ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
He's out of contract, 31, has younger guys staring down his position, but most importantly, he is a premiership player. Over 200 games & 400 goals over 14 seasons. All Australian in 2010, premiership player in 2018.

I couldn't be happier about his premiership medal, he deserves it. I won't lie, I reckon he had a shocker yesterday. Not to spoil the party, that's just my analysis.

Now that he's made it, does he retire on a high? He has nothing left to give, nothing to prove, nothing higher to win. Is this the end of a club legend?

Id like for him to go on for another year although i can see him pulling the pin.

One of our moat successfull small fowards, not properly recognised by the pictorian media.

He may retire now having achived the ultimate team success or he may play on with the possibility of going B2B.

I think he should probably go out on a high.

Was good this year but pretty ordinary yesterday. A number of times he hovered just off the ball waiting for it to spill out when he needed to go in and get it. He didn't squib any contests but was playing at H&A intensity in a high pressure game.

One more ....with the realistic goal that he might not play 22games ...might be 10-12

Does he want to play wafl ...not sure.....

He’s our on forward line coach on the ground ....he is the captain of the forward line

He still gets a good opponent ....

So long as the kids are kept being played

But if simmo made the hard call ...I get it

But please can we have specific forward line coach and this guy is who I want ......has unbelievable footy smarts

I tell your one thing ...the opposition coaches would still be putting time into lecras planning when we play other sides ......our forward line is still young with venners, Ryan rioli ....lecras and jk had those wise heads

He looks slow .....errr he’s never been quick ....But agree with others too that if he retired great way to go out

I’d want him as a forward line coach ....or kicking coach ....

No from me...what a difference 12 months can make.

I want to see other players get an opportunity but we still need mature depth. Schofield is a perfect example of this.

Keep him in as long as he’s fit and happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark Lecras Stats line:
- 5 tackles (4 inside 50), 10 touches (7 contested), 0 turnovers, 1 goal assist, 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s, 2 1%ers

He had a serviceable game, he was all over the park and did his bit whenever called upon.

I thought he was good enough, he was never a focal point, his one mark inside 50 he handed off and rightfully so. He had a more even performance than Ryan and Rioli (but not a better one), didn't have their highlights but didn't have their low lights either. Rioli, despite some turnovers and getting caught HTB a few times was the best of the smalls, all three showed good defensive mindset but Rioli's efforts were next level defensively.

Lecras laid some hard hits and fought for the ball, but he also went the bump and stuffed it up massively with Mayne side-stepping him and gaining territory. He has a wrist that needs work, he kicked over 30 goals again and missed 4 games, on top of this he's no longer our prime small, probably not even our second pick. It's worth noting that Ryan and Venables aren't able to produce the minutes on ground yet so are still building their fitness base and Lecras is good cover who can run for +85% of the game.

I want him to stay, Rioli and Ryan are the way forward, Lecras isn't so much a crumber now, just a high half forward flanker who runs back hard to try be the overlap. His best work in my opinion is delivering inside 50, marking just outside, or giving quick hands off to someone else when gathering off the ground.

I don't think Waterman is the right replacement, but the right replacement might just be a shuffling of players, rather than someone doing the exact things he does.

I think Lecras would be incredible depth even if he wasn't getting games. I won't be mad either way, he deserves to go out on a high. We'll be ok without him, but he's judged to his old standards when his role is way different than even last year when it was only him and Cripps (Rioli having those hamstring problems).

Also, note how many big set shots he delivered this year. He was sublime under pressure, something that runs in this team at the moment.

At least we don't have Ballantyne.

I'm not fazed what he does now. There's positives and negatives in either decision.

At the end of his career he has still got that richly deserved and wanted premiership medal but. Lecca and Hurn are the great stories to come out of it having been around the club during 05 and Hurn in 06 but missing out due to inexperience and form.

1 more for me.

He's got the Glass role of the forward line. Controls the troops and still kicked 30+ for the year. I mean as long as he's not guaranteed a spot I'm all good.
30 Goal Forwards don’t grow on trees.
30 Goals would have won the Goal Kicking at some clubs.
One more year for me even if to guide the youngsters in the reserve side when needed.
Too much talent to be shown the door too early.

He has hit the biggest high possible; winning a flag. That can never be taken away. He could call it quits but i dont see why he would, to me he is still a required player and should go around again next year.

30 Goal Forwards don’t grow on trees.
30 Goals would have won the Goal Kicking at some clubs.
One more year for me even if to guide the youngsters in the reserve side when needed.
Too much talent to be shown the door too early.
Straight into coaching.

One of the things we lack is that hard edge hawthorn has

Smitchell wins a b and f and is shown the door because they are looking forwards not back.

They are the most successful club because of this hard edge - lecca can coach our forwardline. But its time to move on.

Think its time to call quits. He had a great year but over the last few year he starts off well and then drops off as the season goes. Think he'll start of ok next year and will hit a brickwall around round 10 ish. Go out on a high Lecca.

He's out of contract, 31, has younger guys staring down his position, but most importantly, he is a premiership player. Over 200 games & 400 goals over 14 seasons. All Australian in 2010, premiership player in 2018.

I couldn't be happier about his premiership medal, he deserves it. I won't lie, I reckon he had a shocker yesterday. Not to spoil the party, that's just my analysis.

Now that he's made it, does he retire on a high? He has nothing left to give, nothing to prove, nothing higher to win. Is this the end of a club legend?
Would like to see us prioritise getting games into waterman next year.

Thanks lecca - loved your work - if he wants to stay on as depth im fine with that but we as a club have to make hard decisions if we want more than one gf
I think he should probably go out on a high.

Was good this year but pretty ordinary yesterday. A number of times he hovered just off the ball waiting for it to spill out when he needed to go in and get it. He didn't squib any contests but was playing at H&A intensity in a high pressure game.
Hope he retires just so he finishes in a high note.

Can see him becoming pretty ineffective if he keeps slowing down and becoming a bit maligned.

Quit on a high Lecca!
Straight into coaching.

One of the things we lack is that hard edge hawthorn has

Smitchell wins a b and f and is shown the door because they are looking forwards not back.

They are the most successful club because of this hard edge - lecca can coach our forwardline. But its time to move on.
Think its time to call quits. He had a great year but over the last few year he starts off well and then drops off as the season goes. Think he'll start of ok next year and will hit a brickwall around round 10 ish. Go out on a high Lecca.

Bit odd that you're all acting like LeGod just had a year like Pridda's last one, which is so far from the truth it isn't funny. Who offers more then him? Oscar? Waterman? Cameron (if we draft him)? None would provide the same output as him, and they couldn't offer the same leadership. It can't be because he doesn't apply enough pressure, given he averaged the second most tackles of all our small forwards (in fact he had more then Rioli, who played an additional game), so why should we replace him?

I don't think he faded too much this year, I think it was a transition to the Rioli and Ryan years. At the start of the year, only one of them was playing, Ryan missed some footy.

When they both cemented their spots, it was better for the team to have them as the primary crumbers and Lecras more of a runner up the ground.

Back