Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My take on the current centre bounce fiasco.

Reeves 2023 gave our mids an arm chair ride at centre bounces alot of the time.

Reeves 2024 is not. Why?

-He is out of form/fitness
-The new ruck rules (mentioned by the coach)
-The opposition have put more time into negating his influence.
- He has just struck 2 great ruckman at peak form/fitness.

Probably a combination.

Whatever the reason it has exposed our midfield as being decidedly average. Obviously a fit Day would make a difference.

This week against a Dangerless cats is surely a chance for improvement.

Coming down from Syd for Easter Monday, so hoping we can turn the tide.

I'm thinking we need some more timber in the back, so probably want to try Phillips (or Serong), and maybe move Amon up to the wing. Also frees up Sic to do Sic things.

Would also like some midfield "tinkering" as opposed to a complete gutting. Would love to see HH live (selfish reasons also). Bring him. Maybe Ward a rest? Or one of Bruest/Gunners and play some musical chairs?

Positives then be:
  • Maybe get to see Hustwaite live and possibly Philips debut!
  • Hopefully get a midfield response this week, at the perfect time
  • Wiz to convert more accurately now the monkey is off his back
  • Get to see Ginni in person in our colours against the real enemy (ideally we win the game from a Ginni head high free right in front of goal in the last 10 seconds... or just obliterate them. not fussy, i'll take either)
  • Big fat spread of goal kickers - now that we've blown away the inaccuracy cobwebs

In: Huswaite, Morrison
Out: Nash, Maginness

i think Hustwaite will give us more in the midfield than Nash currently, i think Morrison will gives us more than Finn in the team in general currently, unless we fix our midfield issues we have no chance, but i expect the coaching group to address the failing midfield... maybe other moves are needed, depending on what the coaches are looking to change?

Sam mentioned in his post game presser that we lacked in flair and creativity to get through Melbourne’s defensive structures. I wonder if we bring in Phillips so that the likes of Sic and Scrim can be a bit more offensively inclined?

Also think we need to bring in Huss to reward form and to get a different look in the middle.

In: Phillips, Hustwaite
Out: Gunston, Maginness
Agreed. These are the changes IMO

Best option for sub is a running player to replace a tall player.

Let Chol play like the beast he is for 3 quarters then replace him with a Morrison or Butler. Someone who can get 8+ possessions and has goal sense.

That's the best formula I reckon.
Play Ramsden. And then look to sub Reeves/Ramsden with Butler/Morrison.

I would like to see Butler back-up his VFL performance with a few more at that level prior to bringing him into the AFL team. I think it'd be good for him to enjoy a decent run of form at vfl level getting a call up.

Not sure a volatile ruck setup will help us, so Reeves stays unless the coaches are committed to giving Meek a 3-4 game run, which I don't think they're prepared to do just yet. Similar to Butler, just backing up his performances more frequently would be good.

Would love to see HH get a run, even if it is as starting sub.

Amon moving back is a bit of a cop-out for mine - going back is usually a tool used to free up players who are underperforming fwd of the ball, so he should be playing wing imo. If that opens a spot for Seamus down back then that is great.

It was blindingly obvious that Gibbo and Stratts were both done in their final years - kudos to Gibbo for calling it early. It looks the same for Gunners to me as well now. I don't need to see more evidence.

I liked that although he missed his first shot, Weddle went back and nailed the second one. He has a great tank and shown some strong marking traits - including pack marking.
Whilst i'm cautious of throwing the magnets around too much, I think he's a great option as a starting half-fwd who can get up the ground and then beat his man back to the F50 and clunk some marks.

I don't mind the idea of Finn on Stewart tbh. Unless it's a hard tag, Stewart will choose his opponent (ie Watson), but Stewart will probably do this anyway and someone else will bob up and be the loose back, such as Holmes.

I wasn't as underwhelmed by Finn's game on the weekend as some others (ditto Ward & Breust), particularly with the lack of defensive intent we saw midfield, but someone's gotta go to get HH in, and I think Nash and the others provide more at this point.

HH in for Gunners and S. Mitchell in for Maginness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to be fair go back and read this respective thread from last week and i recall quite a few people saying Gunston was the "perfect sub"

I like the idea of him being a sub. I think I'm in the minority here.

The sub doesn't have to be someone fast - just someone that could have an impact. IMO Gunston could play behind the ball or, ideally, stretch tired defences playing forward. Shame he is not looking too mobile at the moment.

Are we going to kick the ball straight to Tom Stewart while our forwards stand there watching him mark unopposed? Seems to be all the rage these days. Our forward line is non-existent, they have Hawkins and Cameron and I'm not sure how we can prevent them kicking a winning score.
We’re actually 4th in the league for marks inside 50.

We’re 2nd in the league for marks inside 50 per inside 50.

We start halving the centre bounces and the scoreboard should tick over.

Would like to see a major focus on contested possession this week. Was the catalyst behind our win against them in 2022. Can get as caught up as we like in tactics but there is plenty of guys playing on Monday that have got the job done for us against this mob before.

How is Serong tracking at BH is he ready to come in with Phillips to help our backline?.

I’d also like to see Gunston and maginness dropped, Ramsden and Hustwaite to come in.

Last edited:
Always find it amazing how quick some players people turn on.

Nash has had 2 poor games and there are many calls for him to be dropped. Newcombe has had 2 even worse games and nothing

Last edited:
Phillips in which will make our defence reasonably tall. Could not help but think Weddle could become our CHF down the track as well. Could play anywhere mind you. Went to Box Hill game and Meek should come in for Reeves and Bodie Ryan looked so good. Remember McCabe will be back at some point and defence could look pretty solid next year. I am pretty upbeat where the list is at with lots of money in the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back