Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think it would cause too much chaos for us imagine what it would be like being a defender and being drawn way out of the backline before realising you're out of position, or being a mid charging towards a loose ball and seeing Stewart coming through like a steam train.

I think we gain more than we lose from said chaos because we drive the chaos.

Whether we gain more than we lose with him leaving the backline is the part that is making me sweat
Good point actually... It creates more chaos for the oppo team. I worry Tom won't get solid experience as a midfielder if he's chopping and changing back and forth, and likewise whoevers dropping back while he's in the mf. Won't be able to make the spot they're own...
Also we desperately need to fix our midfield so will be interesting to see if it throws our game out of balance. I understand the sweats !

Last edited:
Stewart's assets as a defender have always made him an obvious candidate for the midfield.
The question is whether they can restructure the defence so as to cover his loss there.
Don't need to cover the defence when he dominates the midfield ;)

I can see scenarios where we're chasing the match, so mix it up by throwing Stuart 🤣 in the middle to wrestle a few clearances and get ahead.

Sorry/Not sorry for my blatant attempt to troll the speeling pendents 😋

edit: Grammar
This was the scenario last year, but you don't really want to be having to react to the opposition. Need to play our own game.

This was the scenario last year, but you don't really want to be having to react to the opposition. Need to play our own game.

In reality though there is always a need to respond to the opposition in game. If we've done some prep on the pre season which helps with scenario planning I'm all for it. Even though it might not be "The plan".

I wouldn't say that but it wouldn't surprise me if he explodes and kicks 80 next year
You wouldn't say that about Nathan Ablett? As potentially best player ever?
Or are you referring to JUH?
That was a 2 part reply you were referring to.

Spot on.

Scott moved Stokes, Chapman and Johnson to midfield more when we needed it.

Bartel became more of a forward.

Ablett moved forward.

Atkins went from forward, to defence, to midfield based on what the team needed.

Smith/Tuohy had stints at half forward to complement their main roles.

Blicavs has had ruck, ruck/defence, all defence and midfield/ruck years.

O'Connor is highly versatile.

J.Henry has been a swingman when required. Taylor too.

Now from these examples I'm in no way suggesting Stewart will have a permanent redefining of role. But he might add a burst here or there to a place of need.
Great summary.
And Cam Guthrie has played very "nomadically" as well. He did quite well as a tagger , even on Dustin Martin in the 17 finals until he got injured, and was doing well.
I think the way footy is played today, versatility is a given, unless you are a pure ruck or a Tom Hawkins type.
Duncan also has this attribute.

Just watched James Kelly's presser. The big news - the club has no ceilings.:oops:;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't say that about Nathan Ablett? As potentially best player ever?
Or are you referring to JUH?
That was a 2 part reply you were referring to.
That's just a pipedream and impossible to get close to predicting despite the talent.

It'd take a mighty effort to convince me that anybody could EVER overtake his old man.

SNR had everything.

I can see scenarios where we're chasing the match, so mix it up by throwing Stuart 🤣 in the middle to wrestle a few clearances and get ahead.

Sorry/Not sorry for my blatant attempt to troll the speeling pendents 😋

edit: Grammar
No problem FoahKwoata_Ket

Can anyone share some insight into Jhye Clark's progress?

Is he training? Likely to be fit by pre-season?

Thanks
The house is on fire.

I think this is the best preseason we've had in a long time.

I was once a builder so I'm touching wood.

My belief is that most players can defend, we need extra dynamic players in the middle and Stewart is that, Im happy with the experiment if it even happens
Won’t be shocked to see Mannagh in there a bit.

Sure he still hasn’t played a game yet… but he is certainly a dynamic, attacking type.

Newest training drill: during game sim at the whistle everyone jumps over two positions on the magnet chart. Next whistle, two more positions.

:winkv1:

Stanley to the back pocket

Miers to the ruck

😎

My belief is that most players can defend, we need extra dynamic players in the middle and Stewart is that, Im happy with the experiment if it even happens
My belief is the other way. 99% of kids drafted have always been the stars of their team. Defence was something they ran through on the way out to the centre.

It’s probably the major reason why younger teams really struggle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back