Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone needs to pull him aside and tell him he isn't Tony Lockett so stop trying to out muscle everyone, he actually isn't strong enough.

All the shine has worn off him. He's not that good. He's a big kid who was ready young but his hands aren't that clean and doesn't take advantage of enough 1 on 1 contests. If you ignore the free kicks he didn't win a single contest inside the 50.

Didn't like his game at all last night. Spent a lot of time looking / asking for free kicks, and while he made a few efforts, there are times he just doesn't put in and jogs along rather than trying to pressure opponents. Frustrating moments like thinking the ball is going to roll out and letting his direct opponent pick it up and run away with it need to stop.

Didn't like his game at all last night. Spent a lot of time looking / asking for free kicks, and while he made a few efforts, there are times he just doesn't put in and jogs along rather than trying to pressure opponents. Frustrating moments like thinking the ball is going to roll out and letting his direct opponent pick it up and run away with it need to stop.

Kennedy, Franklin, Lynch etc all chase and tackle. Hogans high on himself

Kennedy, Franklin, Lynch etc all chase and tackle. Hogans high on himself

Haven't watched Hogan much this year but certainly thought that last night. He kicked three but one was a gift for the rushed behind because he didn't chase and was already looking for a free. Hopefully a bit of early success hasn't gone to his head.

Obviously a super talent but he is going to need to increase his work ethic to become a great player. Hopefully Goodwin can draw that out of him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haven't watched Hogan much this year but certainly thought that last night. He kicked three but one was a gift for the rushed behind because he didn't chase and was already looking for a free. Hopefully a bit of early success hasn't gone to his head.

Obviously a super talent but he is going to need to increase his work ethic to become a great player. Hopefully Goodwin can draw that out of him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

On pure talent there's not a huge difference between Riewoldt and Hogan
However Jack worked his ass off forward while Hogan expected things.

6 goals to 3 flattered Hogan

I hate it when Hogan gets in his wrestling matches. He's so much better using his running power as a true CHF and getting up the ground a bit.

That's where the lack of a second key tall who can play deeper hurts us, too.

Thought he was really good last night. Hit packs hard and brought the ball to ground.
Was burnt so many times. Kick to his advantage instead of on his head.

He wasn't great but he wasn't that bad either. He did a lot of good work outside of the forward 50 up around the wings and half back flank. He isn't hitting up at the ball inside 50 this year.

for me he is still young. I used to hate reiwoldt for his arrogance, attitude and work rate. look at him now.

Hogan gets really poor service, hes not great when the ball lands on his head, his hands are not clean enough yet.

Thought he was really good last night. Hit packs hard and brought the ball to ground.
Was burnt so many times. Kick to his advantage instead of on his head.
I agree

All the shine has worn off him. He's not that good. He's a big kid who was ready young but his hands aren't that clean and doesn't take advantage of enough 1 on 1 contests. If you ignore the free kicks he didn't win a single contest inside the 50.
How was anyone expected to mark inside 50 last night?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gets in wrestle match sooks to umpires when he isnt strong enough.
Was barely in the right position when we needed him either as the lead up or FF and if so sooked it up. He was lucky sooking once when every1 ran past him n balled popped back so he could soccer. Why was jeff our FF so many times? I just dont see it with this campaigner either can barely kick 50 is still a baby doesnt chase doesnt do * all. Entitled ******* ********. He obviously believes the hype n doesnt do * all to fulfill it. He needs a roasting.

You'd be alone
No, he isn't. At the ground he worked really hard. He ran and he chased. The comparison you made earlier with JR is fair enough, but Reiwoldt has had his fair share of poor games early in his career. He doesn't always play like he did last night. Comparing JR's best with JH's less impressive performances is not really that helpful. There were many times when he had space he led and they ignored him. He has plenty of upside. This was an example of where the TV did not really show his workrate. He wasn't a star, but he wasn't terrible and two Richmond backs went back to him whereas last week the Fremantle backs ignored our forwards. Don't write him off he is an asset to this team.

