Opinion Best 23 Pre Trade/Draft - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I respectfully suggest you should look at what the successful clubs are doing. My guess is you'll see more run from the back half next year. Rahilly has already hinted at it. We don't have long to wait.

Our lack off "run" (for the lack of a better word) this year wasn't from a lack of will, our plan A in 2023 wasn't much different from the plan A in 2022.

It goes down to the how are teams are able to and why teams try to move the ball that way.

Our inside midfield deficiencies lost us the teritory and space to go quick. when we did move it we had to push through an aerial contest, which removes some of the point in going quick in the first place.

Collingwood created space by pulling extra players to the contest with extra players near the ball they could ping it around in short until they found a clear player. Their players spread locally to receive a shot kick. If their opponents refused to press they would take advantage of the space to switch to a running defender. Collingwood’s extra midfielders came from their forward line. They took advantage of their opponents set up by ignoring the periphery defenders whose main aim is to funnel the opposition kick to the intercepting tall and then place an athletic tall to guard the intercepting defender.

A key difference on gf day. Collingwood pressed while Brisbane flooded. This created an asymmetry of space.

The questions for us is how we create space and where we try to use the plus ones. Last half of the year Stewart was being released. Good for him, not working for us as we weren’t breaking through their opposition’s zone. We had no ability to consistently create space. The parts of games where we did gave us hopes that we still had it. Collingwood like it when the opposition puts their plus one behind the ball. As it give them a free extra player on the ball. The first real change I hope to see is teams pushing extra numbers to the contest.

Run requires space before creating it.

If we can’t win it at the stoppages, then it is hard(not impossible )to have a rebound or a switch based game as you are pinned in your D50. The geometry of the ground is against you. A key ingredient to breaking out is that you need to have mobile contested marking threats throughout the team.that breakthrough mark can create a made dash for the opposition as their mentality changes from the broken press to flood back asap. This creates gaps for the “run” to occur

hey guys,is J.Clark close for round 1?if not what cab off the rank is he if a best 22 isnt available?also seems the Conway/Stanley battle seems pretty even with your predictions,how close is Conway to grabbing that spot?

cheers

hey guys,is J.Clark close for round 1?if not what cab off the rank is he if a best 22 isnt available?also seems the Conway/Stanley battle seems pretty even with your predictions,how close is Conway to grabbing that spot?

cheers

If fit Clark will definitely get games next year. Would be fighting with guys like Dempsey and Knevitt. Hard to see how all 3 get into the best 22 but all will play a fair bit and 1-2 will be regular selections.

Conway if fit will likely play 8+ games. It's possible he takes the number 1 spot but given his injury history I'd be surprised if he plays more than about 15 games even if he is number 1. More likely though is Stanley ends up number 1 but with plenty of management and rotation with Conway who is still very young for a ruck.

cheers

If it is a supercoach question I would steer clear of Clark unless he absolutely blitzed the pre season matches

Our lack off "run" (for the lack of a better word) this year wasn't from a lack of will, our plan A in 2023 wasn't much different from the plan A in 2022.

It goes down to the how are teams are able to and why teams try to move the ball that way.

Our inside midfield deficiencies lost us the teritory and space to go quick. when we did move it we had to push through an aerial contest, which removes some of the point in going quick in the first place.

Collingwood created space by pulling extra players to the contest with extra players near the ball they could ping it around in short until they found a clear player. Their players spread locally to receive a shot kick. If their opponents refused to press they would take advantage of the space to switch to a running defender. Collingwood’s extra midfielders came from their forward line. They took advantage of their opponents set up by ignoring the periphery defenders whose main aim is to funnel the opposition kick to the intercepting tall and then place an athletic tall to guard the intercepting defender.

A key difference on gf day. Collingwood pressed while Brisbane flooded. This created an asymmetry of space.

