Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
you dont think he would have managed to snag 3 goals if he played the last 4 games?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maybe. But you can only be a 50 goal a year forward if you're actually fit, on the park and kick 50 goals.

Otherwise it's all just stats and hypotheticals.

Didn’t Jesse play some of his best football for the year against Geelong, North, Hawthorn, and Richmond in the first 5 rounds? Sure he struggled against top sides after QB but so did the rest of the team, and he seemed to be playing hurt. It was unfortunate that he missed our only four wins against top 8 teams by arguably he might have been one of the blokes to improve his record against the top sides

Maybe. But you can only be a 50 goal a year forward if you're actually fit, on the park and kick 50 goals.

Otherwise it's all just stats and hypotheticals.
ok lets start calling him a 47 goal forward then

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Didn’t Jesse play some of his best football for the year against Geelong, North, Hawthorn, and Richmond in the first 5 rounds? Sure he struggled against top sides after QB but so did the rest of the team, and he seemed to be playing hurt. It was unfortunate that he missed our only four wins against top 8 teams by arguably he might have been one of the blokes to improve his record against the top sides

It's not just this year, almost all our best wins since 2014 have been without him.
Last year our wins in Adelaide and Perth were without him.
Before that the big wins against Geelong in 15 and Hawks in 16 and PA in 16

Its an indisputable trend.

Also dig deeper into his stats earlier this year.
Geelong
16 disp, 3 marks, 3.0

North
26 disp, 7 marks, 1.2

Hawks
24 disposals (12 handballs) 3 marks, 1.1

Tigs
22 Disp, 9 marks, 2.2

He was rotating deep and CHF.
3 marks against Geelong and Hawthorn are poor but 3.0 against the cats was good.

24 touches sound good but half being handballs is not what you want Hogan in the team for. Wouldn't call it a good game.

26 and 7 marks is a good CHF game but north isn't top 8

9 marks against the Tigs was good.

Getting 20 disposals in modern footy is piss easy, unless you are a clearance beast, or a damaging kick then you are interchangeable for a 400 blokes on AFL lists. If you can be a marking option then that changes.
So while he wasn't bad he wasn't great either and we lost 3 of the 4.

If he wants to get the footy, go to CHB

It's not just this year, almost all our best wins since 2014 have been without him.
Last year our wins in Adelaide and Perth were without him.
Before that the big wins against Geelong in 15 and Hawks in 16 and PA in 16

Its an indisputable trend.

Also dig deeper into his stats earlier this year.
Geelong
16 disp, 3 marks, 3.0

North
26 disp, 7 marks, 1.2

Hawks
24 disposals (12 handballs) 3 marks, 1.1

Tigs
22 Disp, 9 marks, 2.2

He was rotating deep and CHF.
3 marks against Geelong and Hawthorn are poor but 3.0 against the cats was good.

24 touches sound good but half being handballs is not what you want Hogan in the team for. Wouldn't call it a good game.

26 and 7 marks is a good CHF game but north isn't top 8

9 marks against the Tigs was good.

Getting 20 disposals in modern footy is piss easy, unless you are a clearance beast, or a damaging kick then you are interchangeable for a 400 blokes on AFL lists. If you can be a marking option then that changes.
So while he wasn't bad he wasn't great either and we lost 3 of the 4.

If he wants to get the footy, go to CHB

How often have you seen him live ?

Earlier in the year Hogan was taking marks at CHB and also kicking goals and delivering I50 and was never static, taking marks with tons of space. Could be that he was playing against inferior opposition, or that he was not yet injured.

My theory is once his foot was rooted they put in him in the goal square and because of his inability to run fast off the mark or even kick it very far he asked for it to be kicked deep so he could either wrestle or get it out the back. This obviously ****ed our connection I50 and either our kicks were marked deep or when we tried to kick it 25-35 m out, Hogan wouldn't lead and it would get picked off.

The Sydney game a great example - Heeney outmarked him when it was put on his head and Allir constantly chopped it off at the start of the game when Hogan wasn't leading but our mids hadn't figured that out yet.

The question for me is can we fit Hogan in a roaming Wing/CHF role with TMac and Weid who we 100% need in our forward line, or does this only work against bad opposition who don't put pressure on Jesse?

Will he actually be able to play that role with his foot or did his running loads contribute to the problem?

Gaff and Tcloke

Vs every other free agent who has left

Travis Boak of Port left it to the end of the season, after being courted by Geelong, to stay at Port, the same year as Cloke chose to stay at Collingwood.

Boak was even rewarded for his loyalty with the Power captaincy.

As an outsider, I have a few observations about Jesse Hogan.

-I think he gets a bad rap by certain members of the media, because he seems shy and doesn't do many interviews. If he played for Carlton, some in the media would be talking about him like he is the second coming.

Jesse Hogan > Charlie Curnow (at the moment)

- Weid is still a skinny kid who needs a couple of more preseasons of weight-work. He can be anything, but he only got in the side because Hogan was injured.

