Son_Of_God29

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Borussia Dortmund
With the retirement of Izzy and the delisting of Menegola, So starts the inevitable changes the Senior List for 2024 and beyond

Based on the 2023 Geelong List below is what I believe would be Best 23 in round 1 2024.....of course this is before Trade Period and the Draft.

I will not be selecting players that have been subject to trade rumours ie Sav or have retired or been de-listed

Will make any updates when news comes of list changes

Backs: Bews De Koning J. Henry

HB: Duncan Stewart Z.Guthrie

C: Holmes Bruhn Blicavs

HF: O Henry Cameron Close

FF: Stengle Hawkins Miers

Foll: Conway Atkins C.Guthrie

Int: Rohan Dangerfield Parfitt O'Connor

Emg: Stanley Dempsy Bowes Mullin

Depth:

Tuohy
Kolodjashnij
Knevitt
Whyte
Clark
Foster
Willis
Riccardi
Kroeger
Murdoch
Neale
Simpson
Clohesy
Hardie

Feedback is appreciated.

Last edited:
With the retirement of Izzy and the delisting of Menegola, So starts the inevitable changes the Senior List for 2024 and beyond

Based on the 2023 Geelong List below is what I believe would be Best 23 in round 1 2024.....of course this is before Trade Period and the Draft.

I will not be selecting players that have been subject to trade rumours ie Sav or have retired or been de-listed

Will make any updates when news comes of list changes

Backs: Bews De Koning J. Henry

HB: Duncan Stewart Z.Guthrie

C: Holmes Bruhn Blicavs

HF: O Henry Cameron Close

FF: Stengle Hawkins Miers

Foll: Conway Atkins C.Guthrie

Int: Rohan Dangerfield Parfitt Bowes

Emg: Stanley Dempsy Neale Mullin

Depth:

Tuohy
Kolodjashnij
Knevitt
Whyte
Clark
Foster
Willis
Riccardi
Kroeger
Murdoch
Simpson
Clohesy
Hardie

Feedback is appreciated.

Can we rename this to "The annual Mark O'Connor isn't in anyone's best 23 despite having not been dropped from the best 23 since late 2018" thread?

Not even including him in depth after his best year in favour of some guys who will be delisted is sort of impressive though.

It normally works for Kolo too but at least he's in the depth group.

Can we rename this to "The annual Mark O'Connor isn't in anyone's best 23 despite having not been dropped from the best 23 since late 2018" thread?

Not even including him in depth after his best year in favour of some guys who will be delisted is sort of impressive though.

It normally works for Kolo too but at least he's in the depth group.
Ill add Shark

B- Blivcas J.Henry Z.Guthrie
HB- Stewart SDK Duncan
C- Knevitt C.Guthrie Dempsey
HF- Close Cameron Miers
F- O.Henry Hawkins Stengle
FOLL- Conway Bruhn Holmes
I/C- O’Connor, Parfitt, Neale, Bowes

FB: Bews - SDK - JHenry

HB: Duncan - Stewart - Z.Guthrie

MF: Holmes - Bruhn - Blicavs

HF: Miers - Cameron - Close

FF: Stengle - Hawkins - OHenry

Foll: Stanley - Atkins - C.Guthrie

Int: Rohan - Dangerfield - Bowes - O'Connor

Emg: Conway Dempsey Parfitt Tuohy

I think Wing is an interesting position next season. Holmes has pace and is a natural winger. Blicavs has power running and can mark, and I think he could do well out there. But I do wonder if we have someone with a bit of speed who ends up out there. I also wonder if Scott puts Tuohy out there. I can't really think of a realistic target out there who would provide pace and kicking penetration on the opposite wing. And it seems like our targets are rumoured to be central mids.

Bews and Parfitt in - no Dempsey or Neale! No Stanley or Bowes - the latter played his best game for us on Saturday. At least Kolo is out.

The idea is to try to improve the team after a year of failure, not to consolidate mediocrity.

Bews and Parfitt in - no Dempsey or Neale! No Stanley or Bowes - the latter played his best game for us on Saturday. At least Kolo is out.

The idea is to try to improve the team after a year of failure, not to consolidate mediocrity.
How is Neale getting in ahead of Cameron and Hawkins next season?

B: Zuthrie SDK Stewart
HB: Duncan Henry MOC
C: Holmes Atkins Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Stengle
F: O Henry Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Bruhn Danger
Int Guthrie Rohan/dempsey clark knevitt sub: bowes

Stanley is a placeholder for whichever ruck we trade in this offseason. That guy will be our starting ruck next year until conway is ready.

