News AFL Drugs Claims Bombshell

Remove this Banner Ad

How does this work though? Do the doctors go along with the lie about a player being out with an injury? Surely that’s a breach of trust between the doctor and club for the doctor to support the lie.

I don't think doctors could lie, it would just have to be something like "unable to play due to unspecified reason".

Just like how they can't just make up anything they like on a medical certificate

It'd then be up to the club to come up with the fake injury they want to use

Alcohol use is very much frowned upon in clubland.
As someone who has dablled in other stuff.... I fall to see how cocaine use doesn't negatively impact performance. It effects sleep, it drains you mentally and quite is cut with a load of other s**t.

Whilst I agree there are players using it, to me it's absurd to suggest players are doing lines and it doesn't negatively impact there performance

Steele Sidebum "managed" :eek:

THURSDAY, MARCH 28

Brisbane v Collingwood at the Gabba, 6.30pm AEST

BRISBANE

In:
J.Payne, L.Neale, D.Fort
Out: D.Gardiner (omitted), J.Lyons (omitted), C.McKenna (hamstring)

R1 sub: Kai Lohmann

COLLINGWOOD

In:
W.Hoskin-Elliott, J.Noble
Out: O.Markov (omitted), S.Sidebottom (managed)

Last week's sub:
Fin Macrae
Sidebottom being managed is believable if you look at his form.

... but this AFL policy now makes us suspicious of all late injured players which is unfair on those who are genuine.

And where did you mention that you weren’t ok if you’d been driving on the road? You said conclusively that if you’re on your own private property they can’t breath test you. You didn’t qualify it like you should have.

I also didn’t say anything about having just returned from climbing Everest. All you get to infer from my post is what the words state in the context they were stated. I responded direct to Froggy’s post where the scenario was that the car had not been driven on a public road but was in a private carpark. I know getting called out on your earlier stupid questions hit a nerve, but you’ll get over it.

I also didn’t say anything about having just returned from climbing Everest. All you get to infer from my post is what the words state in the context they were stated. I responded direct to Froggy’s post where the scenario was that the car had not been driven on a public road but was in a private carpark. I know getting called out on your earlier stupid questions hit a nerve, but you’ll get over it.
Nice try mate

I think this is a whole lot of meh.

Not really, it's putting a microscope on how scripted the AFL are trying to make the sport. They are essentially trying to circumvent there own rules in order to ensure certain players can take the field.

How is that not ****ed?

As someone who has dablled in other stuff.... I fall to see how cocaine use doesn't negatively impact performance. It effects sleep, it drains you mentally and quite is cut with a load of other s**t.

Whilst I agree there are players using it, to me it's absurd to suggest players are doing lines and it doesn't negatively impact there performance
You have a good point.

It's not ideal, but better than the empty calories in alcohol.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL has been conducting its own drug tests since 2005 and will continue to keep results secret​

Not only has the AFL conceded it does its own drug testing on players, the league and its chief medical officer have declared it’s important.

The president of the AFL’s doctor’s association has called accusations players had been encouraged to fake injuries to avoid positive match-day drug tests as “simply not true”.
It comes as the AFL maintained it was “unapologetic” about club doctors taking steps to prevent players who test positive to illicit substance from playing or training after an admission weekly testing has been taking place for “some time”.

But in its response to claims made in federal parliament on Tuesday by federal MP Andrew Wilkie, a league statement didn’t address accusations doctors urged players who tested positive to fake injuries.

The shock claims caught several coaches by surprise.

A signed statement from former Melbourne doctor Zeeshan Arain claimed that the AFL conducted illicit drug tests to help players avoid being detected on game days and then advised them to fake injuries to keep coaches in the dark.

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said his club would be seeking answers but both he and Essendon counterpart Brad Scott said the league’s medical policy was something the players and the league conducted.

But Dr Barry Rigby, the doctor’s association president, hit back declaring the AFL’s medical model was” based on trust and confidentiality between the player and club doctor” and dismissed suggestions of any cover-ups.

“The club doctors’ prime responsibility is, and always will be, the health and wellbeing of the athlete,” he said.

“The suggestion that this unique privilege has been somehow manipulated is simply not true. Such comments are disappointing, and represent a distortion of a process aimed at supporting player welfare.
The AFL Doctors Association supports the AFL’s Illicit Drugs Policy, which aims to deter use while providing avenues for education and treatment. This approach aligns with our ethos of empathy and support.

“We maintain transparent communication with the AFL, ensuring that any substance use concerns are managed with discretion and in accordance with medical ethics, the AFL’s guidelines, and WADA’s code.”

