Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

I've been wondering if Papley is missing Buddy in the forward line. He seemed to have really good chemistry with him, with the two of them often linking up for goals. Also, I imagine as a small forward you have an easier time getting to the drop of the ball when you have a key forward like Buddy who commands more of the forward 50 entries.

I don't see any of this as an issue with our offense over all as I think we're going brilliantly right now. Just pondering if maybe that's part of the reason for Paps dip in form this year.

I've been wondering if Papley is missing Buddy in the forward line. He seemed to have really good chemistry with him, with the two of them often linking up for goals. Also, I imagine as a small forward you have an easier time getting to the drop of the ball when you have a key forward like Buddy who commands more of the forward 50 entries.

I don't see any of this as an issue with our offense over all as I think we're going brilliantly right now. Just pondering if maybe that's part of the reason for Paps dip in form this year.
Our 3 key mids have kicked 30 goals pushing forward , so maybe it's a whole new set up , but Amartey is no Buddy

What took you so long. Rampe , Logan , Lloyd and of course Amartey had no tackles

Are you Tom's dad?

He is a great forward line pressure player at his best, he isn't doing it as much currently.

Amartey Logan Lloyd Rampe don't play the same role.

You don't control which players can be criticised and which don't .

You must have this thread on red alert to protect Tommy can do no Wrong.

Like i said he is going fine, but he isn't at his best and the lack of pressure is one aspect. Wicks is covering him.

Are you Tom's dad?

He is a great forward line pressure player at his best, he isn't doing it as much currently.

Like i said he is going fine, but he isn't at his best and the lack of pressure is one aspect. Wicks is covering him.
No , his dad is with him atm spent the weekend in Sydney

Are you Tom's dad?

Wicks in nowhere near covering him and give me your reasons how 14 to 8 pos. 2 tackles each , score involvements 5 to 3 , 1 1 to 0 1, 5 each contested poss. He needs a bigger blanket to cover him and i want Wicks in the team .
I just asked where have you been ?

Wicks in nowhere near covering him and give me your reasons how 14 to 8 pos. 2 tackles each , score involvements 5 to 3 , 1 1 to 0 1, 5 each contested poss. He needs a bigger blanket to cover him and i want Wicks in the team .
I just asked where have you been ?

watch the games mate don't read the stats

Wicks general pressure and tackling is massive for the side, balls just pings out without him.

Not saying he is a better player than Papley, just his pressure covers the fact Paps isn't doing as much dirty work, hence wondering if he is hurt.

I've been to london to visit the Queen.

watch the games mate don't read the stats

Wicks general pressure and tackling is massive for the side, balls just pings out without him.

Not saying he is a better player than Papley, just his pressure covers the fact Paps isn't doing as much dirty work, hence wondering if he is hurt.

I've been to london to visit the Queen.
Horse head

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks to be lacking a bit of pace so I'd say injured. Could probably use a run in the 2s but I don't think we have any options to replace him really.

I presume he is carrying something in all seriousness .

Parker in? not like for like

Though we have a bye soon.

Don't want him dropped, but don't think he's contributing to his absolute best. good problem to problem. He'll turn it around and wowee watch out.

His output is down but his effort isn’t. He isn’t spending as much time in the middle and that is making his output look worse. But you’re right that when he does turn it around, watch out.

Not the best conditions for a player of his type tonight....he does fade in and out of games but just looks a bit off and lacking confidence. Hopefully one good game will get him up and about.
With they way we are playing and the spread across the forward line he will get off the chain sooner than later

His decision making has been poor all season.
Rarely takes the first option these days and burns teammates far too often and gets caught far too often.

Early last qtr, ~40 metres out got the ball roving off a contested marking situation and ignored two teammates in space for the handball, instead had a shot for goal which went 15 metres up and 20 metres deep.

Will still look for players, by foot, when clear,but in close his game has dropped right off, in both decision making and execution.

Playing closer to goal and his centre square time has dropped away, so perhaps he is carrying an injury (groin?) as he does seem to lack the explosiveness of old.
But that alone doesn't explain his decision making.

Overall his disposal numbers and goals are pretty much on par, but his tackles and goal assists have dropped away.
Hopefully the bye will allow a reset

Tommy seems down on pace, acceleration and ability to dodge and change in direction. Agree with comments from others about his decision making, below standard pressure and confidence. All this suggests he is carrying a niggle or two. Should we make Finals as it seems we should, a fit and firing Papley is integral to our prospects. I don’t think time in the Ressies is the right call but I reckon he is a prime candidate to get ‘managed’ and see if the niggles can be resolved.

I note Rampe has been at his brilliant best since returning from his forced lay off. I also feel very sorry for the Oppo when Parker returns to the team.

Don't want him dropped for real but he gets a golden pass with the fans, his effort is way down. He spectates at contest , so many weak efforts last night, not like him at all. I actually think he is carrying something because he doesn't seem to trust his body.

We need him fit and firing to win a flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back