The questions for us is how we create space and where we try to use the plus ones. Last half of the year Stewart was being released. Good for him, not working for us as we weren’t breaking through their opposition’s zone. We had no ability to consistently create space. The parts of games where we did gave us hopes that we still had it. Collingwood like it when the opposition puts their plus one behind the ball. As it give them a free extra player on the ball. The first real change I hope to see is teams pushing extra numbers to the contest.

If we can’t win it at the stoppages, then it is hard(not impossible )to have a rebound or a switch based game as you are pinned in your D50. The geometry of the ground is against you. A key ingredient to breaking out is that you need to have mobile contested marking threats throughout the team.that breakthrough mark can create a made dash for the opposition as their mentality changes from the broken press to flood back asap. This creates gaps for the “run” to occur
Thanks Lana. Love the detail.

We (presumptuously speaking for ALL here) enjoy the research pieces from all of our forum stalwarts (you know who you are!)

I've a couple of peeves from the 2023 season:-
  1. Tackles don't seem to be sticking. More stringent penalties for Sling tackles (Good. Head is sacrosanct) seems to have made players more wary? Is it technique or something simple (like our younglings needs to put on more size)?
  2. When is a Mark a Mark? Our player takes the mark; gets bumped a split second later by an opposition player (designated bumper?); ball spills; opposition player waiting to crumb. Like rules/umpiring created a perverse incentive to tackle rather than take first possession, now, is there a perverse incentive not to mark but to bump (unless the ball is in your danger zone and you can pull off a sustained Mark)?

We (presumptuously speaking for ALL here) enjoy the research pieces from all of our forum stalwarts (you know who you are!)

1. Tackles don't seem to be sticking. More stringent penalties for Sling tackles (Good. Head is sacrosanct) seems to have made players more wary? Is it technique or something simple (like our younglings needs to put on more size)?
Yeh, 100% on board with our missed tackling. I think it was a direct result of our poor fitness. I’m expecting clear improvement next season.

If it is a supercoach question I would steer clear of Clark unless he absolutely blitzed the pre season matches
thanks good pickup,keeper leagues ultimate(now afl fantasy),clark vs s.berry in a couple of leagues & 2 of conway clark s.berry in another league(2 rucks on field so rucks important)

2. When is a Mark a Mark? Our player takes the mark; gets bumped a split second later by an opposition player (designated bumper?); ball spills; opposition player waiting to crumb. Like rules/umpiring created a perverse incentive to tackle rather than take first possession, now, is there a perverse incentive not to mark but to bump (unless the ball is in your danger zone and you can pull off a sustained Mark)?

As a game trend, 1. certainly favours offensive play. So I can't see the AFL doing anything to undo it. They'd just have to clamp down on incorrect disposal or even if just for safety reasons, instruct the umpires to make quicker decision. I often feel that the 2nd action of a tackle could have been avoided by a quicker whistle. The umpires were instructed to let the play go to reduce the number of stoppages, which just surved the purpose of increasing congestition as players have more time to get to the ball.

For trend 2, as long as there is no push in the back, chop of the arms or front on contact everything else is fair play. Winning a contest is some of the most valuable things you can do, I think it shows good coaching to realise when aiming to win the contest would lead you to a disadvantagous position. Just robbing your opponent of a win can be just as good.

B O’Sullivan J.Henry Z.Guthrie
HB Duncan SDK Stewart
C Holmes C.Guthrie Knevitt
HF Miers Cameron Close
F Stengle Hawkins O.Henry
FOLL- Stanley Bruhn Dangerfield
I/C- Clark, Bowes, Blivcas, Atkins, Dempsey

I quite enjoyed this read, I might go and re-watch some Collingwood off the back of it. Thanks

I often thought previously (expecting an impending midfield deficiency) that we needed to carry extra mids through F50, which we kind of do with Miers, but mostly for midfield development. Would be good for guys like Clohesy and Mannagh. That contested marking around the ground is a strength for Knevitt and Dempsey too that could be real useful.

quite enjoyed this read, I might go and re-watch some Collingwood off the back of it. Thanks

I often thought previously (expecting an impending midfield deficiency) that we needed to carry extra mids through F50, which we kind of do with Miers, but mostly for midfield development. Would be good for guys like Clohesy and Mannagh. That contested marking around the ground is a strength for Knevitt and Dempsey too that could be real useful.

