Opinion North Melbourne Priority Picks Part 2 - 2023/2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats.

You are likely the first person of the next 3 years that might refer to any LDU trade or compo as a PP.

Just like McKay.

Think you’ve just combined my two comments into one their chief. LDU wasn’t mentioned in my priority pick comment. That was seperate. I have no idea what you are on about tbh.

I didn't realise one of the best mids in the league, who is still contracted until 2025, is nothing.

But anyway.

What did you pay for Kelly again?

I just looked it up - Pick 14,18,24,33.
Huh? Im talking about you wanting Dougal Howard. He would waltz into your team

No idea what LDU is worth since its 100% depdendant on where St Kilda finish. If its a top 5 pick i suspect you take it and move on. If St Kilda finish say 7th then yeah its 1st rounder + 2nd rounder + Howard

Huh? Im talking about you wanting Dougal Howard. He would waltz into your team

No idea what LDU is worth since its 100% depdendant on where St Kilda finish. If its a top 5 pick i suspect you take it and move on. If St Kilda finish say 7th then yeah its 1st rounder + 2nd rounder + Howard

How do St Kilda engineer a top 5 pick in 2024? They would have to finish in the bottom 4.

It's not possible.

Are you forgetting Ashcroft, Lombard and a few others exist in this draft?

We have multiple options here.

The other scenario to your option is just waiting until 2025 and likely obtaining a top 2-3 pick for him.

How do you put a price on having LDU in the side for 2025? Even just for the year to give Wardlaw etc another year to develop? We certainly wont be getting a player of LDU's caliber in the door to replace him.

Seems most oppo supporters have afoot in both camps "get more experienced players" but simultaneously want North to let him go for unders for their own self interests.

You don't think Moorabbin is Bayside? Linton St is 4 minutes up South Rd from Brighton Beach.

Most of the St Kilda players all live in Beaumaris, Black Rock etc. Quite a few of them live down the Penninsula (where LDU is from and is a massive surfer).

LDU himself lives in Elwood.

If LDU wanted to move back down the Peninsula, the best AFL club to do that is St Kilda, until Hawthorns Dingley training base is built.

I didn’t say it wasn’t bayside, I just find it funny that you think that would be a factor. Realistically he doesn’t have to move houses at all, especially if he’s already going from Elwood to north Melbourne. The only reason he’d have to move would be if he went to Geelong or an interstate club.

I didn’t say it wasn’t bayside, I just find it funny that you think that would be a factor. Realistically he doesn’t have to move houses at all, especially if he’s already going from Elwood to north Melbourne.

It may be a factor if he wants to live back down the Peninsula which he has expressed a desire to do.

Hunter Clark is also at St Kilda.

He has been linked to St Kilda various times over the last 12 months.

You tried to troll St Kilda and got an answer, stop melting.

It may be a factor if he wants to live back down the Peninsula which he has expressed a desire to do.

Hunter Clark is also at St Kilda.

You tried to troll St Kilda and got an answer, stop melting.

I mean Pendlebury lives in Mornington, doesn’t stop him from playing for the pies does it. 🤷‍♂️

If LDU wanted to move back down the Peninsula, the best AFL club to do that is St Kilda, until Hawthorns Dingley training base is built
End of 2025. 👀

How do St Kilda engineer a top 5 pick in 2024? They would have to finish in the bottom 4.

It's not possible.

Are you forgetting Ashcroft, Lombard and a few others exist in this draft?

We have multiple options here.

The other scenario to your option is just waiting until 2025 and likely obtaining a top 2-3 pick for him.

How do you put a price on having LDU in the side for 2025? Even just for the year to give Wardlaw etc another year to develop? We certainly wont be getting a player of LDU's caliber in the door to replace him.

Seems most oppo supporters have afoot in both camps "get more experienced players" but simultaneously want North to let him go for unders for their own self interests.
He is worth a pick 5-10 so im saying pick 7 + Howard for LDU is about right.

Lets not pretend LDU is some guy who like finished 2nd in the Brownlow a year or 2 earlier like Tim Kelly had. He is just a okayish midfielder

This year was supposed to be LDUs breakout.

He’s dropped in output and perhaps that is understandable given where the team is at.

But it’s also exposed his weaknesses that have become glaring.

He’s not a two way runner, and his opponent can damage him the other way. In previous years this could be overlooked by the weight of possession he got.
Needs a defensively sided mid to come in and carry the can for him and for each of his possessions to be damaging, which brings me to his second weakness…

Disposal, especially by foot. Too often turns it over and doesn’t have penetration in his kicking. A problem when he’s such an offensive minded player.

I liken him to the Crouch brothers in the late 2010s.

Could be an important component in a good side, but not the game breaker he was once projected to be.

This should be the view clubs have on him.
Some may think that a change in environment may bring out more, but I wouldn’t be paying more for making that assumption.

And his value shouldn’t be more because he’s contracted. If he wants out, it’s in his clubs best interest to move him on rather than have a disgruntled employee there for another 12 months.

Not sure what this means in terms of pick value. Depends on the year and the draft class I spose.
Around pick 7-12 in an open draft would probably be around the mark.

I don’t watch enough norf games to be able to comment on it further, but I still think he’s a better player than Dylan Shiel ever was.

Averages pretty similar if not superior stats the last 2 years to Shiels very best years at GWS in terms of disposals, contested possessions, clearances etc.

Shiels best two years at GWS also coincided with them occurring when the team was flying and finishing top 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t watch enough norf games to be able to comment on it further, but I still think he’s a better player than Dylan Shiel ever was.
Oh I mean Shiels at GWS, not the crocked one at Bombers so gotta go back a few years.

Shiel probably a bit underrated cos of the mess he has become but at GWS he and LDU are similar. Think the same trade package is about right then, maybe a tiny bit more because North are more reluctant sellers

It’s too late for North to draft its way out. They need to trade in A grade talent, leadership talent (eg Hodge to Brisbane) or injured unappreciated talent (eg McCarthy, Robinson, Lyons, Adams at Brisbane etc). They should not be trading in list filler spuds.

They need to be given more priority picks, enough that they can make a crazy trade offer for two genuine A grade players. two back men or one backman and one mid or fwd.

It’s too late to get Pendles. 37 next year and I reckon would look absolutely cooked in a side like North.

I’d try to get the following players if they’re not offered another deal - Tom Hawkins, Jeremy Howe etc

Last edited:
Oh I mean Shiels at GWS, not the crocked one at Bombers so gotta go back a few years.

Shiel probably a bit underrated cos of the mess he has become but at GWS he and LDU are similar. Think the same trade package is about right then, maybe a tiny bit more because North are more reluctant sellers

GWS received Picks 9 & F1 (10).

North will set the market at the end of this year, if it isn't in the ballpark of the likely compo (It's clearly going to be Band 1), then he will just playout 2025.

You don't think Moorabbin is Bayside? Linton St is 4 minutes up South Rd from Brighton Beach.

Most of the St Kilda players all live in Beaumaris, Black Rock etc. Quite a few of them live down the Penninsula (where LDU is from and is a massive surfer).

LDU himself lives in Elwood.

If LDU wanted to move back down the Peninsula, the best AFL club to do that is St Kilda, until Hawthorns Dingley training base is built.
LDU eyeing up a move to the Surf Coast with the bonus of a Costa Living Allowance that nets property at heavily discounted prices.

Swapping the vertical blue and white stripes for the blue and white hoops

Remember last year when North fans claimed to hold all the cards, not the club holding the asset they were interested in.

Now they hold the asset they apparently hold all the cards again.

🤔

Remove this Banner Ad

Back