Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Huh ?? ....why would Nicks now be more inclined to have flexible thinking ....surely the best time for that was at the beginning of his coaching tenure ?

Initially people were saying Nicks was too negative / defensive .....now, last year, the best offensive team in the League

Surely he has already evolved & realising his coaching vision, once he got more cattle & experience into them
Even though we were best offensive team, there seemed to be a prevalent feeling that Nicks was too inclined to go back to the well with older players, and also not be proactive during games. We are still not a “finished product” as a contender.
I hope he takes the chance to look beyond just this year.

We're not even getting 2 actual ovals now at Thebarton, so trying to justify Thebarton on the basis of it providing two ovals no longer has any validity.
Agree we aren’t until it increases a bit when South Rd is finished. But you’re complaining about it when there was no viable options anywhere to get us two ovals. What we will be getting is a state of the art facility on a new oval reasonably close to the city.

If it’s delayed a bit but we still get it, what’s your complaint? That’ it’s taken longer? If that’s the case save your complaints for the tree huggers, the council and your Labor State government, not Olsen who you have a paranoia about because he showed he was good at his role whilst at the SANFL.

I said this during the Pyke days - motivation is on the senior coach. He's the leader of leaders.

Even the most motivational coach in the AFL can't make every player 100% motivated 100% of the time, granted. However, to only start being competitive three quarters of the way through the fourth quarter is not AFL standard motivation.
Is the motivation a problem or is it on the coaches who are too slow to act in the box when they see things start to turn against them?

We certainly weren't blown out of the water in the 1st quarter last week, but it then took another 45-50 odd minutes from there before we managed to switch things up a bit and turn the game back to our advantage.

I have a slightly different take.
If Nicks spent this year coaching for his survival, he would be more inclined to stick to conservative selections and no variation in game style.
He now has some certainty to allow for more flexible thinking - it is just a matter of seeing if he has the capacity to do that.
+
If he has a contract bonus to make finals be will still coach conservatively
If I had been on the Board, interviewing Nicks about a Contract extension I would have asked him:
"Mate, if you keep doing what you're doing, can the Crows win a Flag this year?".
If Nicks said YES, or "Maybe not this year, but close and 2025 we'll be a great chance", or similar wishy-washy guff, I'd push for his dismissal.

What I'd be looking for is along these lines:
"Well, I've identified these mistakes [lists them] and will do X, Y and Z differently/better. This is my plan.
I want the team to do A, B, C better/differently as well.
I want us also to do the good things we're doing even better. This is how.
IF we can make those changes with unity of purpose and have some luck with injuries during the season, I am striving for us to
--- make the Finals (at least Top-4) and then
--- do all that we can to make the GF and win it
".

Which of those 2 options do you reckon we have? :sneaky:

Is the motivation a problem or is it on the coaches who are too slow to act in the box when they see things start to turn against them?

We certainly weren't blown out of the water in the 1st quarter last week, but it then took another 45-50 odd minutes from there before we managed to switch things up a bit and turn the game back to our advantage.
And it was deep in the last qtr when we started to take the game on rather than stop start mark kick. Even then we were still going down the wings than through the guts. That Laird kick to touch was dumb and rightly penalised for deliberate and being stupid.

Surely you're not describing last year as mediocre?
Yes, Froggy did. I'd say close-to-a-pass but no cigar.
11 wins/ 12 losses (yes, I know about the Sydney game) and 10th. spot are the cold, hard facts.
Unjust losses don't count.
Nearly-wins don't count.

11/23 is 47.8%.

In any job-for-money, if I did only 47.8% of the tasks assigned to me, I'd be sacked.
"Mediocre" is an overstatement.

Yes, Froggy did. I'd say close-to-a-pass but no cigar.
11 wins/ 12 losses (yes, I know about the Sydney game) and 10th. spot are the cold, hard facts.
Unjust losses don't count.
Nearly-wins don't count.

11/23 is 47.8%.

In any job-for-money, if I did only 47.8% of the tasks assigned to me, I'd be sacked.
"Mediocre" is an overstatement.

By most rational observers we were ahead of schedule last year. I was extremely optimistic with what I saw going into this season.

Not Olsen who you have a paranoia about because he showed he was good at his role whilst at the SANFL.

hahahaha man you come up with some absolute rubbish sometimes

I never said he was good at this role at the SANFL, my issue is that we signed some abhorrent deals financially with the SANFL when he was running them.