The forward resting inside power midfield was the meta for a while. Fyfe, Martin, Petracca Dangefield etc. We've liked having a high half forward to allow the plus one behind the ball since Podsiadly retired, With the missing forward tending to be that crumbing goal sneak. Other than when we were playing a Hawkins Paddock, it didn't really hurt us as were we're moving the ball in a way that would allow a goal sneak to do serious damage.

A big change for us was using Blicavs as both inside midfield and 2nd ruck. Which let us prop up our midfield rotations and keep a conventional structure. Usually teams rush their ruckmen forward but in finals last year we rushed Stanley behind to stand a KPF we got a free plus 1.

What hurt us this year was that our midfield just plain sucked, we had many games where Atkins was our leading midfield offensively. in 2023 he was the 5th and last guy in the rotation. So many games where we were losing possession by 80 odd disposals. Probably hasn't been

It would take a really 2010 Collingwood like year for many of our developing kids to provide the change we need. Scott would have to dump a few of his favourites.

Post, but oh well

Kolo - SDK - Bews (Zuthrie)
T.Stewart - Henry - Holmes

Stanley - Danger - Blicavz (J.Clark)
Duncan - Guthrie - Atkins (Bruhn)

O.Henry - Jezza - Miers (Close)
Stengle - Hawkins - Rohan/Neale

Not bad team above.

Off the top of my head I see some possible variations to it.

MOC or Bowes in for Bews.
Mannagh in for Clark.

So that would have Knevitt, Clark, Conway, Dempsey, Mullin, Bews + two of MOC/Bowes, Rohan/Neale out.

I am kinda guessing Neale will be given a crack at it R1 with Rohan out.

Neale playing should give us enough ruck cover to not name Conway (sorry Tobes)

Obviously just assuming everyone is available here… but Rohan, who if fit does chuck a spanner in the Neale works.

Can’t wait for the preseason games.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post, but oh well

Mannagh will be in and bews wont be.
Rohan is injured.

The rest is about right.

Mannagh will be in and bews wont be.
Rohan is injured.

The rest is about right.
FB: Z.Guthrie De Koning J.Henry
HB: Stewart Kolo Duncan

C: Holmes C.Guthrie Blicavs
FOL: Stanley Bruhn Dangerfield

HF: Miers Cameron Close
FF: O.Henry Hawkins Stengle

IC: Bowes Atkins Mannagh O'Connor Tuohy(sub)

EMG: Dempsey Knevitt Clark Conway (all will get a good amount of games)

This assumes Rohan has a delayed start or is a reflection of how we'll go when he's managed/injured.

This assumes Rohan has a delayed start or is a reflection of how we'll go when he's managed/injured.

I’d reckon we might see Neale for O’Connor but I agree with the rest.

Would like to see O’Connor, Mullin & Knevitt play but who do you drop? Health wise we're in a good spot heading into rd 1.

Would like to see O’Connor, Mullin & Knevitt play but who do you drop? Health wise we're in a good spot heading into rd 1.
That’s the thing hey.

I like Dempsey and Knevitt… Its exciting to see players that you think will be the future of the club.

But if they are in, others are out and it’s hard to fit them in to a best 22 without injuries.

Trail matches will give us a better idea of how these fringe player types are travelling.

That’s the thing hey.

I like Dempsey and Knevitt… Its exciting to see players that you think will be the future of the club.

But if they are in, others are out and it’s hard to fit them in to a best 22 without injuries.

Trail matches will give us a better idea of how these fringe player types are travelling.

In 2022 we had an ok run with injuries most of the year and a great run late in the year. We still had 94 games played by players who weren't in our best 22 come finals.

