AFL Player #10: Sam Weideman

Remove this Banner Ad

a strong set of hands in aerial contests and finishing with four goals
faint fainting GIF

I will get flamed for this but if his form as a defender stays at the level it was on Saturday he is a decent fringe option. To be clear. Has to be as a defender. He is shot as a forward.

I will get flamed for this but if his form as a defender stays at the level it was on Saturday he is a decent fringe option. To be clear. Has to be as a defender. He is shot as a forward.

Would it essentially come down to how far Hayes comes along as a defender? Would like to only carry one of the two as a fringe AFL / depth key defender. Two might be over kill but who knows.

Would it essentially come down to how far Hayes comes along as a defender? Would like to only carry one of the two as a fringe AFL / depth key defender. Two might be over kill but who knows.
Hayes will end up playing. He is more than depth now. It would be between Weideman and Laverde.

that was my next dot point. If Reid can stay healthy for more than 5 games that would almost rubber stamp Weidemann's list spot imho
If.
It is a watch this space really.

Laverde gets out of position too much. Was poor again against the Crows. That clanger summed up how he is going. Had absolutely no clue against JUH.

He is lucky we have so many injuries. Hayes just a little light framed for the Pies IMO. Weid or Lav unfortunatey for mine until Reid/Ridley back.

Baldwin was ahead of Lav too IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weed is not good enough back or forward. His mistake cost us winning goal on the weekend. Take Laverde over him anytime
Not sure about that. Yes it was an average handball but there where 4 possessions after that and several chances for our blokes to win the footy but they did not. Even with the poor handball I am pretty sure the umpire called him to play on , which is why it was rushed , and it was an average effort by Hoare , who is a decent size , to actually lose that contest. You could also ask how they had a loose player able to mark by himself 50 out that lead to the point. You could also question why Hayes did not kick it long towards the boundary. Can also question how a Southport player can get a clear mark 20 meters out of a rushed kick with 4 Essendon players in the vicinity. Or question the average tackle that allowed that rushed kick.
Weideman probably saved us 3 or 4 goals during the game.
Of course we would all take Laverde's magic pass to the Crows player allowing him to run into an open goal any time.:p
And to be pedantic it was the goal that leveled the scores. A bit more actioned after that. :p

Last edited:
They’ve pre announced he is going to play in defence in the article about the VFL side.

I wish the bloke well and everything but it is so over
Watch this space. It may be over for us but if he plays at last weeks level in the back half then it will not be so over.

Watch this space. It may be over for us but if he plays at last weeks level in the back half then it will not be so over.
Another lost forward who goes back and suddenly becomes competitive. It's amazing how often it happens.

The guy is a former top ten pick. He has talent. It just seems so much easier, having to beat an opponent instead of create the play.

Another lost forward who goes back and suddenly becomes competitive. It's amazing how often it happens.

The guy is a former top ten pick. He has talent. It just seems so much easier, having to beat an opponent instead of create the play.

Reacting to the play coming at you is a bit easier than having to try to create opportunities. Weideman is a great athlete for a tall bloke as well, few KPFs would have much on him for size, strength or endurance.

Could see him making a career of it down back like Liam Jones.

Reacting to the play coming at you is a bit easier than having to try to create opportunities. Weideman is a great athlete for a tall bloke as well, few KPFs would have much on him for size, strength or endurance.

Indeed. I reckon they have had THE TALK with Sam inside the club.

The one that says.. this is the only way it's going to work. Go spend half a season dominating the 2s backline.

I know he is much maligned, but I'm rooting for him. I reckon he will quite probably make it work. His bigger issue at Essendon is that he should be behind Hayes as well as Reid & Ridley in the pecking order if they can get on the park.

Weed has all the attributes to make it work as a defender.
If it doesn't work out here at the Dons, I can't see why other teams like North wouldn't pick him up. Weed has a mature body so likely it wouldn't need years to see more results out of him.

We now have a few players in that role. Tall defenders are a much needed commodity with many clubs.

Weed has all the attributes to make it work as a defender.
If it doesn't work out here at the Dons, I can't see why other teams like North wouldn't pick him up. Weed has a mature body so likely it wouldn't need years to see more results out of him.

We now have a few players in that role. Tall defenders are a much needed commodity with many clubs.

So what you're saying is...

Weideman and a 4th for Larkey?

So what you're saying is...

Weideman and a 4th for Larkey?
Give Weideman for free, in this instance.

Seeing North in this predicament reminds me of all the teams that tried to pick over Essendon's bones during the drugs saga. Likely would be a win win for both clubs.

Give Weideman for free, in this instance.

Seeing North in this predicament reminds me of all the teams that tried to pick over Essendon's bones during the drugs saga. Likely would be a win win for both clubs.
we don't want to be too charitable

Remove this Banner Ad

Back