Deals that have and still continue to hamstrung us financially and I questioned his ability to not have a conflict of interest with the SANFL.

He can't have been that great at his job because Port were able to get the same outcomes at a far better result financially for their club

Last edited:
Just to be clear

I wasn't laying past mistakes at Olsen's feet, I was saying that the club has been subpar pre Olsen and will more than likely still be post Olsen. That's not a John Olsen issue, it's an AFC issue.

I'm not saying that the delays are the club's fault per se, but more that I suspect the Crows jumped into and committed to Thebarton Oval seemingly without doing their due diligence in regards to Kings Reserve. This has now created a huge delay and also had an significant impact in terms of the size of the second oval and potentially there's other negative flow on effects as well.

Also let's not forget that the costing has blown out from $75 million to over $100 million before construction has even been started.

Each to their own, but I don't think it's been that well handled in my opinion.
All good
I think there is a good chance of a second oval one the T2D roadworks are finished
Might depend on whether we want it or can pay for it by then

By most rational observers we were ahead of schedule last year. I was extremely optimistic with what I saw going into this season....
... until last week, which was absolutely more of the same?
Indifferent, weak garbage followed by 15-20 minutes of intense footy for a close loss.

I was kinda hopeful (saw some good signs) but not optimistic (Nicks is Coach), then the Murray injury, then Thilthorpe, then last week's selection (eg the irrational faith in Sholl and Murphy) and another loss.

Btw, "ahead of" what schedule, please?
I don't remember Nicks or the Club announcing a timeline for a Flag.

I'm actually surprised a bit the admin did it too because they've primed themselves to look absolutely foolish in the next month if we're 0-5 or 1-4.
1-4 is the best case scenario IMO as well, especially more so if we lose tonight.

Im not surprised the Club resigned him for another 2 years. If/when we are 1-4 or 0-5 its a lot harder to pull it off. :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well supposedly Sanderson got paid out $1.2m on the final year of his contract.

We are ****ed as a football club.

Nicks needs to land a flag.
Land a flag? Im not even sure we can make the 8 under Nicks.

... until last week, which was absolutely more of the same?
Indifferent, weak garbage followed by 15-20 minutes of intense footy for a close loss.

I was kinda hopeful (saw some good signs) but not optimistic (Nicks is Coach), then the Murray injury, then Thilthorpe, then last week's selection (eg the irrational faith in Sholl and Murphy) and another loss.

Btw, "ahead of" what schedule, please?
I don't remember Nicks or the Club announcing a timeline for a Flag.

It was round 1, having just lost RT and Walker prior to the game..... Your going to have a culinary if you are this wound up one game into the season mate.

* me some people in here need a bit of perspective.... Yes this decision has probably been rushed but all the "the club is rotten to the core" stuff being floated again sounds as if we are in 2018/2019 again.

Pre season everyone is up and about, yes last week was s**t but jesus just relax. Do I think Nick's is an elite coach, no I don't yet. But it's also likely we have resigned him with very specific caveats that protect us against any massive issues down the line.

Would you like a hug? You seem angry.

..... Your going to have a culinary if you are this wound up one game into the season mate.
Quite possibly! The Crows were certainly forked, last week.
Knifed by those injuries and spoon-fed GCS with poor clearance kicks. Served the game up to GCS on a platter etc etc but that's enough pun-ishment for now ... :sneaky:

hahahaha man you come up with some absolute rubbish sometimes

I never said he was good at this role at the SANFL, my issue is that we signed some abhorrent deals financially with the SANFL when he was running them.

Deals that have and still continue to hamstrung us financially and I questioned his ability to not have a conflict of interest with the SANFL.

He can't have been that great at his job because Port were able to get the same outcomes at a far better result financially for their club
Reread what you wrote.

Whilst at the SANFL he entered into financial arrangements with the Crows that advantaged the SANFL and hurt us.

Port were broke, smart business by him to get what he could from Port and screw us.

Hence the good at his job jibe, you’re whinge is whilst at the SANFL he favoured the SANFL at our detriment.

Seriously I can’t believe that’s your issue.

What’s the club going to do if they miss finals this year and next year?

He’ll still be there in 2026 for the last year of his contract?
No, it means that in 2026 we'll be paying for one-and-a-half Coaches.
The new Coach and Nicks' 6-month payout (IF he lasts to end 2025).

The fact that Nicks is potentially set to become our longest serving coach despite only having a winning percentage of 34% is laughable.

