Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Crows Coach Matthew Nicks has re-signed with the Club"

I was kinda hoping that was some kind of auto-correct typo, as in "resigned from" .

But, no :sadv1:.

The first half of last week's GCS loss had the Nicks stamp all over it:
--- odd selection decisions (misplaced trust in ineffective try-harders and underperforming seniors and think on this, if Sloane was available, Nicks woulda picked him and given him plenty of midfield time)
--- slow start, no fire/intensity until too late
--- NO game plan for wet weather footy
--- intense fightback for another close loss, as per 2023 from which Nicks has learned nothing.

Yeah, give that another 2 years :confusedv1:.
At the very least, the Club could have waited until after Round 5.
If the Crows are 0-5 or even 1-4 it's gonna look like a foolish, premature decision.

I think this was sorted a little while ago and so was inevitable regardless of Round 1

While Silvers comments in the pre season hinted at some more hoops for Nicks to jump through to get an extension every other comment and action from the club has been clear they are aligned with Nicks, rate what he has done and believe he is the man

I think many of the criticisms people have on this board for him are true of every single coach in the AFL without exception. Macrae was copping it on Collingwoods board last year for some around the edges selections and game plan stuff by supporters and they won the bloody flag!

Surely no one was actually surprised by this signing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think this was sorted a little while ago and so was inevitable regardless of Round 1

While Silvers comments in the pre season hinted at some more hoops for Nicks to jump through to get an extension every other comment and action from the club has been clear they are aligned with Nicks, rate what he has done and believe he is the man

I think many of the criticisms people have on this board for him are true of every single coach in the AFL without exception. Macrae was copping it on Collingwoods board last year for some around the edges selections and game plan stuff by supporters and they won the bloody flag!

Surely no one was actually surprised by this signing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
They could have aleast tried to make it look like it was performance based

All I am hearing is excuses, I'll shut up once there's actually some ******* runs on the board.

Objectively though if you strip everything back and look at it, we announced that we were planning to be out of Footy Park and up and going at Thebarton Oval by 2025 (according to our press release back in 2022). Here we are heading towards mid 2024 and we're running "another" community consultation and still years away from it even coming to fruition.

Clearly the club didn't do anywhere near the level of due diligence in relation to the complexities attached to Kings Reserve prior to committing to it and it's turned into a massive cluster F*.

You can polish this up as much as you want, but it reeks of incompetence. In Olsen's defense, it's not really his fault as the incompetence of this club pre-dated his arrival and will most likely post-date him too, it's just endemic of the club.

I know you have strong emotional ties to Olsen, but at the end of the day I just want the best candidates possible at the club and if you think that the AFC Board have been exemplary in their handling of Thebarton Oval thus far then I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Giving Nicks an extension at this current point is just another mistake on top of a pile of mistakes that this club has made.
Disagree.
As someone who is involved in engineering projects regularly, what is happening at Thebarton is pretty standard in terms of consultation, delays etc. Note that the number of consultations etc has nothing to do with us, they are regulatory requirements through the Development Act, council and state government requirements.
We'll be starting construction at some stage in 2024 I would think so it looks like timeframes aren't too far off those set in 2022. Again delays like this are fairly typical. I don't think they expected the amount of resistance they got, which is fair given the age and size of the trees that are being affected and the support given to AFC by Council, and the likely significant improvement of the area, however as usual the vocal minority always wins regardless of the merits of their case. There are far larger or more significant projects that have been impacted more significantly than ours.
I don't really care about Olsen enough either way tbh, but as far as I can see the HQ has been managed reasonably well.
Nicks extension, yes I wouldn't have done it until at least mid season, and even then only if we were entrenched in the 8. From what I saw last week, it's more likely we'll be bottom 4. Will be interesting.
Laying mistakes from previous administrations at Olsen's feet is a bit disingenuous. Since he's taken over, I can't really say there has been much done wrong. HQ I've covered above, coaching panel whilst unproven to get results is still significantly better than it was, club culture seems great and is possibly the main thing Nicks has done, off field administration also significantly improved (I would get rid of some/all of the board but the AFL control that for now), membership is lifting, financials are improving, recruiting/drafting has improved (couldn't have gotten worse), results are trending up.
I guess it's a wait & see on whether Nicks' extension is the right thing to do, personally hope it works out, it's a tough draw at the start of the year so this could bite them though.

I have a slightly different take.
If Nicks spent this year coaching for his survival, he would be more inclined to stick to conservative selections and no variation in game style.
He now has some certainty to allow for more flexible thinking - it is just a matter of seeing if he has the capacity to do that.
Well let's hope you are right, there is certainly evidence that he would be conservative without it

If Nicks spent this year coaching for his survival, he would be more inclined to stick to conservative selections and no variation in game style.
He now has some certainty to allow for more flexible thinking - it is just a matter of seeing if he has the capacity to do that.

If he has a contract bonus to make finals be will still coach conservatively

Winning takes care of everything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a rushed decision? There has been a four year body of work by this point.

The club hierarchy would be 100% certain right now if Nicks - and his vision - would be what they want. Or if it's time to move on, and if the club was like "oh we'll see how he goes in 2024 to make a decision", he should have been sacked at the end of 2023 as we're just wasting time. Delaying really doesn't achieve anything.
Then why not extend him last year. What could they have possibly seen in the last couple of months that has made them think "* it, let's give him two more"? There has been no trigger to sign him, it's all been stage managed. Our clubs ongoing greatest "strength".

Last edited:
In breaking news leopards dont change their spots

It depends on the KPIs he's been given. If it's "develop the kids" I agree, if it's "make finals" we are cooked.

Coaches Association got that bumped up to 12 months recently.
Tit's only for AFL-assisted clubs like Suns and St Kilda.

Back