B: Zuthrie SDK Stewart
HB: Duncan Henry MOC
C: Holmes Atkins Blicavs
HF: Miers Cameron Stengle
F: O Henry Hawkins Close
R: Stanley Bruhn Danger
Int Guthrie Rohan/dempsey clark knevitt sub: bowes

Stanley is a placeholder for whichever ruck we trade in this offseason. That guy will be our starting ruck next year until conway is ready.
Wow.. to be behind a no-name imaginary person in the ruck pecking order before the season starts? That's gonna eat away at Stanley and Conway all preseason. :p

Best 22 to start 2024

FB: Bews - SDK - J Henry

HB: Duncan - Stewart - Zuthrie

MF: Holmes - Guthrie - Blicavs

HF: Miers - Cameron - O Henry

FF: Close - Hawkins - Stengle

Foll: Stanley - Atkins - Dangerfield

Int: Rohan - Bruhn - Kolo - O'Connor

Emg: Conway Dempsey Bowes Tuohy

By the end of the year I expect/hope that Conway, Neale, Clark, Knevitt, Mullin, Dempsey will play anywhere from 10-15 games. Will need to rotate some of our older players, but if it's anything like this year it'll probably be natural with all the injuries.

Best 22 to start 2024

FB: Bews - SDK - J Henry

HB: Duncan - Stewart - Zuthrie

MF: Holmes - Guthrie - Blicavs

HF: Miers - Cameron - O Henry

FF: Close - Hawkins - Stengle

Foll: Stanley - Atkins - Dangerfield

Int: Rohan - Bruhn - Kolo - O'Connor

Emg: Conway Dempsey Bowes Tuohy

By the end of the year I expect/hope that Conway, Neale, Clark, Knevitt, Mullin, Dempsey will play anywhere from 10-15 games. Will need to rotate some of our older players, but if it's anything like this year it'll probably be natural with all the injuries.
I genuinely hope we see at least 15 games out of Conway and I think its worth playing him and Stanley together in games since Stanley can drop forward or back depending on who we play. Then you can have Blicavs as a genuine mid or put him back into defence where he also excels.
Clark absolutely gets games, had he not gotten injured this season he would have played at least 10. Had he not been injured could have played from Rd 9 til the end of the season. Its a real shame considering how other clubs the last few years are having their top 10 picks impact their midfields almost immediately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Bews, SDK, J. Henry
HB: Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie
C: Holmes, Blics, Bowes
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Danger
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: T. Atkins, Bruhn, Duncan, Tuohy
Sub: J. Clark

EMG: Conway, S. Neale, O'Connor, Parfitt

Next up depth - Knevitt, Dempsey, 2023 Pick 7, Riccardi, Clohesy, Mullin

B- Blivcas J.Henry Z.Guthrie
HB- Stewart SDK Duncan
C- Knevitt C.Guthrie Dempsey
HF- Close Cameron Miers
F- O.Henry Hawkins Stengle
FOLL- Conway Bruhn Holmes
I/C- O’Connor, Parfitt, Neale, Bowes

Not even close. Blics won't play full back, Atkins is a walk up start, and Parfitt, Conway and Neale aren't. May change throughout the year, but the one I'm genuinely impressed you missed - is Dangerfield.

B: Bews, SDK, J. Henry
C: Holmes, Blics, Bowes
FO: Stanley, Guthrie, Danger
HF: O. Henry, J. Cameron, Miers
F: Stengle, Hawkins, Close
INT: T. Atkins, Bruhn, Duncan, Tuohy
Sub: J. Clark

EMG: Conway, S. Neale, O'Connor, Parfitt

Next up depth - Knevitt, Dempsey, 2023 Pick 7, Riccardi, Clohesy, Mullin
Looks very strong on paper…

But I wonder if we (and the club) risk falling into the trap of sticking with the same team hoping they click…and defy age with injury…and keep hunger etc.

2022 we were lucky in back end with injury…but we did have organic growth from SDK, Zuthrie, Atkins (and Holmes) as well as Stengle new to come into the best 22 from 2021…

The team above really doesn’t have anything new (noting Clark breaking out) and I think if this is where we are at we will potentially find ourselves behind the pack. Only 3 of that 22 are different from the 2022 premiership team (replacing Selwood, Smith and MOC) and (to state the obvious) will all be 2 years older (from the oldest team in history to win)…

Again on paper I find it hard to argue with the names…but I think to win we need at least 2 or 3 of those depth/emg players to push out people in the 2022 if we want to get better and leapfrog. Of course we might also get 1-2 stars in trading this year too…

FB: Bews De Koning Stewart

HB: O'Connor J.Henry Z.Guthrie

C: Holmes Dangerfield Duncan

HF: Close Cameron Miers

FF: Stengle Hawkins Rohan

FOL: Stanley Atkins Guthrie

IC: O.Henry Bruhn Bowes Blicavs Tuohy(sub)