Between this and the Thebarton debacle, can anyone actually give me some confidence that Olsen and the rest of the AFC board actually know what they're doing.
Well, none of them has undertaken a rebuild like him and some of others clubs who have undertaken similar rebuild still haven't seen the light with a revolving door of senior coach. Clearly he can coach but his loyalty to senior players with their selection will be tested in the next few year as the mistake which are costing games are from them.

Leaving the signing until the end of one match is baffling, I can only think those boofheads in charge of marketing , honestly thought a win was on the cards against GC and the announcement would be a bit of a theatrical moment prior to the Geelong game.

Ire the 2 x Years , I don’t envy Nicks one iota with the list we have , he’s 2 yrs in smack in the middle of no mans land.

The way I see it , we have 2 what I would describe as elite ( not alway’s consistent, though compared to our list - elite) Rankine & Dawson, then we have Tex - confirmed “elite” , yet he’s our Joe Biden - too old , yet miles above any alternative.

From here , I think we have 9 players who have yet to hit their ceiling, (by guernsey number ).

7 - Riley Thilthorpe ( 2 - 3 yrs away )
8 - Josh Rachele ( yeah/nah/yeah/nah- 1 month -2 yrs ) who knows ??
10 -Luke Pedlar - classic old school footballer - 1 - 2yrs
14 -Jake Soligo - Leadership material - ( above a few current ones ) - 6 months - 2 yrs
16- Max Michalanney - from now - 7 yrs - ( Ben’s footy muse has jumped ship)
20- Mitch Hinge - ( 1 x yr - 100% genuine)
24 -Josh Worrell ( heart and soul - future leader ) 2 x yrs
28- Nick Murray ( Never say Die - 1 - 2 yr )

( Harry was my 9th player though i removed him ) :)

From what I can see , everyone else on the current playing list has already reached their ceiling and they will (mostly) only regress in the next 2 years.

( I’ve not seen enough of Nanks/ Keane etc as yet, nor any of our reserves to add to the above , though I look forward to the updates through out the year from other posters).

This leaves us with 10 ( 11 with Tex ) , who will be our backbone.

The only way Nicks will survive this period is to be like young Jack & sell the cows to buy the magic beans ..

As we know that won’t happen - so poor Ol Nicksy is doomed as half the cows are happy getting fat grazing without any repercussions.

Last edited:
Leaving the signing until the end of one match is baffling, I can only think those boofheads in charge of marketing , honestly thought a win was on the cards against GC and the announcement would be a bit of a theatrical moment prior to the Geelong game.

Ire the 2 x Years , I don’t envy Nicks one iota with the list we have , he’s 2 yrs in smack in the middle of no mans land.

The way I see it , we have 2 what I would describe as elite ( not alway’s consistent, though compared to our list - elite) Rankine & Dawson, then we have Tex - confirmed “elite” , yet he’s our Joe Biden - too old , yet miles above any alternative.

From here , I think we have 9 players who have yet to hit their ceiling, (by guernsey number ).

7 - Riley Thilthorpe ( 2 - 3 yrs away )
8 - Josh Rachele ( yeah/nah/yeah/nah- 1 month -2 yrs ) who knows ??
10 -Luke Pedlar - classic old school footballer - 1 - 2yrs
14 -Jake Soligo - Leadership material - ( above a few current ones ) - 6 months - 2 yrs
16- Max Michalanney - from now - 7 yrs - ( Ben’s footy muse has jumped ship)
20- Mitch Hinge - ( 1 x yr - 100% genuine)
24 -Josh Worrell ( heart and soul - future leader ) 2 x yrs
28- Nick Murray ( Never say Die - 1 - 2 yr )

From what I can see , everyone else on the current playing list has already reached their ceiling and they will (mostly) only regress in the next 2 years.

( I’ve not seen enough of Nanks/ Keane etc as yet, nor any of our reserves to add to the above , though I look forward to the updates through out the year from other posters).

This leaves us with 10 ( 11 with Tex ) , who will be our backbone.

The only way Nicks will survive this period is to be like young Jack & sell the cows to buy the magic beans ..

As we know that won’t happen - so poor Ol Nicksy is doomed as half the cows are happy getting fat grazing without any repercussions.
I think agreement wasn’t reached until after the game as he was hanging out for 3 years but that loss weakened his bargaining power and with some tough games he’s tried to secure his future.

Back