Opinion Best 23 Pre Trade/Draft - Season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it’s hard to see them both in the side at the same time unless we are struck down with injuries.

I’d guess it’s more likely neither would play than both in R1.

I’m a Dempsey fan and think he will continue to improve and be around for a while… but going on last years VFL form and the fact that we have drafted in Mannagh makes me think that we have a spot for him in the side.

25 possessions , 2 goals and 6 tackles per game in the VFL last for Mannagh is just too good for that level.

He is a pro now and hopefully can improve on his form now that he will be isn’t working a day job and can give absolutely everything to footy.

If Dempsey doesn’t outplay Mannagh in the trail games, I can’t see any way he could play ahead of him (unless some of Close/Stengle/Miers are unavailable).

There guys on the edge like Mannagh, Dempsey, Bowes, Knevitt and Neale ect will probably be going hammer and tongs in the practices matches to hopefully find a spot in the R1 side.
So do
Guys like Danger and co that are safe in the side can just roll through the motions… but for a few others these practices matches are big games for them.

That’s why I’m super keen to see them.
It's a good point re Mannagh. He's proven himself at vfl level. So for his own development and confidence I feel like it makes sense to throw him straight into the AFL team Rd 1 and just see what he's got. He either finds out he belongs at that level, or that there are still things he needs to work on.
Dempsey I feel like he would appreciate getting continuity at either level. If he's playing full games and dominating at vfl level, then it may become hard to ignore him.

Youve counted duncan twice.

Dempsey i really like but the issue is structure. If mannagh is in (and he will be) youve got the three small fwds + him so im not sure where dempsey fits unless he plays wing (where there is a spot).

I think you will find knevitt and clark will be pushing really hard and 2e and bowes will both be very vulnerable they are the logical 2 to drop out.
I got excited on Duncan! Apparently his body is back to a 23yo after magic cure in USA so he will do twice what he did last year!!

On Dempsey I agree that if mannagh is in then Dempsey will struggle for that forward bench spot given team structure. My intel says he is ahead of mannagh right now for that spot (but of course that can change). They don’t feel obligated to play mannagh just due to age (ie Mitch Hardie). It is purely who they think is best for that spot.

Of course they could also go Rohan or Neale at some stage ahead of both depending on mix of team.

The good thing is that is seems like some good players will miss out if all available.

Close, Stengle, Miers, Dempsey and Mannagh are more than just small forwards and absolutely can play in the same side.

And if Mannagh has to be played due to his VFL form as a 25-26 year old what does making the VFL team of the year from just 14 games as a 20 year old mean?

Dempsey & Mannagh are competing for spots. Mannagh will be given every opportunity but will not be a lock unless he is good enough at AFL level, which remains to be seen.

Ill be staggered if he doesnt start in round 1 (which he will unless hes injured). From there if he performs he will stay in and if he doesnt he wont. Dempsey is a differenr situation due to the age difference.

I got excited on Duncan! Apparently his body is back to a 23yo after magic cure in USA so he will do twice what he did last year!!

On Dempsey I agree that if mannagh is in then Dempsey will struggle for that forward bench spot given team structure. My intel says he is ahead of mannagh right now for that spot (but of course that can change). They don’t feel obligated to play mannagh just due to age (ie Mitch Hardie). It is purely who they think is best for that spot.

Of course they could also go Rohan or Neale at some stage ahead of both depending on mix of team.

The good thing is that is seems like some good players will miss out if all available.

My intel says they are very impressed with mannagh on the track its just a matter of managing his loads as he has never been in the system full time. If hes fit i expect him to start...dempsey could squeeze in as well but in that scenario either one of them is taking the smith wing spot unless someone else drops out as they dont both fit in the forward line.

Mannagh is a very different case to hardie due to where he was drafted and the circumstances behind it. He was drafted for a specific reason as stewart etc were.

Close, Stengle, Miers, Dempsey and Mannagh are more than just small forwards and absolutely can play in the same side.

And if Mannagh has to be played due to his VFL form as a 25-26 year old what does making the VFL team of the year from just 14 games as a 20 year old mean?

My advice is go re watch the vfl GF and you will get your answer. Thats not a knock on dempsey..hes tracking ahead of where he should be for his age given he was very raw when drafted. But mannagh and him are very different cases.

They definitely can all play in the same side… but is that the absolute best mix for team balance?

I doubt it would be… we’d likely end up missing an inside mid or backline rotation with that mix.

Dempsey performed very well in the VFL last year… no doubt about it.

Mannagh performed much better… that’s how strong Mannagh was last year.

With him being 26 and drafted in where he was, that indicates that we want him for a specific reason/role and I doubt it’s to bide his time in the VFL.

Of course he will need to train well and look capable of that role when the trail
games come around.

If Mannagh looks the goods in the practice matches, I’ll be shocked if he isn’t playing R1.

If Dempsey outshines him to get into the team… I won’t complain.

