Preview Round 3, 2024: Hawthorn v Geelong, 1st April 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not saying it needs to be this week, but Moore to the midfield, Hardwick to the forward line and Seamus into defence is something I'd like to see trialled.

My take on the current centre bounce fiasco.

Reeves 2023 gave our mids an arm chair ride at centre bounces alot of the time.

Reeves 2024 is not. Why?

-He is out of form/fitness
-The new ruck rules (mentioned by the coach)
-The opposition have put more time into negating his influence.
- He has just struck 2 great ruckman at peak form/fitness.

Probably a combination.

Whatever the reason it has exposed our midfield as being decidedly average. Obviously a fit Day would make a difference.

This week against a Dangerless cats is surely a chance for improvement.
Our mids are getting first touch more often than not so far this year. They then fumble or otherwise lose it. Our stoppage setup is failing somehow. Either it’s poor or the mids are being bodied. I’m not sure which.

Idea… kick the ball to Stewart. Punt it on his head with hang time. Have Chol 5 meters off him and launch.

Use Stewart as the conduit. Have Gunston not trying to outmark him but to flick it back.
Would personally be trying not to kick the ball to Stewart… Unless you are insinuating Chol gives him the Steven May treatment…

From an optimistic viewpoint you could (almost) argue that our form this year hasn't been that terrible.

We kicked ourselves out of the game against the Dons but probably had the general run of play.

We mucked up the first quarter against the Dees with that chip chip malarkey in the first quarter but second and third quarters we were right in the contest (last one we got blown away).

I would think that if the coaching panel don't try and get too cute and we pick the most conventional line up possible (Phillips down back to give Sicily more freedom to do his thing, Amon back to the wing, Hardwick to start down back, a more conventional choice for sub, etc) and a balanced game plan we are in with a shot.

Although I did say that last week and look what happened!

Really its a massive game for the club this Monday. If they put in a poor effort it will affect the crowds for the rest of the year (we are a fickle bunch of supporters). But if they can somehow manage a win and get some excitement going then it will be a real boost for the whole club and supporter base.

I am quite surprised by the response to the first qtr this week. Yes it was s**t. Take a step back, there was a reason behind it and a purpose. The fact that we couldn't execute properly means we are not mature enough yet. That doesn't mean we don't try this in the future. If you don't try stuff in season, then how are you going to improve.

If you don't try stuff when you are rebuilding, then when do you? Having the same game style can be easily countered and sure is by the mature teams. We need to be flexible and adapt. It's obvious we are not there yet but we had to try. It didn't work for a multitude of reasons one of which was our pressure around the ground. Onwards and upwards. We are trying stuff every week it's just that ppl are oblivious to it.

I am quite surprised by the response to the first qtr this week. Yes it was s**t. Take a step back, there was a reason behind it and a purpose. The fact that we couldn't execute properly means we are not mature enough yet. That doesn't mean we don't try this in the future. If you don't try stuff in season, then how are you going to improve.

If you don't try stuff when you are rebuilding, then when do you? Having the same game style can be easily countered and sure is by the mature teams. We need to be flexible and adapt. It's obvious we are not there yet but we had to try. It didn't work for a multitude of reasons one of which was our pressure around the ground. Onwards and upwards. We are trying stuff every week it's just that ppl are oblivious to it.
Melbourne probably are the best team in the AFL when it comes to defensive structure. It was worth trying something. I did like Buckley's summation - Hawthorn are "trying to work out how to take the next step"

Hawthorn's more immediate problem is how easily they are getting beaten in centre clearances. This is from Fox Footy;

Screen Shot 2024-03-26 at 1.07.03 pm.png

Essendon scored 41 more from clearances and won by 24 points.

Melbourne scored 52 more from clearances and won by 55 points.

Hawthorn were not going to win the Melbourne game but the smashing in the middle in the Essendon game was clearly the difference (+bad kicking for goal).

Midfield has to be tidied up.

That's all fair enough, but both last qtr fade outs aren't trying out stuff.
It's either a terrible fitness base or a terrible will to keep going and have a crack.
I'll be stunned if we don't come out firing this week and beat these milk drinkers.

That's all fair enough, but both last qtr fade outs aren't trying out stuff.
It's either a terrible fitness base or a terrible will to keep going and have a crack.
I'll be stunned if we don't come out firing this week and beat these milk drinkers.
Absolutely the last qtr in both games were not acceptable just like the performance of our mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nathan Buckley was a great voice of reason on this

Melbourne probably are the best team in the AFL when it comes to defensive structure. It was worth trying something. I did like Buckley's summation - Hawthorn are "trying to work out how to take the next step"

Hawthorn's more immediate problem is how easily they are getting beaten in centre clearances. This is from Fox Footy;

View attachment 1939875

Essendon scored 41 more from clearances and won by 24 points.

Melbourne scored 52 more from clearances and won by 55 points.

Hawthorn were not going to win the Melbourne game but the smashing in the middle in the Essendon game was clearly the difference (+bad kicking for goal).

Midfield has to be tidied up.
I wish that these sorts of stats were more easily available to us plebs.

They are nowhere to be found.

Instead we have to sit and watch numerous football shows in the hope that a skerrick of information will be shared before they move onto the next game.

There nowhere to be found.

Instead we have to sit and watch numerous football shows in the hope that a skerrick of information will be shared before they move onto the next game.
watch numerous shows of "THEY'RE JUST NOT TOUGH ENOUGH" or "THEY'RE NOT TRYING" or "COURAGE"

They're Champion Data stats. All clubs obviously have them, so do the media. But as we know, they selectively report.

Hawks fans are pretty lucky they were talking about the Hawks in detail at all. I was pleasantly surprised.

But these stats will tell you how bad our midfield has been so far: rankings:
  • centre clearances- 18th
  • stoppage clearances - 16th
  • tackles - 16th
  • contested ball - 16th
  • hit outs - 13th - which shows you a 211cm ruckman has been no advantage so far this year.

Those stats don't lie. And also explain a lack of desire to hunt the ball.

Midfield changes need to be made at selection. They're an appalling set of numbers from that group. No excuses.

watch numerous shows of "THEY'RE JUST NOT TOUGH ENOUGH" or "THEY'RE NOT TRYING" or "COURAGE"
We’ve got more than a couple of posters who run with that level of insight in the post match. 😂

Reminiscent of when Clarko had us chip it around as a learning experience, in an attempt to embed a gameplan. That cost us one (or two?) games from memory, as it wasn't about the result, but about tuning the game plan.

However I feel that this is something we'd do at the end of the match whilst holding a lead - and not try it first thing out the gate. Either way so long as Mitchell was able to learn from it then so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back