Traded 10. Sarah Hosking

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sad. She's one of my favourites.
Yeah, I think it's going to be sad whenever any of our foundation players leave. In Sarah's case, I would have preferred she got to play in a flag winning team before moving on. She seemed so invested in he club.

She's all class. A foundation Blue and she'll be remembered as such.

Still, to get a top 10 pick for her and hold two inside the top 10 (taking into account zoning) is a strong hand on day one of the trade period.

Sarah will leave a big hole but I suspect we'll effectively be swapping her for O'Dea which is a really good result. Wait and see how that trade goes down.

Looking forward to seeing the twins go up against each other next season.

None of them are. Loyalty to clubs is a long way off.

We're very much still in the mercenary stage and will be for quite a while.
I don't think thats entirely correct.

Kerryn Harrington and Katie Loynes who are lifelong Carlton supporters would be a example of two who i don't think would be leaving for a little bit more money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm betting with Sarah, it was about a job. Carlton had employed her lately in admin. Reckon Richmond might have offered something in their community development program.

And its likely to be the issue with lots of players. Especially in these covid affected circumstances. Like everyone else they need to support family and friends and themselves. I doubt the part time rookie wage does that.

I don't think thats entirely correct.

Kerryn Harrington and Katie Loynes who are lifelong Carlton supporters would be a example of two who i don't think would be leaving for a little bit more money.

Very small sample size from a large list.

That just shows the loyalty factor is still at minimal levels for anyone who is at a club they didn't support.

I agree that it's likely Sarah was offered some kind of paid position at the club to complement her playing role, which may help her career longer term. The Puma connection most likely helped as well - Richmond seem to have a stronger relationship with them than we do.

Who knows, maybe Sarah is a Richmond fan. She and Jess are pictured in their old pre-draft photos in what looks like Tigers gear (not that that necessarily means anything).

The Hoskings (as well as Nat Plane) played for the Seaford Tigerettes in the VWFL, which has the same strip as Richmond. I have no idea who they barracked for pre-draft though, so they could well be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back