You'd be alone
Not entirely. He wasn't his best, but you don't get the benefit of going to the game where, unlike with the TV, you get a true appreciation of his work rate, the amount of ground he covers etc. Our game plan or execution is not bringing out his best and nor is the absence of an alternative target, once Watts gets caught up in the spare ruck role Hogan is left countless times with poor kicks bombed to his head wrestling multiple defenders. We're not using him to advantage at all and IMO the culprit is our shitty forward structure not Hogan.

Not entirely. He wasn't his best, but you don't get the benefit of going to the game where, unlike with the TV, you get a true appreciation of his work rate, the amount of ground he covers etc. Our game plan or execution is not bringing out his best and nor is the absence of an alternative target, once Watts gets caught up in the spare ruck role Hogan is left countless times with poor kicks bombed to his head wrestling multiple defenders. We're not using him to advantage at all and IMO the culprit is our shitty forward structure not Hogan.

I'm sure his general work rate in transitions is fine, he's an athlete that's never been a problem. I'm more concerned with when he loses a contest, he jogs after his opponent. His soccer goal literally came because he gave up on the contest and everyone ran past the ball. I was ready yelling at the TV that he was being lazy. He constantly traps the defenders arm over his shoulder then throws his arms out like it's the 80s, instead of going for the footy and letting the umpire do his job.

I was coming in here to say that exact thing and was certain I'd be one-out.

I agree, I don't actually think he is as good as we thought.

Daniher is good.

I was coming in here to say that exact thing and was certain I'd be one-out.

I agree, I don't actually think he is as good as we thought.

Daniher is good.
Daniher has another 2-3 years on him

Jesse is a victim of his own high standards from his first year, we all jizzed that hard over him then, because he hasn't yet returned to those heights everyone is jumping off him.

He's still a young KPF who has played less than 50 games. His pre season form was fantastic and he was great in Rd 1. Lets just relax and give him time to develop.

What does concern me is that he plays for frees and still carries on but I'll put that down to maturity for now.

Daniher has another 2-3 years on him

Jesse is a victim of his own high standards from his first year, we all jizzed that hard over him then, because he hasn't yet returned to those heights everyone is jumping off him.

He's still a young KPF who has played less than 50 games. His pre season form was fantastic and he was great in Rd 1. Lets just relax and give him time to develop.

What does concern me is that he plays for frees and still carries on but I'll put that down to maturity for now.

Yeah but is his curve a lot flatter than we thought? He's already fit and already strong. I'm not sure his ceiling is much higher unless he becomes smarter in games

Yeah but is his curve a lot flatter than we thought? He's already fit and already strong. I'm not sure his ceiling is much higher unless he becomes smarter in games
He has changed the way he has played since his first year, he used to run and launch himself at the ball to try and take it at its highest point, no idea why he's gotten away from that and persists on trying to wrestle with his defenders.

I don't think he'll be the messiah like we all once thought, but I still think he'll be in the top 2-3 forwards in the game.

We really need Weid to come on to take some heat off him.

I was blowing up at him during the game, but the more I think about it, the more I realise how much kept going against him during the game. The rain in the first qrt made it difficult for everyone to take marks, let alone Hogan trying to beat a defender and the ball being put on his head. In the second qrt, Smith goes down, there goes plan a forward structure, and an extra tall freed up to help when it comes to Hogan. Second half, Spencer is gone from the game, and Watts is gone from the forward line, there goes forward structure plan b.

The same childish arm flailing is another matter, but it was more later in the game, and you probably can't blame him for getting frustrated.

He has changed the way he has played since his first year, he used to run and launch himself at the ball to try and take it at its highest point, no idea why he's gotten away from that and persists on trying to wrestle with his defenders.

I don't think he'll be the messiah like we all once thought, but I still think he'll be in the top 2-3 forwards in the game.

We really need Weid to come on to take some heat off him.
I have totally lost confidence that he could become that good. And in contrast to just about everyone else's recollections, I remember him being really good at out bodying defenders in his first year? I agree he should be running more, and leading and jumping at the footy, and that our fwd entries don't really support him in that lately (chicken or egg though...). But I don't see the smarts in him that I thought I did at first. He's also a s**t kick for goal, which is a huge problem for a so called gun (or future gun) forward.

I hope I am proven very wrong, but Im starting to feel like he's Juice and Brad Miller all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back