Coach Men's Coaches 2024 - Ringing in the changes for next year

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Senior Coach: Brad Scott (thread)
reports to the Chief Executive Officer
  • Ben Jacobs – Assistant Coach (Defence)
  • Daniel Giansiracusa – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Brent Stanton – Assistant Coach (Midfield)
  • Dale Tapping – Assistant Coach (Forwards)

Head of Development: Cam Roberts
reports to the General Manager, AFL
  • Travis Cloke – Development Coach (Forwards) & VFLW Head Coach (VFLW thread)
  • Michael Hurley – Development Coach (Backline), Jack Jones Academy & Player Welfare
  • Natalie Wood – Development Coach (Teaching & Education) & AFLW Senior Coach (Coach thread)

VFL Senior Coach: Blake Caracella (VFL thread)
  • Adam Potter – VFL Assistant Coach

Last edited:
Is the VFL just for developing players basic stuff like GPS numbers and basic skills, or is it supposed to implement the same gameplan as the AFL so that they learn the roles they need to learn to plug and play in the AFL side?
Probably both. You'd want consistency in the program, but also you might have players working on things you wouldn't expose them to at AFL level yet. And that's where a head of development would tell the VFL coach what's going on, and they can work out how that integrates with Nick Carter and the like.

Is the VFL just for developing players basic stuff like GPS numbers and basic skills, or is it supposed to implement the same gameplan as the AFL so that they learn the roles they need to learn to plug and play in the AFL side?
If it is working well it is game plan and plug and play just as much as basic player development.

Probably both. You'd want consistency in the program, but also you might have players working on things you wouldn't expose them to at AFL level yet. And that's where a head of development would tell the VFL coach what's going on, and they can work out how that integrates with Nick Carter and the like.
Would be okay if you are coaching a aligned team where there is actually a bigger bunch of VFL players.
There is little point is having a VFL coach looking after 15 players and taking instruction about the AFL listed players.
Our VFL system is primarily player development so it makes sense to have the coach well involved with development.
Best way for me is having the coach with his finger right on the pulse rather than getting second hand messages about playing style and needs .

Last edited:

Would be okay if you are coaching a aligned team where there is actually a bigger bunch of VFL players.
There is little point is having a VFL coach looking after 15 players and taking instruction about the AFL listed players.
Our VFL system is primarily player development so it makes sense to have the coach well involved with development.
It'd be more than 15, and I fail to see how they wouldn't be completely checked out when there isn't really a coach who is coach.

I know a couple of decades back at Geelong there was a really good support from local level with the VFL team. Players probably seen it as a way they could develop their own game. How do you get that level of investment when the coach is supposed to be more focussed on guys not even playing in your team rather than you?

A club I left once had a coach in a development/recruiting role at an AFL club and, for me, it took the soul out of the joint. And this was a place with famous names on the lockers including a hero of mine.

Best way for me is having the coach with his finger right on the pulse rather than getting second hand messages about playing style and needs .
I think the only way this can be viewed as a step up for Cara is if he’s heavily involved with the AFL game plan or something.

Problem is he’s more of a strategist than a game plan expert, so heading up the VFL side is not getting the best out of him for the AFL side.

Someone who doesn’t communicate well isn’t a development coach, they’re an opposition analyst and strategy bloke that should be in the coaches box on game day but not fronting the players.

I think the only way this can be viewed as a step up for Cara is if he’s heavily involved with the AFL game plan or something.

Problem is he’s more of a strategist than a game plan expert, so heading up the VFL side is not getting the best out of him for the AFL side.

Someone who doesn’t communicate well isn’t a development coach, they’re an opposition analyst and strategy bloke that should be in the coaches box on game day but not fronting the players.
Just do not see it that way at all . He will be still involved in planning for the AFL side . The only difference is he will not always be involved on AFL match day . This year he was only backline coach.

Last edited:
Just do not see it that way at all .
I just don’t think it adds up. It’s not the career move Cara would choose for himself, and it’s not the best use of resources for the benefit of the AFL side.

The best you could say is that he’s surplus and they’re trying to find a spot for him that doesn’t look like a demotion of a favourite son.

I just don’t think it adds up. It’s not the career move Cara would choose for himself, and it’s not the best use of resources for the benefit of the AFL side.

The best you could say is that he’s surplus and they’re trying to find a spot for him that doesn’t look like a demotion of a favourite son.
My immediate thoughts were they'd found something he could do out of the way to see out a contract.

Why would he do it if it's a demotion? It's not like he couldn't pick up an assistant job elsewhere.
I'd say we are trying to prioritise development, knowing full well we have a large cohort of young unproven talent that need to step up if we are going to be anywhere near relevant in the in five years.

