Footy Dept. AFL Program Dan McPherson & associates: 2024 soft cap changes

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Talent & Operations Manager - Matt Rosa
National Recruiting Manager - Rob Forster-Knight
Scouting team - Rohan O’Brien

Coaching Innovation & Strategy Manager – David Rath
Head of Psychology and Wellbeing – Dr Ben Robbins

Performance Coach – Jona Segal (part-time, Strength & Conditioning Coach & Overseeing Dietician Services)

Last edited:
From the club's media release:
The Club is extremely pleased to announce the appointment of Matt Rosa to the position of AFL Talent & Operations Manager.
Rosa played 207 AFL games across 14 seasons for the West Coast Eagles and the Gold Coast SUNS. Post his retirement as a player, he joined the West Coast Eagles coaching team for two seasons.
More recently, Rosa has spent the past three years as General Manager – Football Operations of the Peel Thunder FC in the WAFL, which is the Fremantle Dockers alignment club.
In his time at Peel Thunder, he has overseen a significant period of change, assisting the transformation of the Club’s list management strategy, culture and performance, culminating in Peel’s appearance in this weekend’s senior WAFL Grand Final.
Rosa is a well credentialed leader who has always invested heavily in his own development and is well positioned for a successful career in AFL list management and administration.
He will relocate to Melbourne with his young family and commence in the role as the club’s AFL Talent & Operations Manager in the pre-Christmas period, ahead of the 2024 AFL Season.
Essendon CEO Craig Vozzo said Rosa was an excellent fit for the Club.
“Matt is a high-quality person and leader, and he has worked extremely hard to prepare himself for this important role. He has done the hard yards to develop a broad skillset and expertise. We are excited to have Matt on board to lead our Talent, List Strategy and Operations functions moving forward and we look forward to welcoming him, Hayley and their 3 children to the Club,” Vozzo said.
Rosa said he was excited about the opportunity at the Bombers.
“After going through a thorough process, it is clear there is a strong commitment to do the hard work required to set up a period of sustained success. I’m looking forward to being part of that journey,” Rosa said.
“This is a great opportunity for me and I’m excited to be able to build upon a talented young list and help this Club strive for success. Essendon is a special club with a rich football history and my family and I are excited to be part of its future.”

"I sat on the panel to assist in the selection of Matt, and I believe he will be an outstanding acquisition to the Club for years to come. I look forward to working with Matt moving forward”

Of course the cheeky bugger handpicked his Italian replacement on the way out.

Interesting appointment - limited experience at AFL level. Doesn’t mean he’s not a jet but he’s certainly not a proven quantity.

Vozzo knows him well however so I guess we have to trust his judgment.

Based on his title as "AFL Talent & Operations Manager":

AFL – not AFLW and probably not VFL or VFLW

Talent – obviously AFL player related, some of Dodoro's responsibilities in talent acquisition & pastoral care stuff for the players?

Operations – operations for the AFL program, some of Mahoney's responsibilities

Manager – NOT a General Manager.

So combining two GM roles into a lower level position, either below Dan McPherson who is currently GM of Performance which would be weird given that operations and talent don't really fit under 'performance', or else McPherson gets a slight change of responsibilities and becomes GM - Football.

🤔

Based on his title as "AFL Talent & Operations Manager":

AFL – not AFLW and probably not VFL or VFLW

Talent – obviously AFL player related, some of Dodoro's responsibilities in talent acquisition & pastoral care stuff for the players?

Operations – operations for the AFL program, some of Mahoney's responsibilities

Manager – NOT a General Manager.

So combining two GM roles into a lower level position, either below Dan McPherson who is currently GM of Performance which would be weird given that operations and talent don't really fit under 'performance', or else McPherson gets a slight change of responsibilities and becomes GM - Football.

🤔

I see many dotted lines on the org chart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s Peel Thunders list like? Heavy on smaller midfielders, in between flankers and either not quite tall enough or not quite heavy enough KPP’s?

A lot of the gaps not filled by Freo players are mid-sized guys. Not too many that would get drafted other than Clay Hall, maybe Michael Sellwood. Can't see any of the mature guys getting a call up to AFL but you never know

A lot of the gaps not filled by Freo players are mid-sized guys. Not too many that would get drafted other than Clay Hall, maybe Michael Sellwood. Can't see any of the mature guys getting a call up to AFL but you never know

Sorry that was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment about the current EFC list and Dodoro’s drafting habits!

It is good to hear anything you’ve got to say on Rosa, he’s a bit of an unknown quantity to us out East!

I've done a bit of work down at Peel this year. The players absolutely love him, will be a massive loss for Peel but a seriously good get. It was inevitable an AFL club would get him, he's clearly a class above state league footy. You've done well

Who's this Matt Rosa fella? Is it the former WC & GC player? Has he been a list manager before? Been involved in recruitment at AFL level before? 🤷‍♂️

Hope he goes well, but not sure what to expect tbh.

Ding Dong The Wicked Witch Is Dead GIF

Has been massive for the club culture down at Peel, one of the main reasons they made the grand final this year. This is a good get, was hoping Freo would get him in
This gives me genuine, unbridled optimism for the Bombers for the first time since the saga.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back