Trading out a proven forward for a kid with potential is a risky practice, and I can't see Weidemann beating Alex Rance or Jeremy McGovern.

-Some say that he has not made MFC his No.1 priority. Well, how dare he? How dare he put his own mental health (depression) and his father's illness and death ahead of what the club wants? I mean, it's not like he had things going on in his life that were far more important. How dare he rather be at his father's deathbed than kicking a footy around. Where are his priorities?

I think once Hogan gets his physical and mental issues sorted, he will be able to become the gun he is touted to be. There is no guarantee that Sam Weidemann will ever be as good, just based on eight weeks of football.

Why not use his as a swingman with TMac. Both can play forward and defence, and being able to swing both provides tactical options. I would sooner back in Hogan over Weidemann.

-Some people here talk about Hogan's attitude. Yet they want to get rid of Hogan, to get in a guy (Stephen May) who is jerking his club around and not committing to them, despite being captain (meaning that he is expected to show a certain level of responsibility). So the club would rather back in Weidemann as a forward, then Sam Frost or OMac as KPDs. Don't forget that the club are trying to get in Kolojadsnij from Gold Coast as well, so you aren't showing much faith in Frost or OMac (based off one game, the PF).

Hogan hasn't requested a trade, and is being told to sign a new contract, while he still has a contract for 2019. He doesn't need to commit again until halfway through next year at least, and if Melbourne win the flag, he might decide to stay for life.

-I think he gets a bad rap by certain members of the media, because he seems shy and doesn't do many interviews. If he played for Carlton, some in the media would be talking about him like he is the second coming.

- Weid is still a skinny kid who needs a couple of more preseasons of weight-work. He can be anything, but he only got in the side because Hogan was injured.

Trading out a proven forward for a kid with potential is a risky practice, and I can't see Weidemann beating Alex Rance or Jeremy McGovern.

-Some say that he has not made MFC his No.1 priority. Well, how dare he? How dare he put his own mental health (depression) and his father's illness and death ahead of what the club wants? I mean, it's not like he had things going on in his life that were far more important. How dare he rather be at his father's deathbed than kicking a footy around. Where are his priorities?

I think once Hogan gets his physical and mental issues sorted, he will be able to become the gun he is touted to be. There is no guarantee that Sam Weidemann will ever be as good, just based on eight weeks of football.

Why not use his as a swingman with TMac. Both can play forward and defence, and being able to swing both provides tactical options. I would sooner back in Hogan over Weidemann.

-Some people here talk about Hogan's attitude. Yet they want to get rid of Hogan, to get in a guy (Stephen May) who is jerking his club around and not committing to them, despite being captain (meaning that he is expected to show a certain level of responsibility). So the club would rather back in Weidemann as a forward, then Sam Frost or OMac as KPDs. Don't forget that the club are trying to get in Kolojadsnij from Gold Coast as well, so you aren't showing much faith in Frost or OMac (based off one game, the PF).

Hogan hasn't requested a trade, and is being told to sign a new contract, while he still has a contract for 2019. He doesn't need to commit again until halfway through next year at least, and if Melbourne win the flag, he might decide to stay for life.
Melbourne didn't instigate this. At season's end, Jesse told us he wanted to explore playing in WA and we said ok, if we can hammer out an equitable deal we're open to it.
If we are able to negotiate a deal we will have some trade currency (right now we have none) and the club cleary thinks that our best use of that currency is to reinforce our key back stocks, as opposed to going to the draft or seeking a replacement key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda feels like a post just aiming for likes

He's constantly talked about as the 2nd coming. After his rising star pendles said he would kick 100 and people compared him to Carey.

One on one inside 50 id choose Curnow. Around the ground Hogan. Picking a bloke a couple years younger is irrelevant though

Hogan can't beat Rance or McGovern either, that's why Tmac is our number 1 forward. Weideman was involved in 2 finals winning sides and a big contributor in 1. Hogan hasn't.

Literally no one has ever given him crap for being in Perth for his dad. People have built up a bank of evidence about Hogans attitude over a number of years. It's got nothing to do with his dad's illness.

May was made captain after Tom Lynch wouldn't commit, no one is advocating may for the captaincy at Melbourne we are conducting business. Like how Geelong steals homesick players every year for nothing then refuses to let Kelly go.

Omac an Frost have had 3 years to develop and our defence has been a problem for a while. Weideman has Tmac to learn from, the others have no one.

He does need to commit, because whatever offer we could get for him this year will be less next year.

As Ando said, he wanted to explore the trade not us.

Kinda feels like a post just aiming for likes

He's constantly talked about as the 2nd coming. After his rising star pendles said he would kick 100 and people compared him to Carey.

One on one inside 50 id choose Curnow. Around the ground Hogan. Picking a bloke a couple years younger is irrelevant though

Hogan can't beat Rance or McGovern either, that's why Tmac is our number 1 forward. Weideman was involved in 2 finals winning sides and a big contributor in 1. Hogan hasn't.

Literally no one has ever given him crap for being in Perth for his dad. People have built up a bank of evidence about Hogans attitude over a number of years. It's got nothing to do with his dad's illness.

