3 Jack Redden Brisbane
4 Adam SchniderSt.kilda
5 Greg Broughton Fremantle
6 Luke McPharlin Fremantle
7 Travis Boak Port
8 Joel Corey Geelong
9 Matt Priddis West Coast
10 Leigh Adams Kangaroos

Scotland is seriously underrated. Has one of the best kicks in the AFL, and would replace Bob Murphy in my AA team

Stanton is so underrated. He is one of the fittest players in the AFL, up there with Riewoldt and Swan, works his ass off and probably covers more ground in one game than every player in the AFL barring Swan yet he's a front runner? Gimme a break, actually watch him and you'll find that out.

Leon Davis easily surpassed Scotland at his own game after one year as a backman as a 30 yr old, and, no club thought he was worth a spot on their list, Scotland is a solid player, always has been, but he isn't a good mid and he never has been, dime a dozen player.

As for Stanton, grow up son, he's the first to admit he has major defensive flaws, he may be considered good enough to be a starting mid for the Bombers, but do you honestly think he'd be considered for a starting mid possy for a top 4 team? and given his lack of defensive qualitys he wouldn't get a gig across HB, and good luck to any team who plays him as a fwd as well, he's a B grader at best.

Grant Birchall most under rated in the league

He's a lesser skilled version of Joel Bowden. Put an opponent on him, like the PF and he is as effective as Hawthorn's game plan under pressure.

Personally as far as underrated defenders go in 2011, Tarrant and Bock were far superior to Birchall as far as performances go.

10. Tom Lonergan (Geelong)
9. Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
8. Tom Rockliff (Brisbane)
7. Sam Reid (Sydney)
6. Brad Green (Melbourne)
5. Nick Smith (Sydney)
4. Scott Selwood (WC)
3. Matt Priddis (WC)
2. Jack Redden (Brisbane)
1. Scott Thompson (Adelaide)

No surprise to see the only people listing Leigh Adams are fellow North supporters. He's so unheard of that not even you guys know about him.

I know about him, though imo he's good but nothing special.

Reminds me of Duncan from our team and Rich from Brisbane.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a lesser skilled version of Joel Bowden. Put an opponent on him, like the PF and he is as effective as Hawthorn's game plan under pressure.

Personally as far as underrated defenders go in 2011, Tarrant and Bock were far superior to Birchall as far as performances go.

Bock & Tarrant superior performances? I mean what kind of headspace do you live in? I know the All Australian selectors who picked Birchall in the AA squad, and the media experts who had him in the AA team in 2011 think he was better than Bock & Tarrant. But yet you think they were far superior? I have heard you say you think Collingwood have Hawthorn covered in pretty much every position. You just talk rubbish.

10. Tom Lonergan (Geelong)
9. Grant Birchall (Hawthorn)
8. Tom Rockliff (Brisbane)
7. Sam Reid (Sydney)
6. Brad Green (Melbourne)
5. Nick Smith (Sydney)
4. Scott Selwood (WC)
3. Matt Priddis (WC)
2. Jack Redden (Brisbane)
1. Scott Thompson (Adelaide)

I like this list allot. Agree with a number of these.
Sam Reid I don't agree with. Has got so much hype this year - deservadly. But still has another 2-3 years until he develops into an elite KPP.

Brad Green I would also consider past his best if last season is any indication. Had a fantastic career though.

This is my list (Just can't squeeze it down from 30. In my view all these players are criminally underrated and none of them can be ignored):

1. Josh Kennedy (SYD)
2. Tom Rockliff
3. Ben Reid
4. Nathan Van Berlo
5. Nick Smith
6. Pearce Hanley
7. Leigh Adams
8. Tom Lonergan
9. Lachie Henderson
10. Eric McKenzie
11. Trent West
12. Zac Clarke
13. Brent Moloney
14. David Mundy
15. Scott Thompson
16. Kade Simpson
17. Matthew Warnock
18. Scott Selwood
19. Heath Hocking
20. Robert Warnock
21. Heath Scotland
22. Grant Birchall
23. Jack Redden
24. Matt Priddis
25. Andrew Swallow
26. Alan Toovey
27. Sam Jacobs
28. Matthew Leuenberger
29. Bryce Gibbs
30. Trent Cotchin

1. Liam Shiels
2. Daniel Merrett
3. Joel Corey
4. Luke McPharlin
5. Jay Schulz
6. Ryan Griffen
7. Leigh Adams
8. Adam Schneider
9. Zac Dawson
10. Eric Mackenzie

My top underrated players and my reason was that each player was vital to each teams sucess but not the marque player as such.