Dempsey wasn’t b22 last year though, so for him + a new player similar to himself both to come into our b22 without losing a Miers, Close or Stengle for whatever reason… well I’d be shocked if it happened. Especially for r1 when we have a pretty full list to pick from atm.

Time will tell.

Last edited:
They definitely can all play in the same side… but is that the absolute best mix for team balance?

I doubt it would be… we’d likely end up missing an inside mid or backline rotation with that mix.

Dempsey performed very well in the VFL last year… no doubt about it.

Mannagh performed much better… that’s how strong Mannagh was last year.

With him being 26 and drafted in where he was, that indicates that we want him for a specific reason/role and I doubt it’s to bide his time in the VFL.

Of course he will need to train well and look capable of that role when the trail
games come around.

If Mannagh looks the goods in the practice matches, I’ll be shocked if he isn’t playing R1.

If Dempsey outshines him to get into the team… I won’t complain.

Dempsey wasn’t b22 last year though, so for him + a new player similar to himself both to come into our b22 without losing a Miers, Close or Stengle for whatever reason… well I’d be shocked if it happened. Especially for r1 when we have a pretty full list to pick from atm.

Time will tell.
It depends how well they track in the trail games.

It depends how well they track in the trail games.
Yeah I agree, and that’s why I’m hanging to see these guys on the edge playing their guts out next month.

We can only predict on what we have seen so far atm.

If guys come out and have BOG games in the trail matches, it can change things for sure.

If Neale kicks 4 or 5 goals and is clunking big marks inside 50… you’d like him to be in.

If Dempsey looks like he is playing better than Mannagh, you’d like to see Dempsey in before Mannagh.

Same kinda thing with MOC v Bowes v Touhy.

Does a Knevitt or Clark really shine.

There’s spots open imo and I’m looking forward to seeing who grabs them.

I would personally pick knevitt ahead of tuohy and i think you can make a case for dropping either bowes or moc. I think they will fast track clark. But your side is close to the mark.
Which Tuohy?
The tired, satiated post 22 GF version;
Or
The well rested, skilled, hungrier 24 version?
What we saw last year is not necessarily how he will start 24, and when fit, and fresh, is always a starter?

Which Tuohy?
The tired, satiated post 22 GF version;
Or
The well rested, skilled, hungrier 24 version?
What we saw last year is not necessarily how he will start 24, and when fit, and fresh, is always a starter?

34yo, 14 years of wear and tear in the AFL....... I'm thinking he's a tad closer to 'tired' than 'fresh'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, so why re-sign him?

We had a number of list changes last season, took 6 selections in the ND but ended up with only 1 pick in the top 30

Maybe the thought process was that our squad would be better with Tuohy re-signed for another 12 months than taking yet another late pick who's on the list for 2 years

My intel says they are very impressed with mannagh on the track its just a matter of managing his loads as he has never been in the system full time. If hes fit i expect him to start...dempsey could squeeze in as well but in that scenario either one of them is taking the smith wing spot unless someone else drops out as they dont both fit in the forward line.

Mannagh is a very different case to hardie due to where he was drafted and the circumstances behind it. He was drafted for a specific reason as stewart etc were.
Mannagh's tank for senior footy might be an issue big step up off one preseason 4 on the bench?would help him or is it still 3 and a sub but not medical,I can't keep up.

Good back-up
Because last years draft wasnt a great pool and thats probably why a few vets were kept an extra year
We had a number of list changes last season, took 6 selections in the ND but ended up with only 1 pick in the top 30

Maybe the thought process was that our squad would be better with Tuohy re-signed for another 12 months than taking yet another late pick who's on the list for 2 years
Agree with all that.
But a fit fresh Tuohy will be selected ahead of most others?
He will fatigue, and this is his last season, surely.
I wonder if he and his ilk were told that they are essentially back-up; that's quite possible. It'd be interesting being at the interviews for these guys post season, discussing their proposed roles for the following year.

We have so many players on the cusp of the 22.
The list runs very deep but that does not mean they are quality.

There will be many players who will not be given a shot as it is hard to fit them all in.

It will be very hard on the selection committee this year as most of the players are up and about. I think there will be an exodus of disappointed players at the end of the year. even though we have plenty of players retiring.

How many players do we have locked?

? - De Koning - Z. Guthrie
Stewart - J. Henry - ?
Holmes - C. Guthrie - ?
Miers - Cameron - Close
Stengle - Hawkins - O. Henry
? - Dangerfield - Atkins
Blicavs - Bruhn - ? - ?

6 spots, I’ve got for the below
MOC
Kolodjashnij
Duncan
Stanley
Mullin
Bowes
Duncan and Stanley will be locks. Maybe later in the year Conway could push Stanley out. Duncan is safe unless he has a larger drop off in form from 2023 to 2024 than some people thought he had last year.

I think two of MOC, Bowes and Mullin will make the cut and one of Dempsey or Mannagh will be in for team balance.

This is how I currently see it. No doubt some of the blokes in the ressies will force their way in through form or injury.

1707701142535.png

Note: Gary Rohan excluded as I believe he's injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back