How you read it really depend on what Cara is wanting to do - and I don't think we know that just yet. It is possible he just wanted a change from line coaching to overseeing a whole team.

Either way I'm glad we have someone in there who has some credibility.

That's if you think the VFL and player development is a line under line coach. That is not what the review said. It said more needed to be done with development and the VFL. They are putting an experienced operator in control of a vital part of how we move forward.

My immediate thoughts were they'd found something he could do out of the way to see out a contract.
And you would be wrong as part of the review was to improve the VFL system and player development which is why they put Tudor back into the VFL role as well as his role in player development. it is 100% not a spot they are pushing people sideways into or out of the way. Our set up is one that several clubs use and that is the VFL coach plays a very big role in player development . If he was bad enough to move sideways the move would be sideways out the gate and down Melrose Drive.

And you would be wrong as part of the review was to improve the VFL system and player development which is why they put Tudor back into the VFL role as well as his role in player development. it is 100% not a spot they are pushing people sideways into or out of the way. Our set up is one that several clubs use and that is the VFL coach plays a very big role in player development . If he was bad enough to move sideways the move would be sideways out the gate and down Melrose Drive.
Which review?

Which review?
The same review that saw us hire more part time development coaches and put Tudor back as VFL coach along with his role as development coach rather than having Stanton as VFL coach with a limited development role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would he do it if it's a demotion? It's not like he couldn't pick up an assistant job elsewhere.
I'd say we are trying to prioritise development, knowing full well we have a large cohort of young unproven talent that need to step up if we are going to be anywhere near relevant in the in five years.

How you read it really depend on what Cara is wanting to do - and I don't think we know that just yet. It is possible he just wanted a change from line coaching to overseeing a whole team.

Either way I'm glad we have someone in there who has some credibility.
Yep.. and he was always a little hesitant to go into head coach role. Maybe he now wants to experience it in VFL to see if something he wants to do eventually

So nothing to do with what Scott or Vozzo have set up?
It is what they are following. Barham followed up on that one. Vozzo has just changed the coach in the VFL. It is why they are spending over the soft cap. I am not saying it is 100% the right choice but I am saying they have 100% not moved someone sideways to VFL coach to put them out of the way after identifying player development as a major issue.

Yep.. and he was always a little hesitant to go into head coach role. Maybe he now wants to experience it in VFL to see if something he wants to do eventually
Maybe it becomes another skill set if he also looks at a GM of performance role at some stage.:cool:

Do you think this is where Caracalla is headed?
I have no idea where he is headed but it is obviously another thing in football he is now taking on .

Both really, well that’s what the good programs do
I raise this question because I'm curious what sort of autonomy Cara really has, and whether the move to VFL coaching can be framed as career growth.

If he'd taken over at Williamstown or something he'd have genuine autonomy and could take home all the credit of any success they might have.

But in this context, any VFL success goes to the development program as a whole, while credit for the game plan goes mostly to Scott... The credit that is solely his own is whether he's managed to get them to implement Scott's plan better/worse than Scott has. 🤷‍♀️

I raise this question because I'm curious what sort of autonomy Cara really has, and whether the move to VFL coaching can be framed as career growth.

If he'd taken over at Williamstown or something he'd have genuine autonomy and could take home all the credit of any success they might have.

But in this context, any VFL success goes to the development program as a whole, while credit for the game plan goes mostly to Scott... The credit that is solely his own is whether he's managed to get them to implement Scott's plan better/worse than Scott has. 🤷‍♀️
I don’t think it’s for career growth, but it is a new challenge for him and also the vfl has been identified as an area of the club that needs a significant overhaul and proper resources put into it. Whatever plan is being implemented you’re still the coach on game day, you’re still the one in charge of gelling the afl and vfl boys and team cohesion. Mccrae was just implementing the dimma game plan at Richmond but it’s been highly spoken of the culture he built with the reserve boys and also the 25-44 players on the list.

Then why not get a designated coach for VFL and leave Cara in charge of ball movement for the AFL side?

Cara is very good technical coach and especially with strategy but he's a poor communicator to players. I'm not sure how his skillset would translate to being a suitable VFL coach more so than his current role.
Maybe it gives him an opportunity to work on other things, like his communication to players. While also bolstering the VFL program with more experience rather than leaving it floundering.

Maybe it gives him an opportunity to work on other things, like his communication to players. While also bolstering the VFL program with more experience rather than leaving it floundering.

Our ball movement hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire either since he's come onboard, though I don't think he was in that specific role this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back