That was O'Connor (22 games), Parfitt (17), Menegola (7), Higgins (5), Stephens (7), Ceglar (3), Knevitt (2), Dahlhaus (10), Narkle (8), Dempsey (2), Evans (5), Ratugolea (4) and Neale (2).

So realistically every week there will be on average 4 guys not in the best 22 getting a game. I'd expect if guys like Dempsey, Mannagh, Mullin, etc are in our best 26-27 players they'll find themselves playing virtually every week.

I would personally pick knevitt ahead of tuohy and i think you can make a case for dropping either bowes or moc. I think they will fast track clark. But your side is close to the mark.

Good team. Your guess is as good as mine. I have a little bit of “inside” from my track watcher - not selection but who is genuinely performed in the match simms (reporting is a bit patchy).

I am picking 7 backs, 8 mids and 7 forwards (with one each for the interchange) and then have sub. Will give my view of locks

Backs. Locks. Stewart, Zuthrie, Duncan, SDK, Henry. Others Duncan and Mullin

MF: Locks. Stanley, Guthrie, Danger, Bruin, Atkin Blitz (wing), Holmes (Wing). Other MOC (wing back up/utility)

Forwards. Locks. Jezza, Hawk, Stengle, Miers, O Henry, Close. Other Dempsey (track watcher say is way ahead of others. But needs to perform in practise games)

Sub I think will be 2E but could be Bowes

The only one I am unsure of is has Mullin genuinely got into best 23 by round 1. If not I think they put Bowes in.

As I said Dempsey will be the surprise if I am right. But I understand he has playe 90% of the match simms in the AFL team and really impressed the coaches. Lots of forward pressure, smart ball work leading to goals (You saw some glimpse on socials) and has pinch hit on the wing to break things up. He would have to reverse his form in practise games to “lose his spot” (which is of course entirely possible given we are 4 weeks away from round 1

This is tough for Knevitte but it is just so hard to find (without injury) a spot in the broad MF. Same with Clark - but frankly I am not overly concerned about him - just go and kill it in the VFL for a while. And of course Neale who has been very impressive in the pre season. We need to find a way for games but I just don’t see 3 forwards plus Henry working…

I think we are going to find Blitz much more on the wing in 2024 (with Guthrie back and Danger/Ax as bulls in the square) as they love the “outlet” he can provide from defence and also his run (and his greatness!)…Stanley to ruck and then drop behind the ball with Blitz ruck around the boundary (and Hawk in forward line). I think this is really interesting and potentially exciting (but reduces Knevitte chance which I am real sad about)

Again, Mannagh and Rohen will be working hard to prove my Dempsey view wrong but I understand that it is more up to Ollie keeping his form up than anything else…let’s see. I will be watching him and Mullin in particular in practise games for clues

Good team. Your guess is as good as mine. I have a little bit of “inside” from my track watcher - not selection but who is genuinely performed in the match simms (reporting is a bit patchy).

I am picking 7 backs, 8 mids and 7 forwards (with one each for the interchange) and then have sub. Will give my view of locks

MF: Locks. Stanley, Guthrie, Danger, Bruin, Atkin Blitz (wing), Holmes (Wing). Other MOC (wing back up/utility)

Forwards. Locks. Jezza, Hawk, Stengle, Miers, O Henry, Close. Other Dempsey (track watcher say is way ahead of others. But needs to perform in practise games)

The only one I am unsure of is has Mullin genuinely got into best 23 by round 1. If not I think they put Bowes in.

