that best team and could afford West midfield minutes to potentially show he can play at AFL level.

Key forwards don't dominate right away. None do. Buddy didn't. None of the great key forwards dominate in their first year after being drafted out of the U18s. That's not reality today, and certainly not with the improvement of key defenders over the past 10 years in addition to how much better team defencce has become. Jamarra without a year to develop last year definitely wasn't ever going to either. He projected to follow Buddy's year one production as a roughly one, maybe one and a bit goal per game key forward who has his moments and has his games where he does incredible things without dominating.

Jamarra no doubt will work on those defensive components to his game, and should improve in those facets in time.

There is always the option of trading the 2022 future first round pick which is probably the easiest way to get another first round pick this year if there is a particular target on draft day where you're super excited to see them there and want to capitalise on that value you see available to you.

I haven't listened out for if there have been any contract situation updates, but Jordan Dawson assuming he has not yet been extended is the most logical route towards Sydney having another first round pick. He's in demand and is someone I'd even bet you could get a club to overpay for. He's also from my perspective surplus to Sydney's needs as there is obviously still Lloyd as a ball user, but then Braeden Campbell would if Dawson exited be able to take on a more prominant rebounding and drive generating role from defence.

I do still see Callaghan's draft position as somewhat open. If he keeps playing midfield and racking up 30 disposals per game, he's a top-10 pick I feel. If he doesn't, maybe that's when there is a conversation around how far below that top-10 range he could fall.

His game isn't perfect. His contested stuff in watching him closely isn't on the level I'd like and I'd even suggest he was slightly timid on a few occasions in attacking the ball. Kick placement also lacking at times. But he's one of those where he has the tools and in his own way can really impact games. He reminds me of a Jack Macrae at a similar age just with how freakish his evasion in traffic is. Not sure he'll reach that level as a ball winner/accumulator, but there are shades of that.

If Jamarra can kick 99 goals in a season like Fev and have an eight year stretch of no less than 48 goals, he'll have had an incredible career.

Hopefully Jamarra is employing Fev for his forward craft services rather than having nights out with the great man.

Papley would be a great fit for the Dogs, but I'm sure Sydney are comfortable building around McDonald and feel no desperate need to give up so much for another key forward.

It's one of those where you'll have people in clubland and the media alike asking. "How do we even value these guys?"

De Goey people will think is Dusty one week (he hasn't even in his best season matched Dusty's worst season for contested possessions so he's not nearly close) and the next week will exclaim is a no show v Jamarra who has a lot of holes in his game, but is so unstoppable when up and going in his own right.

The Dogs would need to clear salary cap space to make a trade like that work, and if Lipinski and West were included in addition to Jamarra as a sweetners who are non-essential pieces I'd give the trade careful consideration given the Pies are in a situation whereby after their best roughly 13 players, they fall away horrendously and could definitely slot a Lipinski straight into that best team and could afford West midfield minutes to potentially show he can play at AFL level.

My god the kid just got to the club..
He loves the club not going anywhere..
Now did you see Harry Andronico play Sunday …was the match winner

If we didn't want Stringer due to character, I'd say we'd want De Goey even less

Oh I was joking about trading our first round pick for Papley not Jamarra.

I wouldn't trade Jamarra for Papley and definitely not for degoey.

To be honest I'm not sure it club would take degoey even if he was given away.

I think degoey is probably stuck at Collingwood until at least his court case is heard.

Lol 6 months ago knightmare was saying Jamarra was the most dominant key forward inside 50 hes ever seen at junior level. Now he wants him traded for De Goey along with West and Lipinksi as Sweetners? 😂😂😂

The serious question is emerging as to how useful Jamarra is for the Dogs and how the Dogs can maximise their chances with this current group. As per my earlier comments. There is no clear path for Jamarra to earn a best-22 spot if Bruce keeps playing good footy and Naughton also is playing forward. A move needs to be made, or we'll be having the very same conversation 12 months from now, just with a lower valuation point.

Does anyone else see a different scenario playing out where we're not having the same conversation in 12 months time?

And if Jamarra were to be on the open market as a hypothetical. What would be the maximum return he could yield at this point? And if the same question were to be asked 12 months from now, would that return for Jamarra be better/the same/worse?

My view is Naughton either moves onto a wing, into defence, or Jamarra has to go. And I'd be doing the former as I do maintain belief in Jamarra as a genuine #1 option i50.

My view with the Dogs list is there is a great deal of flexibility to fit talent into the same team, it just requires a good deal of creative positional changes and role tweaks a very long way away from the conventional to make it happen.

Until Jamarra debuts and really plays a stretch of games, there isn't a known baseline for how his play looks at AFL level. It's only speculation based off of what we're seeing in the VFL which has a lot of people, fans included questioning his viability as a long term piece let alone a focal point i50.

If people are to complete a re-do of the 2020 draft. And it's a weak draft. There would be a wild range as to where Jamarra should be rated given he's yet to play at AFL level. Does everyone still consider him a top-10 calibre piece from the draft? Top-5?

I continue to rate Jamarra inside that top-4, alongside the other three star talls, but I'm well aware some won't have Jamarra inside their top-10s at this point, and many who do would be doing so tentatively. Will there be 10 players from the 2020 draft better than De Goey? There could be, but I consider that to be against the odds. So there will be people who would accept De Goey for Jamarra I'm sure, even if many in this thread understandably who have read what I have to say on Jamarra will obviously favour Jamarra long-term.

The serious question is emerging as to how useful Jamarra is for the Dogs and how the Dogs can maximise their chances with this current group. As per my earlier comments.

And you land on De Goey as the player that maximises their chances? Despite being the highest scoring side in the comp with a forward line that Jamarra can't currently fit into and a midfield that would have De Goey about 7th best.

So there will be people who would accept De Goey for Jamarra I'm sure

Yeah, they're called Collingwood supporters :tearsofjoy:

==

You've admitted that all you've seen is some practice match footage of Jamarra this year yet you're writing authoritively on how he's going like you're on expert on the subject.

Nothing you have written here can be taken seriously lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back