Adelaide. Ben Rutten (without him backline is stagnet and unstructured)
Brisbane. Daniel Rich (developing into their key onballer, stop him and they lack drive)
Carlton. Mitch Robbinson (Hard tough and aggressive but as impact on a game)
Collingwood: Luke Ball (in and under allows Pendles to play outside and that in itself is super important)
Essendon Michael Hurley (the key to their side back or forward)
Freo. David Mundy (Without him their midfield lacks class)
Geelong. Tom Lonergan (Frees up all the running backmen to play attacking football.)
Hawthorn: Grant Burchill (super important as he doen't miss targets)
West Coast Darren Glass (the reason why they were so good last year)
Gold Coast Michael Rischitelli (quality run and carry who finishes)
GWS Cullen Ward (We will find out but the best player in the club)
Melbourne Nathan Jones (grunt and hard edge in a team that lacks it)
North Melbourne: Michael Firitto (big, strong and allows their backs to structure up better.)
Port Adelaide: Robby Gray (there key class on baller)
Richmond: Shane Tuck (Skills are a little iffy but strong in and under taking the load of their young bodied class midfielders.)
St Kilda: Schnieder (hard running and skillfull footballer, could have won them a GF is for an unlucky bounce.)
Sydney Heath Grundy: Plays tall and short, run and carry and no fuss.
Bulldogs: Morris (The no nonsense backman who does his job week in and out, tall or short.)

My top underrated players and my reason was that each player was vital to each teams sucess but not the marque player as such.

Adelaide. Ben Rutten (without him backline is stagnet and unstructured)
Brisbane. Daniel Rich (developing into their key onballer, stop him and they lack drive)
Carlton. Mitch Robbinson (Hard tough and aggressive but as impact on a game)
Collingwood: Luke Ball (in and under allows Pendles to play outside and that in itself is super important)
Essendon Michael Hurley (the key to their side back or forward)
Freo. David Mundy (Without him their midfield lacks class)
Geelong. Tom Lonergan (Frees up all the running backmen to play attacking football.)
Hawthorn: Grant Burchill (super important as he doen't miss targets)
West Coast Darren Glass (the reason why they were so good last year)
Gold Coast Michael Rischitelli (quality run and carry who finishes)
GWS Cullen Ward (We will find out but the best player in the club)
Melbourne Nathan Jones (grunt and hard edge in a team that lacks it)
North Melbourne: Michael Firitto (big, strong and allows their backs to structure up better.)
Port Adelaide: Robby Gray (there key class on baller)
Richmond: Shane Tuck (Skills are a little iffy but strong in and under taking the load of their young bodied class midfielders.)
St Kilda: Schnieder (hard running and skillfull footballer, could have won them a GF is for an unlucky bounce.)
Sydney Heath Grundy: Plays tall and short, run and carry and no fuss.
Bulldogs: Morris (The no nonsense backman who does his job week in and out, tall or short.)

Bolded players are pretty rated across the board.

I like this list allot. Agree with a number of these.
Sam Reid I don't agree with. Has got so much hype this year - deservadly. But still has another 2-3 years until he develops into an elite KPP.

Brad Green I would also consider past his best if last season is any indication. Had a fantastic career though.

This is my list (Just can't squeeze it down from 30. In my view all these players are criminally underrated and none of them can be ignored):

1. Josh Kennedy (SYD)
2. Tom Rockliff
3. Ben Reid
4. Nathan Van Berlo
5. Nick Smith
6. Pearce Hanley
7. Leigh Adams
8. Tom Lonergan
9. Lachie Henderson
10. Eric McKenzie
11. Trent West
12. Zac Clarke
13. Brent Moloney
14. David Mundy
15. Scott Thompson
16. Kade Simpson
17. Matthew Warnock
18. Scott Selwood
19. Heath Hocking
20. Robert Warnock
21. Heath Scotland
22. Grant Birchall
23. Jack Redden
24. Matt Priddis
25. Andrew Swallow
26. Alan Toovey
27. Sam Jacobs
28. Matthew Leuenberger
29. Bryce Gibbs
30. Trent Cotchin

Yep, I agree with a lot of your top 30 too. There are a ginormous amount of underrated Brisbane players. Don't be surprised when they become the dominant team in a couple of years, most are choosing to let them go under the radar atm.

Can't believe no-one mentioned James Kelly, easily one of the most underrated players. Out shown by Selwood, Bartel, Ablett (when he was there) etc in the leagues best midfield of the past 5 years.

Finally got himself an AA but still unappreciated.

He lost the rising star to Heppell.

Suggests to me that he must be under-rated by at least that sector of the football community.
If I remember correctly he lost by one (or perhaps two) votes over the course of a season. This hardly qualifies Shuey as underrated !

If I remember correctly he lost by one (or perhaps two) votes over the course of a season. This hardly qualifies Shuey as underrated !
Heppell got 44/45, Shuey 29/45

Priddis would have to be most under-rated, absolute ball magnet if he played at a Victorian club he would easily be a Top 10 player if not higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back