Preview Round 1, 2024: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Saturday 16th March, 7:30PM AEDT *COLLARD, WILSON DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 62 71.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If Windhager gets up, you'd think he plays as the 7th defender.

If he doesn't, they'll have to get a bit creative. I'd probably go Byrnes as the 7th defender. Has got the smarts and work ethic to make it work I reckon. Garcia then probably would start in the 22. Going to be a young side.

Our current unavailables for this game, in order of importance.

Sinclair
Crouch
Battle
Howard
Dow
Jones
Clark
Windhager
Butler
Webster
Paton
Hayes
Heath
Van Es

Presumably some of the injured will come up for it but probably not a lot, and they will have missed practice matches so might be a bit rusty.

Going to be a tough one.
Bloody hell. And, is if by magic we once again have nearly a third of the list injured or under a cloud before the first bounce of the season proper. Pfffft......

Be disappointed if we don't pump these fossils.

Might need Sharman to do a job on Holmes or Stewart, they both could chop us up.

Cats midfield looks pedestrian, we should have first use.

We don't have the opportunity to make Gary Rohan look like Buddy Franklin again which is a bonus.

Keen to see a few new faces.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 9.47.57 am.png

Im thinking

Stocker - Cordy - Wilkie
NWM - Battle - Bonner (Schoenmaker)

Wood - Steele - Hill (Henry)
ROMA - Crouch - Sinclair (Ross)

Pou - Membrey - Byrnes
Higgins - King - Owens (D.Wilson)

Sub: Sharman/Garcia

Webster*
Howard*
H.Clark*
Z.Jones*
Windhaegar*

*Assume not fit... i reckon Sinclair plays, but a guess at best
The only change I’d make is Sharman instead of Schoenmaker, and I think Windhager will be available.

Be disappointed if we don't pump these fossils.

Might need Sharman to do a job on Holmes or Stewart, they both could chop us up.

Cats midfield looks pedestrian, we should have first use.

We don't have the opportunity to make Gary Rohan look like Buddy Franklin again which is a bonus.

Keen to see a few new faces.

View attachment 1919820

For the Cats that is a pretty full strength team. Probably one of the better ones that they have fielded in recent times. Guthrie a real loss for them.

However, unfortunately at this stage it looks like we will be at least several off our best, including our best player in Sinclair.
We very much need Crouch to play.

Last edited:
I don’t want Zak jones anywhere near this side. I don’t care if he is fit, no practice games and another interrupted pre season, more likely than not, he will break down and cost the team again. I would rather take the punt on someone like Garcia, who is at least match fit.

I don’t want Zak jones anywhere near this side. I don’t care if he is fit, no practice games and another interrupted pre season, more likely than not, he will break down and cost the team again. I would rather take the punt on someone like Garcia, who is at least match fit.
Agree. Put a line through him I reckon. Enough of 'he brings a point of difference'. He can't stay fit. Enough already.

There's only been a few games where he's broken down early.
If Garcia is the sub and Jones breaks down, then Garcia plays anyway.

I love the look of Garcia , but i'm not sure he'd have the impact of Jones at the top level yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Windhager gets up, you'd think he plays as the 7th defender.

If he doesn't, they'll have to get a bit creative. I'd probably go Byrnes as the 7th defender. Has got the smarts and work ethic to make it work I reckon. Garcia then probably would start in the 22. Going to be a young side.
Everyone knows I'm not a big fan of Ryan but i can put up with him playing up around the wing ( Just ) But you put him back to play as a dedicated defender and its not going to end well , he is not strong one on one in contests , Geelong has a few crafty smalls that would destroy him

Everyone knows I'm not a big fan of Ryan but i can put up with him playing up around the wing ( Just ) But you put him back to play as a dedicated defender and its not going to end well , he is not strong one on one in contests , Geelong has a few crafty smalls that would destroy him

Wilkie, Cordy, Battle, WM, Bonner, Stocker ,Hill All good in their role ( weakest link Cordy ).

Wood and Henry on the wings, ( others can rotate there as needed ).
If Sinclair comes in, he can play mid , otherwise Hill goes to the wing.

Wilkie, Cordy, Battle, WM, Bonner, Stocker ,Hill All good in their role ( weakest link Cordy ).

Wood and Henry on the wings, ( others can rotate there as needed ).
If Sinclair comes in, he can play mid , otherwise Hill goes to the wing.
I'm not sure what your post has got to do with what i said , maybe you need to scroll back and i hope they don't play Sincs , if he does his calf again through not being ready next time it will be 6-8 weeks

I'm not sure what your post has got to do with what i said , maybe you need to scroll back and i hope they don't play Sincs , if he does his calf again through not being ready next time it will be 6-8 weeks
I was kind of agreeing with you that we don't need to play Byrnes in defence.
If they play Sinclair because he is ready, then he shouldn't be injured again from not being ready.

I was kind of agreeing with you that we don't need to play Byrnes in defence.
If they play Sinclair because he is ready, then he shouldn't be injured again from not being ready.
Are you just after an argument , seriously . I CBF

Cordy was recruited as a stop gap and that's exactly what he is. Despite the hate for Doogs on here it's a bad game for him to miss. Can see Hawkins and Cameron giving Cordy the run around. Still got vivid memories of his sub par performance in the GWS final. Any team we field this year with Cordy in it won't be at full strength. Got to hope some of the young project backliners line Schoey, Hammer or Keeler come on quickly.

Cordy was recruited as a stop gap and that's exactly what he is. Despite the hate for Doogs on here it's a bad game for him to miss. Can see Hawkins and Cameron giving Cordy the run around. Still got vivid memories of his sub par performance in the GWS final. Any team we field this year with Cordy in it won't be at full strength. Got to hope some of the young project backliners line Schoey, Hammer or Keeler come on quickly.
Eh, I'm not losing any sleep over the Howard Cordy swap.

Both have significant flaws. Cordy will probably lose more contests than Howard and concede goals that way, but he probably will concede far fewer goals by direct turnovers, bad decisions and giving away dumb frees. Much of a muchness I reckon.

Expect a bit of team defence.
If they keep going to Hawkins, Battle and Wilkie will be 2up almost constantly.

Its Cameron on Wilkie that is probably more critical due to the mobility.

Makes it very important for the midfield to have a good day- GWS just got the ball out of the middle and stoppages too easy in the final last season, and kept pumping it forward, making the job too hard for our backs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back