Autopsy Cats lose to Suns by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

One thing I find interesting is that Scott said it a lot at the start of last year, but not so much now: They cared less about how high they finished in the eight than how well they could play once there. If they had to drop a few H&A because of it, so be it. (Turned out we finished top so everyone seemd to forget about that)

He repeated that a few times early last year.

I guess it also applies this year.

The question for me is, what did that mean in real terms last year, and does it still apply? Was it simply an acknowledgment that a more attacking game plan was required for big finals? Or was there a "peak fitness window" aspect to it?

Quite possibly the worst game I've ever seen us play. Insipid from start to finish.

We are a shell of the 2022 side. We beat Gold Coast by 10 goals last year near the peak of our powers. We deserved to lose by 10 goals on the weekend.

Our season is far from over. We played 3 high-quality quarters against Collingwood who are the current flag favourites. We had our chances to beat Carlton last week who fancy themselves as a top 4 team. This proves we aren't too far behind the 8-ball. Collingwood and Carlton were always 50/50 games. You saw how their supporters reacted after beating us - carried on as if they had won the grand final.

Must beat Hawthorn next week... 1-3 (if we lose, start tanking for pick 1 and write the year off)

Must beat WCE the week after... 2-3 (no guarantee, although they are battered with injuries)

The big challenge question mark is against Sydney in Round 6 at home. Do we go 2-4 or 3-3? This will define our season. First things first, let's handle Hawthorn on Easter Monday in a similar manner to the pre-season game against them.

The return of Duncan and Kolo will help settle our defence and ball movement.

We need a huge lift from Atkins, Guthrie, Danger, Blicavs, Close, and Stengle to name a few...

Scott Lucas said it on Sunday Crunch Time on SEN. He said we have a mental lag when judging teams both in the positive and negative. That is to say we judge a team on past year/s form and that gives us our beliefs about each team. For instance we judge the cats in the positive because based on previous form we think they will come good and get on a run and they'll be right. Whereas for a team like Gold Coast or St.kilda we judge them in the negative sense because based on previous form we think they'll slip up eventually and they'll start losing..
I think after 3 losses our mental lag regarding the cats should be updated and realise that actually they're below average at this stage and should be judged on that...
but we hope they can turn it around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As others have said I think Hawkins can be given a spell and work on his program away from game day. Also I think it would be good to get a look at another forward structure for a couple of weeks, because Stengle and Close haven't done much either. Yes the midfield hasn't helped matters but it seems a one man band down there with only jezza doing the business. Maybe we can try a smaller forward line that can help defend transition out of F50 better? Also the two new boys in the middle isn't working as they don't get enough of it at this stage. As for 'Judd' Holmes... well it's not happening.... Work to be done!

I don’t like to watch us lose, but I think we need some balance. Let’s look at the facts.
Chris Scott is playing some players that haven’t played for Geelong before - O. Henry, Bruhn and Bowes. They are all showing glimpses but they have work to do. We’ve also got Esava in the backline (he’s doing well). Right off the bat that’s 4 new players from the 22 last year.
We’ve lost our captain (the effect of this is glossed over). He was still a gun for us, under rated how good he was as a footballer even his last 2 years.
Danger isn’t fit yet and they are holding him back.
The rest of our team is probably a month behind the competition having played deep into finals - and winning the thing!!
Things will change soon. I’m expecting a couple of ‘outs’ this week. Bring in Sam Simpson and Kolo - suddenly our backline is looking better with Esava replacing SDK from the premiership team and we are only down Henry. I’d give SDK two weeks off, he’s sick and sorry. Jack Henry to come back in soon.

A guy called Duncan is not too far away either…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Scott Lucas said it on Sunday Crunch Time on SEN. He said we have a mental lag when judging teams both in the positive and negative. That is to say we judge a team on past year/s form and that gives us our beliefs about each team. For instance we judge the cats in the positive because based on previous form we think they will come good and get on a run and they'll be right. Whereas for a team like Gold Coast or St.kilda we judge them in the negative sense because based on previous form we think they'll slip up eventually and they'll start losing..
I think after 3 losses our mental lag regarding the cats should be updated and realise that actually they're below average at this stage and should be judged on that...
but we hope they can turn it around

This is so accurate. It's repeated year after year. Commentators in particular continue to wax lyrical about their particular favourite teams or players even when it's obvious to everyone else they aren't remotely the same.

The negative part is almost humourous. If a side has had a long flag drought, opposition fans keep bringing it up as if it's some magical power - or that the same group of people were in charge the whole time. Saw this in real time with Geelong in 2007, Richmond in 2017, and Melbourne in 2021. You'd think we'd have learnt by now that every year really is different.

We'll likely drop back a little this year, some of the older guys look a little slower and they can't go on forever. Was bound to happen at some point. I'm not troubled at all by the young guys - it's way too early to make a call. Easy to freak out but there's still tons to like from all the young guys so far. They'll only get better.

they're catching up now. Cornes, King, Lloyd....

I think it’s pretty clear, we partied hard and long, and basically did an Auskick like pre season. You can see it in the way we’re playing, we look stuffed from the get go, no communication or leadership, our awareness is poor, skills are horrid, we can’t even hit up simple 20m kicks. It does look like 22 blokes who have been on a big bender and trying to find their feet again.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to expect a significant drop off after reaching the pinnacle last year with a group who’ve gone and gone and gone again to win one.

I do agree with your sentiments

And Collingwood who i think are the best team in the comp - and if they aernt - i think they are in the top 3

They are playing with tremendous energy - and if they win this years flag - the following year they might not play with that tremendous energy

Having said that - the only dissappointing thing re Geel - lack of hunfger - and it applies to all sides - there should not be a drop off in hunger or effort - simply because of the fantastic money they are being paid

Dallhaus who was a very average player - he was on 500k - if your getting that type of money - and you are only playing about 20 games a year - even if your playing in a bottom side - then you should bring total effort each week to earn your incredible pay cheque

Thought Scott was correct when he said you just have to be a bit off your best and you can be beaten. Considering we are a long way off our best and have played a couple of good teams, it’s not dreadful yet. We were pretty good against the pies for three quarters, solid against Carlton despite playing ordinary footy. We were terrible yesterday but am confident that we will knock off the hawks and am happy to get our season back on track against that mob. Go cats.
and Guthrie needs to get a wig and see if that helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back