O'Connor as our permanent rebounding half back. Rohan an important piece - he instantly provides pressure and lifts the defensive game of those around him - but to have a good amount of "managed" games to help him. O.Henry for bursts but more as a swap with Close or Stengle. Clark as support to Bruhn, Blicavs the flexible option (second ruck, midfield, wing, third tall in defence - whatever we need), Dempsey as support for Rohan/Duncan management, Kolo in for Bews or MOC when the opposition have 3 talls, Bowes wing or on ball with potential for Duncan to rotate as quarter back (minus Tuohy and Smith, with more midfield prominence I think this could work...especially if Kolo is not in as another slow guy back there). Holmes and Stengle providing the odd burst at stoppages.

I doubt they go with the above but this is how I'd do it.

Looks very strong on paper…

But I wonder if we (and the club) risk falling into the trap of sticking with the same team hoping they click…and defy age with injury…and keep hunger etc.

2022 we were lucky in back end with injury…but we did have organic growth from SDK, Zuthrie, Atkins (and Holmes) as well as Stengle new to come into the best 22 from 2021…

The team above really doesn’t have anything new (noting Clark breaking out) and I think if this is where we are at we will potentially find ourselves behind the pack. Only 3 of that 22 are different from the 2022 premiership team (replacing Selwood, Smith and MOC) and (to state the obvious) will all be 2 years older (from the oldest team in history to win)…

Again on paper I find it hard to argue with the names…but I think to win we need at least 2 or 3 of those depth/emg players to push out people in the 2022 if we want to get better and leapfrog. Of course we might also get 1-2 stars in trading this year too…

I was actually quite surprised at how strong that side looked on paper, and what a good pre season and much less injuries throughout the year, could do for them.

I tend to agree about necessary change, and was very hesitant to leave out guys like Knevitt and Dempsey, who could easily push into the Best 23 next year - at the expense of elder statesmen like Tuohy.

With that said, that's my Best 23 at the start of next year, but this is my 'aspirational Best 23', for 2025 and beyond - with the list we'll have end of this year:

B: Mullin, SDK, J. Henry
C: Holmes, T. Atkins, Bowes
FO: Conway, C. Guthrie, Bruhn
HF: O. Henry, S. Neale, Miers
F: Dempsey, J. Cameron, Stengle
INT: Blics, Close, Knevitt, J. Clark
Sub: 2023 Pick 7

Bolded
are the differences from our 2022 GF side. So 11 in total which is definitely significant in the space of 3 years.

Reckon we see all of those guys throughout this year, while guys like Dunc, Hawk, Stanley, Tuohy, Rohan etc are all managed - rather than just injured.

Whatever happens over the next few years though, at the very least, it's gonna be interesting!

I like what you’ve done there Shadow.
My guess is one more year from Hawk, Duncan, Tuohy and Rohan. And 2 more years for Danger Blicavs and Stanley.

But for 2024, IF (big IF) we get a good run of injuries, I think a side similar to 2022 can still challenge.

FB: Kolo SDK ZGuthrie
HB: Stewart JHenry Duncan
C: Tuohy Blicavs Holmes
R: Stanley Guthrie Danger
HF: Close Cameron Miers
FF: Stengle Hawkins OHenry
Int: Rohan Bews Atkins Bruin

Emg: O’Connor Bowes Parfitt Knevitt

Others: Mulin Whyte JClark Conway
Neal Dempsey Simpson

Skipping to the controversy:
  • F50 and D50 are pretty much set in stone including bench rotation which only leaves 8 spots + sub up for grabs
  • Yes I love Bruhn. No he's not in the 22. Likely injury rate means he probably plays the whole season so it's academic
  • Pursuant to point 1: Danger would be my designated sub out for Bruhn, similar to how we seemed to be trying to manage Ceglar I would try preserve him and I don't think we can clog our fwd 50 with him when the f50 looks elite. I'd be reasonably happy to start Bruhn and sub off for Danger too.
  • I couldn't find a spot for Bowes, Mullin, or Dempsey which I'm not sure I like.
  • I love Tuohy. I like Knevitt. I'd like to see Knevitt push him out. May not happen.

Bews, SDK, J. Henry
Stewart, Kolo, Zuthrie
Holmes, Blics, Knevitt
Stanley, Guthrie, Dangerfield
Rohan, J. Cameron, Miers
Stengle, Hawkins, Close

Atkins, MOC, Duncan, O. Henry
Sub: Bruhn

Note: for those who care - Knevitt will be eligible for a rising star nom by 8 days. Dempsey will be eligible by 7 days. Would be good to get noms for those two and Jhye Clark as an endorsement of the young playing group. Conway eligible as a very, very long shot for a nomination for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back