As I said Dempsey will be the surprise if I am right. But I understand he has playe 90% of the match simms in the AFL team and really impressed the coaches. Lots of forward pressure, smart ball work leading to goals (You saw some glimpse on socials) and has pinch hit on the wing to break things up. He would have to reverse his form in practise games to “lose his spot” (which is of course entirely possible given we are 4 weeks away from round 1

This is tough for Knevitte but it is just so hard to find (without injury) a spot in the broad MF. Same with Clark - but frankly I am not overly concerned about him - just go and kill it in the VFL for a while. And of course Neale who has been very impressive in the pre season. We need to find a way for games but I just don’t see 3 forwards plus Henry working…

I think we are going to find Blitz much more on the wing in 2024 (with Guthrie back and Danger/Ax as bulls in the square) as they love the “outlet” he can provide from defence and also his run (and his greatness!)…Stanley to ruck and then drop behind the ball with Blitz ruck around the boundary (and Hawk in forward line). I think this is really interesting and potentially exciting (but reduces Knevitte chance which I am real sad about)

Again, Mannagh and Rohen will be working hard to prove my Dempsey view wrong but I understand that it is more up to Ollie keeping his form up than anything else…let’s see. I will be watching him and Mullin in particular in practise games for clues
Cheers for the insight and intel, I really love the updates you bring.

That's very exciting news about Dempsey, who I really am very bullish on and had in some 2024 wish list" teams late last year. I just figured they may wait a little bit. I'm more than happy for them to pull the trigger early though if he is knocking the door down. Then Mannagh is on standby and can continue his great VFL work but as a Cat. I'm sure an opportunity will come.

I agree with your thoughts on Knevitt. He'll probably still get 10 games as we incur injuries or manage veterans, but it's hard to see him in the absolute best 22 at this stage. I'm never super keen on players at his stage being the sub, hence why I went for plug-and-play Tuohy, but I guess we could see some youngsters donning the vest at times for a bit of exposure.

Clark should aim to star in the VFL like you said. Growing form there means he could be a very valuable addition when some of the other midfield legs need a rest. Maybe we'll even play Dangerfield the odd game at half forward and bring a Clark or Knevitt in? Not as a primary option, but to manage Danger through the season.

Excited to see whoever they put out there! On paper this is still a good side.

Hope you're right – I'll be absolutely thrilled if both Dempsey and Mullin are starting 22 in round 1.

You've got Duncan in the backs twice?

Youve counted duncan twice.

Dempsey i really like but the issue is structure. If mannagh is in (and he will be) youve got the three small fwds + him so im not sure where dempsey fits unless he plays wing (where there is a spot).

I think you will find knevitt and clark will be pushing really hard and 2e and bowes will both be very vulnerable they are the logical 2 to drop out.

Youve counted duncan twice.

Dempsey i really like but the issue is structure. If mannagh is in (and he will be) youve got the three small fwds + him so im not sure where dempsey fits unless he plays wing (where there is a spot).

I think you will find knevitt and clark will be pushing really hard and 2e and bowes will both be very vulnerable they are the logical 2 to drop out.
Dempsey & Mannagh are competing for spots. Mannagh will be given every opportunity but will not be a lock unless he is good enough at AFL level, which remains to be seen.

Dempsey & Mannagh are competing for spots. Mannagh will be given every opportunity but will not be a lock unless he is good enough at AFL level, which remains to be seen.
Yeah it’s hard to see them both in the side at the same time unless we are struck down with injuries.

I’d guess it’s more likely neither would play than both in R1.

I’m a Dempsey fan and think he will continue to improve and be around for a while… but going on last years VFL form and the fact that we have drafted in Mannagh makes me think that we have a spot for him in the side.

25 possessions , 2 goals and 6 tackles per game in the VFL last for Mannagh is just too good for that level.

He is a pro now and hopefully can improve on his form now that he isn’t working a day job and can give absolutely everything to footy.

If Dempsey doesn’t outplay Mannagh in the trail games, I can’t see any way he could play ahead of him (unless some of Close/Stengle/Miers are unavailable).

There guys on the edge like Mannagh, Dempsey, Bowes, Knevitt and Neale ect will probably be going hammer and tongs in the practices matches to hopefully find a spot in the R1 side.

Guys like Danger and co that are safe in the side can just roll through the motions… but for a few others these practices matches are big games for them.

That’s why I’m super keen to see them.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back