In it’s response on Wednesday, the AFL confirmed it conducted its own testing outside of that done by Sport Integrity Australia as part of a drug policy that “specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focused on player health and wellbeing”.

The league supported the model that prevented players from playing or training “knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance” despite that knowledge being kept from club officials other than doctors.

“The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention,” the statement said.

“It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

“Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL’s illicit drug policy medical model and have been for some time.

“Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player’s system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctor’s consulting rooms.

“If the test shows a substance is still in the player’s system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

“It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).”
They framed that well....

Pretty busy morning with all the lawyers at VFL House coming up with that.

AFL has been conducting its own drug tests since 2005 and will continue to keep results secret​

Not only has the AFL conceded it does its own drug testing on players, the league and its chief medical officer have declared it’s important.

The president of the AFL’s doctor’s association has called accusations players had been encouraged to fake injuries to avoid positive match-day drug tests as “simply not true”.
It comes as the AFL maintained it was “unapologetic” about club doctors taking steps to prevent players who test positive to illicit substance from playing or training after an admission weekly testing has been taking place for “some time”.

But in its response to claims made in federal parliament on Tuesday by federal MP Andrew Wilkie, a league statement didn’t address accusations doctors urged players who tested positive to fake injuries.

The shock claims caught several coaches by surprise.

A signed statement from former Melbourne doctor Zeeshan Arain claimed that the AFL conducted illicit drug tests to help players avoid being detected on game days and then advised them to fake injuries to keep coaches in the dark.

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin said his club would be seeking answers but both he and Essendon counterpart Brad Scott said the league’s medical policy was something the players and the league conducted.

But Dr Barry Rigby, the doctor’s association president, hit back declaring the AFL’s medical model was” based on trust and confidentiality between the player and club doctor” and dismissed suggestions of any cover-ups.

“The club doctors’ prime responsibility is, and always will be, the health and wellbeing of the athlete,” he said.

“The suggestion that this unique privilege has been somehow manipulated is simply not true. Such comments are disappointing, and represent a distortion of a process aimed at supporting player welfare.
The AFL Doctors Association supports the AFL’s Illicit Drugs Policy, which aims to deter use while providing avenues for education and treatment. This approach aligns with our ethos of empathy and support.

“We maintain transparent communication with the AFL, ensuring that any substance use concerns are managed with discretion and in accordance with medical ethics, the AFL’s guidelines, and WADA’s code.”

In it’s response on Wednesday, the AFL confirmed it conducted its own testing outside of that done by Sport Integrity Australia as part of a drug policy that “specifically deals with the use of illicit substances out of competition and is focused on player health and wellbeing”.

The league supported the model that prevented players from playing or training “knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance” despite that knowledge being kept from club officials other than doctors.

“The policy seeks to reduce substance use and drug-related harms for AFL players and aims to inform and rehabilitate players through education and intervention,” the statement said.

“It exists alongside and in addition to the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code which covers prohibited substances including some illicit substances in competition as prescribed by the WADA prohibited list.

“Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL’s illicit drug policy medical model and have been for some time.

“Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player’s system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctor’s consulting rooms.

“If the test shows a substance is still in the player’s system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

“It is absolutely imperative that no doctor or club official should ever allow or encourage a player to take the field knowing they have recently taken an illicit substance that may be harmful to their health and/or may be deemed performance-enhancing (as many illicit substances are on match day).”

So if it's about player welfare (genuinely honorable) then they would test all year round? If im reading it right, this duty of care only only matters ahead of a formal test?

So what’s a strike?
Have they just not been recording strikes?
Code words like "managed", "soreness", "back spasms," "hamstring awareness" for missing less than one game.

Can now be considered negative non match day drug test.

No strike though.

I’d say the anti-doping organisations and the government itself might have views on this.

Effectively the AFL is saying we are running a scheme to thwart yours.

If you test positive, we will not sanction you and we will remove you from the risk of testing by external agencies

I would imagine this has come as news to those agencies.

I would also like to see what precisely the AFL’s illicit substance policy actually says. What the wording is versus the practice that the AFL says is routine

Going to be interesting to see that WADA do & whether change will be enforced on the AFL with a threat by the Government to remove their funding.

I don't expect WADA will be happy that the AFL's policy deliberately minimises the impact of WADA's testing...

Dillon is only annoyed that their clandestine policy to minimise the number of players caught by WADA is out in the open... given he doesn't think it was in our interest to know at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back