Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

His wife Jerri did say in her post that he was heartbroken about not playing. Hopefully it’s just a temporary thing and we hear more from him soon. Just weird that he didn’t announce it

He was literally one of the only shining lights in the darkest period of our club, I hated watching us play during that time, just made me sad, but Nate Jones made it seem like there was some light at the end of that tunnel.

Thankyou for everything you contributed to this club Jonesy, you’re a massive part of why we’re a respected club again, on and off the field. Hope we can get that flag for him.

I agree entirely FWIW

I can absolutely understand why he'd be disappointed but the reality was we literally gifted him 300 games this year, the club let him choose whether to go on this year or not but obviously that meant they would pick him on merit at a certain point. He has suffered from having no VFL to show some really good form in and also our form would be above basically what everyone expected so the team has been very settled all year.

I can absolutely understand why he'd be disappointed but the reality was we literally gifted him 300 games this year, the club let him choose whether to go on this year or not but obviously that meant they would pick him on merit at a certain point. He has suffered from having no VFL to show some really good form in and also our form would be above basically what everyone expected so the team has been very settled all year.

Its Shakespearean tragedy in a very MFC way.

He has every right to be disappointed, just shouldn't be pointing the finger at the FC. Maybe needs to take a look at his last 3-4 seasons and blame himslef for giving us basically nothing

He has every right to be disappointed, just shouldn't be pointing the finger at the FC. Maybe needs to take a look at his last 3-4 seasons and blame himslef for giving us basically nothing
Don't do this today, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah F him

What a gutless way to announce his retirement and have a sly crack at the way he wasn't gifted a spot in the GF

No doubt he is and always will be a champion of the FC but he needs to take a look at his performances the last 3-4 years
Disagree. There is really nothing to read into it that we didn't already know. He's gone home, had his kids and retired in he space of 3-4 days which is going to go a long way to removing any Jones related speculation or commentary as distractions for the remainder of the build up.

Spot on. After his finish to 2020, the club probably could've just called time on his career for him. I'm so glad they instead chose to get him to 300 but the results show that they've done the right thing since.

If we're to get it done next week, he'll rightly be attributed a great deal of credit for the culture shift that has resulted in us being in this position. A true legend of our footy club and I'll be forever thankful for his loyalty and contributions.

Disappointed in his final message

Should have waited until after the GF to basically have a sook about not playing

Does he realize he had been gifted 3-4 extra seasons with little to no input?

JFC. What part of his message was sooking about not playing? He said he was disappointed- what elite athlete wouldn’t be disappointed about missing out on the ultimate prize?

And the rest of his words were superb and showcased his great love and care for the club.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Look there’s definitely something to this, but hopefully it blows over and in sure it is very minor.

LP surely gearing up for a big MB tribute thread

Nah F him

What a gutless way to announce his retirement and have a sly crack at the way he wasn't gifted a spot in the GF

No doubt he is and always will be a champion of the FC but he needs to take a look at his performances the last 3-4 years
…what? Of course he’s disappointed, don’t call him gutless for working through thick and thin towards this success and now at the edge of tasting it not getting the chance. Bloody hell.

Thanks Chunk. Shining light in the hell of 2012-13.

Look there’s definitely something to this, but hopefully it blows over and in sure it is very minor.

LP surely gearing up for a big MB tribute thread
Tempting but I have work to do!!

Thank you Nathan for your service. He'll always hold a special place at the club no doubt. Hope he can stay involved in some capacity.

In saying that I'm glad that this was out of the way this week and not something lingering on for the next week and a bit. Let's the guys focus knowing that it's a closed chapter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back