Footy Dept. VFL Program - Blake Caracella appointed as head coach in 2024 - 27/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Rosa will be working to build the VFL program as well using his experience at Peel, and also Cam Roberts. So a little team to invest some time into the thing finally

Caracella will work closely with recently appointed AFL Talent & Operations Manager Matt Rosa, who has extensive experience developing a successful state league program at Peel Thunder in the WAFL.

“Matt’s football knowledge and experience, most recently from his time at Peel Thunder, means he understands the importance of having a strong second-tier program and the impact that can have over the wider club,” McPherson said.

“Blake and Matt will work closely with our Head of Development Cam Roberts, to build a program that not only accelerates the development of our AFL-listed players but also attracts strong talent who have the drive to become the best players they can.”

The Bombers are also pleased to welcome Jona Segal to the NEC Hangar as a Performance Coach, who will work within the high-performance team, overseeing the AFL program’s dietician services and assisting the strength and conditioning team.

Segal’s brings over two decades of elite sports experience, including leading North Melbourne’s high-performance department from 2017 to 2020.

This is a very good thing and it is not a demotion . Brad Scott odes not need a fist full of senior assistants . We need a super experienced person to coach the VFL and run the development program . Right now this role is the second most important position in the coaching department behind Scott.

This is a very good thing and it is not a demotion . Brad Scott odes not need a fist full of senior assistants . We need a super experienced person to coach the VFL and run the development program . Right now this role is the second most important position in the coaching department behind Scott.
I'm honesty a bit surprised he is still with us TBH and not sure that I agree with you.

I'm honesty a bit surprised he is still with us TBH and not sure that I agree with you.
It is pretty simple IMO. How much input would he be having in the coaches box with Scott ? Brad does not even go to the bench. How many of the experienced coach's have a dedicated senior assistant ? Clarkson doesn't . Chris Fagan doesn't . Voss doesn't . Chris Scott had Matthew Egan as head of development who was the most experienced who has now gone to the Dogs. Melbourne have their most experienced guy in mark Williams as the head of development.

It is pretty simple IMO. How much input would he be having in the coaches box with Scott ? Brad does not even go to the bench. How many of the experienced coach's have a dedicated senior assistant ? Clarkson doesn't . Chris Fagan doesn't . Voss doesn't . Chris Scott had Matthew Egan as head of development who was the most experienced who has now gone to the Dogs. Melbourne have their most experienced guy in mark Williams as the head of development.
Maybe it is as simple as we are moving on a bloke who was a little unprofessional and insubordinate at times into a role where it is more difficult to undermine the coach… ;)

Maybe it is as simple as we are moving on a bloke who was a little unprofessional and insubordinate at times into a role where it is more difficult to undermine the coach… ;)
You can undermine the coach much more easily as the VFL coach.

Matt Rosa taking over the VFL program it seems too from Bernard Shepheard. So Rosa replaces both him and Dodoro?

If thats so, it will give Rosa a much better idea on who to keep and who to get rid of with more hands on involvement in the VFL program.

Matt Rosa taking over the VFL program it seems too from Bernard Shepheard. So Rosa replaces both him and Dodoro?

If thats so, it will give Rosa a much better idea on who to keep and who to get rid of with more hands on involvement in the VFL program.
Rosa is AFL talent and operations, so all the paperwork-y stuff, logistics, rosters, budget-y stuff and contract-y stuff I suppose. Middle manager though, not a GM.

Shepheard is an AFLW development coach and the pathways manager as well as head of VFL, so I guess he might pick up more coaching or something to go with it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rosa is AFL talent and operations, so all the paperwork-y stuff, logistics, rosters, budget-y stuff and contract-y stuff I suppose. Middle manager though, not a GM.

Shepheard is an AFLW development coach and the pathways manager as well as head of VFL, so I guess he might pick up more coaching or something to go with it
Shepheard has also been recently appointed as project manager of the Windy Hill Redevelopment too

Isn't Caracella the new coach of the VFL side and not the VFL program?

Why are clubs calling it a program anyway?
Cara is head coach, yes.

Your confusion is probably because we’re setting up a catch-all thread for each program (AFL, AFLW, VFL, VFLW) for everything that doesnt have/need its own thread. This is the new VFL program thread. “program” includes off field stuff, psychologists, dieticians, trainers, doctors, analysts, etc. don’t know why they picked that word for it, but I can’t think of a better one.

Cara is dominating the overall mens coaches discussion as well as the vfl program discussion atm.

fyi, Chief is working on updating our thread prefixes on the bombers board which should make it a bit clearer, but all four program threads will have a “Footy Dept.” prefix (tag, currently ‘News’). There’s also a couple of other new prefixes as well which you’ll see a little bit soon (nothing too drastic), plus you’ll probably see more of the general bombers talk prefix too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back