Footy Dept. AFL Program Dan McPherson & associates: 2024 soft cap changes

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Talent & Operations Manager - Matt Rosa
National Recruiting Manager - Rob Forster-Knight
Scouting team - Rohan O’Brien

Coaching Innovation & Strategy Manager – David Rath
Head of Psychology and Wellbeing – Dr Ben Robbins

Performance Coach – Jona Segal (part-time, Strength & Conditioning Coach & Overseeing Dietician Services)

Last edited:
David Rath is Coaching Innovation & Strategy Manager. Comes from the Wallabies (after their World Cup campaign is done). Was at the Hawks during their threepeat.

Dr Ben Robbins as Head of Psychology and Wellbeing. PhD in Clinical Psych focusing on professional athletes, was at North when Scott was and has been at the Saints since.

Essendon is excited to announce the appointment of experienced football strategist David Rath to the position of Coaching Innovation & Game Strategy Manager and Dr Ben Robbins to the role of Head of Psychology and Wellbeing.

The highly experienced bio-mechanist and strategist, Rath, will join Essendon following his stint as Learning Coordinator with the Wallabies this year. He will start at Essendon following the conclusion of the Wallabies 2023 Rugby World Cup Campaign in France.

Rath has spent more than two decades in the AFL industry, working at Hawthorn during their Premiership era before joining the AFL as Head of Coaching and Innovation. More recently, Rath spent three years at St Kilda as Head of Football.

“I have always held Essendon in high regard and the opportunity to join the club as it moves into a new era is a really exciting opportunity,” Rath said.

“I’ve loved my time with Eddie Jones and the Wallabies, but AFL is my passion and love and I look forward to working with Brad and his team to give the players the best opportunity to win.”

Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo said Rath was a great appointment.

“David is a highly regarded football strategist who has been an integral member of successful football programs throughout his journey. We are always looking at ways to innovate and improve the capability within our football program and we are excited to have David on board to assist in these key areas,” Vozzo said.

Dr Robbins joins the Bombers after spending the past four seasons at St Kilda. Prior to St Kilda, Dr Robbins was at North Melbourne for five seasons as a mentor to the club’s leadership program with Brad Scott.

“I’m really excited to be joining Essendon at a time of great growth and opportunity for the club,” Robbins said.

“Football can be very challenging on the mind and my role is to proactively support mental health and provide players the tools to aid their on-field performances. I look forward to re-connecting with Brad (Scott), his coaching team and building great relationships with the playing group and entire club.”

Robbins holds a PhD in Clinical Psychology, with his doctorate investigating the psychological wellbeing of professional athletes. He played 92 games for the Brisbane Bears, Brisbane Lions and Kangaroos between 1996 and 2003.

Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo welcomed Dr Robbins and his family to Essendon.

“Ben brings great experience and knowledge to Essendon and as a football club we’re committed to improving the wellbeing and performance outcomes of our players and staff,” Vozzo said.

“We are continuing to strengthen our football department and we look forward to welcoming David, Ben and their families to the Bombers.”

Rath and Robbins will start at Essendon in the coming weeks.

Rath used to be at the Hawks, various AFL roles, St Kilda and Rugby Australia. Experienced administrator
Robbins is heading up the mental health and wellbeing part of the club

Welcome both

Have we ever had a Head of Psychology and Wellbeing?

Also, the appointment of Rath has us starting to feel like a place where former North Melbourne people kind find work. Although his success working with Hawthorn is notable, what's he achieved since? St Kilda and the Wallabies have both been... struggling.

Have we ever had a Head of Psychology and Wellbeing?

Also, the appointment of Rath has us starting to feel like a place where former North Melbourne people kind find work. Although his success working with Hawthorn is notable, what's he achieved since? St Kilda and the Wallabies have both been... struggling.
Wouldnt pay much attention to his time at the wallabies. Appointed in March 2023 and already wants out, Eddie Jones is a meglomaniac that burns through assistant coaches because he is so difficult to deal with.

Really excited for those appointments.

Saw some footage of Ben Robbins at the Saints. Literally sits on the sidelines and would chat and offer support (particularly during the younger players) during their games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Robbins played with Brad Scott back in the Brisbane Lions days.

Quick look at his LinkedIn says he was the head of coaching for the Hawks for 15 years, briefly worked at the AFL, then 4 years at St Kilda and the past 6 months at Rugby Australia

Season 1 Nbc GIF by The Good Place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back