May was made captain after Tom Lynch wouldn't commit, no one is advocating may for the captaincy at Melbourne we are conducting business. Like how Geelong steals homesick players every year for nothing then refuses to let Kelly go.

Omac an Frost have had 3 years to develop and our defence has been a problem for a while. Weideman has Tmac to learn from, the others have no one.

He does need to commit, because whatever offer we could get for him this year will be less next year.

As Ando said, he wanted to explore the trade not us.

The first year he may have been, but the media dropped off him pretty quickly, whereas Curnow is still being talked about as the "second coming" when he has done less so far to show it.

Hogan could have been involved in two winning finals sides if he wasn't injured. What, do you think that Melbourne would have lost those finals if Hogan had played instead of Weid?

Okay, give evidence of "attitude problems" that Hogan has supposedly had over the years. I have heard that he isn't 100% invested in thinking about the club first, but injuries, depression and grief can make someone put others things as priorities ahead of their footy club.

May was made captain at GC, but he hasn't committed either. You talk about Hogan's "attitude" problems, yet GC's captain can't tell his club whether he is staying or going, one day before trading ends. Is that the type of person you want coming into the club?

You comment on Geelong. But we are not stopping Tim Kelly going home. He only wants to play for WCE, when there are two clubs in WA, and the Eagles won't give us a good deal. You probably think we should let the Eagles bend us over.

I think too many people are putting too much faith in Sam Weidemann on a very small sample size. I think Melbourne should at least keep Hogan, until Weidemann has cemented his spot at FF.

Hogan may have explored the trade, but Melbourne are happy to push him out the door to free up salary cap room so that they can pay May.

The first year he may have been, but the media dropped off him pretty quickly, whereas Curnow is still being talked about as the "second coming" when he has done less so far to show it.

Hogan could have been involved in two winning finals sides if he wasn't injured. What, do you think that Melbourne would have lost those finals if Hogan had played instead of Weid?

Okay, give evidence of "attitude problems" that Hogan has supposedly had over the years. I have heard that he isn't 100% invested in thinking about the club first, but injuries, depression and grief can make someone put others things as priorities ahead of their footy club.

May was made captain at GC, but he hasn't committed either. You talk about Hogan's "attitude" problems, yet GC's captain can't tell his club whether he is staying or going, one day before trading ends. Is that the type of person you want coming into the club?

You comment on Geelong. But we are not stopping Tim Kelly going home. He only wants to play for WCE, when there are two clubs in WA, and the Eagles won't give us a good deal. You probably think we should let the Eagles bend us over.

I think too many people are putting too much faith in Sam Weidemann on a very small sample size. I think Melbourne should at least keep Hogan, until Weidemann has cemented his spot at FF.

Hogan may have explored the trade, but Melbourne are happy to push him out the door to free up salary cap room so that they can pay May.

I really think you are making up the Curnow hype vs Hogan. Besides who cares what the media thinks? Individually know one respects them but as a collective they're opinion suddenly matters?

I have no idea, evidence clearly shows we play better without Hogan that with him in important games. Weideman was nearly best on against Geelong while Hogan was woefully out of form the 2nd half of the season. Hogans a better player but for our structure id prefer Weid.

People have questioned his attitude for years here. ' I have heard' doesn't cut it.
I've heard Tom Scully say he wants to be a one club player.

May was made captain. Exactly. He was given it. Hardly the point though, no one is lauding may for his leadership we are simply trying to replace one player with another.
He has also told GC he wants to leave, not sure where you are making up your facts from, probably your ass. Hogan hasn't 'told' us either so under your logic we should trade out his type of person aswell and get no one.

WCE made an offer, you are stopping him going home not accepting it. Don't re write the narrative now that I flipped it on Geelong.

Again seeing as you didn't read it the first time. Neither Hogan or Weid will be our FF. Tom McDonald is better than both.

Wait so now Melbourne is the bad guy for being happy to explore it after he approached us? So Melbourne should refuse to trade a player who actively wants to leave and is out of contract next year.

I can't help but admire our all out approach to win a flag. Lot of people melting right now because he was one of their favourite players. Always hurts losing someone you looked forward to watching each weekend (especially a forward). Its understandable somewhat.

In the cold light of day though Im pretty sure everyone will be very happy at what we got in return just a few rounds into next year though. May makes us a better team by far.

I wish Jesse nothing but the best, feel for him. Had a terrible run of life in general over the past few years. Hopefully being home helps him both on and off the field. Thank you for your service and loyalty. :thumbsu:

May/KK/pick 23 was basically the minimum for a reasonable trade with Tinkerbell and co. It’s unders but not hugely so.

What I don’t understand is why pick 65 was of any interest to Freo, made it more of a win or something?

May/KK/pick 23 was basically the minimum for a reasonable trade with Tinkerbell and co. It’s unders but not hugely so.

What I don’t understand is why pick 65 was of any interest to Freo, made it more of a win or something?
Extra rookie upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back