QAFL 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

same message we got last time, then we get told what is happening.

Matt is a ripper, but its just hard to navigate these times.

my guess is that they will keep all dates as is, and each week that is lost they will assume a victory by the higher ranking team and we will just keep moving forward.

Devastating in the youth space as well.

Channel 7 have rung me chasing a comment, hard to know what to say.

My read on it is that we have 2 teams left now, season over for the rest of the club. Then we get into the murky waters of families chasing refunds for lost football, and us having to pass on those requests to AFLQ.

Junior season was reduced from 14 to 12 games inexplicably as well, incredibly short season for u8 through to u11, just 12 games! (or 11 for those who hadn't started on time last week!)

facing a revolt from families, I didn't sign up for this sort of thing!

Good for ratings?? :)

So no Community Sport for another 2 weeks, want defines ‘Community Sport’?
QAFL has a Salary cap which suggests players are being paid, a paid sportsman is deemed as Professional, I gather ‘Community’ means amateur sports ?
I’m guessing they are referring to ‘Community’ sports so we don’t cause an uproar if Southport/ Aspley have home games in the next 2 weeks Cos they are VFL not Community sport teams

Not a lot of understanding from the people in the western suburbs Thommo.. :) I would suggest based on income demographics that Sherwood might be better situated than any club in SEQ outside of Noosa and Morningside possibly to forgo some $$ :mask:

We draw players from well beyond the immediate area. However, do agree to some extent as chasing a $50 refund from a club because a few games got cancelled, when you turn up in a Porsche does raise eyebrows.

Not a charity though.

QAFL has a Salary cap which suggests players are being paid, a paid sportsman is deemed as Professional, I gather ‘Community’ means amateur sports ?
I’m guessing they are referring to ‘Community’ sports so we don’t cause an uproar if Southport/ Aspley have home games in the next 2 weeks Cos they are VFL not Community sport teams

nice try Ablett it’ll be everyone off except AFL/NRL as they have proper allocated seating etc.

just hope that AFLQ shows some flexibility if we have to put everything back a couple weeks to have proper finals series ( from the under 12s to QAFL seniors and everything in between ) them so be it.

Self serving suggestion is when lockdown started, there were 8 teams in finals contention in QAFL Seniors. Play a final 8 finals series that mirrors the AFL competition.

Not the worst suggestion.

as a second placed finisher my club would get 2 home finals with this format.
Financially would be a great scenario for us although harder to get in the GF so it’s a bit swings and roundabouts

Financially would be a great scenario for us although harder to get in the GF so it’s a bit swings and roundabouts
Running with a top 8 is suggesting we're into guessing the outcome of the last 2 rounds. If that is the case then clubs need to go back to a few weeks ago and add that one in. And then maybe guess how the 2 teams they didnt play twice whilst we're at it

it means the 8 teams that still had a chance to play finals, play finals. Gets 8 teams playing footy and generating revenue

No need to assume outcomes of games, just ends the season where it was at the end of Round 17, when only 8 teams could make it anyway and they hold their spots at that point.

Top 4 get double chance like AFL, still only takes 4 weeks and we don't end up with 12-13 games deciding finals instead of 18

most importantly, more football is played. (yes, my club benefits from this - not going to pretend otherwise)

Also potentially saves AFLQ from paying financial compensation for the 5 rounds of football lost so far, which would be significant across 11 teams at $10k+ per team if you amortise QAFL competition fees over 18 games and then multiply by 5.

We draw players from well beyond the immediate area. However, do agree to some extent as chasing a $50 refund from a club because a few games got cancelled, when you turn up in a Porsche does raise eyebrows.

Not a charity though.
Yeah some say that's why they drive that porsche. I would argue that's why they are probably a tosser... Agree - that would do my head in.

A professional is someone who relies predominantly on that income. Not sure anyone running around at QAFL level is relying on that money solely except if they are a student. Community sport is anything played below the 2nd tier, possibly the top tier. Don't think anyone needs to split hairs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any truth to the rumour going around that Noosa have offered the coaching position to someone out of the ACT ?? From what I’m hearing the committee didn’t even know an offer was made from people behind the scenes and are not happy???
Please this club is embarrassing it self ATM
So disrespectful to anyone at that club and on that committee which some are life members

Any truth to the rumour going around that Noosa have offered the coaching position to someone out of the ACT ?? From what I’m hearing the committee didn’t even know an offer was made from people behind the scenes and are not happy???
So disrespectful to anyone at that club and on that committee which some are life members

I may be wrong but my understanding it wasn't the coaching position but the director of football role which they are creating for 2022 (or I think they are). NB would certainly be more qualified to comment. I saw an ad for the coaching job just last week - not sure it would have been filled by now.

And going to the gym (indoors) is ok. This is a knee jerk reaction to the karate school
Yeah I think all along there hasn't been a great deal of logic attached to what can be opened and what can't be. Gyms are a small business I suppose and these owners would be suffering. Footy clubs in the main are just community not for profit organisations. Saying this both are great for mental health as much as physical health and I would have thought community sport might get opened up. Obviously there is paranoia around kids carrying the delta strain

A not for profit still needs revenue to survive. They ought to be called not for loss. These decisions are robbing these businesses of massive revenue and the league doesn’t seem to care

Self serving suggestion is when lockdown started, there were 8 teams in finals contention in QAFL Seniors. Play a final 8 finals series that mirrors the AFL competition.

No logical reason that wouldn't get up when you consider all the options.

Includes all teams in finals contention pre-lockdown - tick
Doesn't require any additional weeks or a change in schedules - tick
Gets more footy played at State League level - tick
Allows 8 home finals for revenue boost - tick
Gets 9 games played over a 4 week period instead of 7 - tick
In the best interests of football - tick

Sure, Sherwood and Palmy the biggest beneficiaries on the field, but neither would host a final and it just makes sense (so probably won't happen!)

Same should happen in youth footy and any other grades of footy, every option should be considered where the outcome is that more football is played, not less. Example. Instead of going to a 1v2 scenario in youth footy, go to a 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 Prelim and then GF next week if there is two weeks available.

Hope they are genuinely considering all options, and not just taking the easy road. Hearing from plenty of QFA clubs and youth teams that there is zero consultation going on again....

I may be wrong but my understanding it wasn't the coaching position but the director of football role which they are creating for 2022 (or I think they are). NB would certainly be more qualified to comment. I saw an ad for the coaching job just last week - not sure it would have been filled by now.
Nope the coaching job

Which committee member are you?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back