Autopsy Round 16: It’s like kissing your sister

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone missed sitters.

it’s not feedback. are you are a coach ? It’s just people venting - which I get. I’ve been flat all day and I have assumed we’d miss finals since round 4.

but my god whats the point of venting on fox specifically. Gulden turns the ball over. Blakey got caught holding the ball. amartey McLean McDonald dropped marks. Mistakes were made all night. The entire forward line missed shot after shot.

if we’d been 50 points up at half time fox’s miss is irrelevant

Or if Fox hadn’t butchered his second quarter chances his end of game shocker wouldn’t have mattered so much

Loved the smart McLean pass to him for his second goal.
McLean marked the ball inside the point post about 2m out from the goal line. An easy snap for goal.
Passed it to Campbell who had to kick from 45m+ on an angle on a very windy night when everyone from both sides struggled to kick straight.
Campbell had the much harder kick.

McLean marked the ball inside the point post about 2m out from the goal line. An easy snap for goal.
Passed it to Campbell who had to kick from 45m+ on an angle on a very windy night when everyone from both sides struggled to kick straight.

Campbell was never going to miss.

McLean was 50-50. Would back him usually but think he has a minor dose of the yips.

Kudos to McLean for recognising his limitation, picked the absolute best option.

I'm not joining in the handwringing. We turned up for four quarters for once and played them off the park. Fantastic ball movement. Sliced them up again and again, and got the Geelong monkey off our back. Terrible goalkicking but it's not chronic. With this sort of consistent effort and the refurn of Buddy, Chad, McCartin, we should be able to give the finals a shake.
Seriously, who kisses their sister?

I'm not joining in the handwringing. We turned up for four quarters for once and played them off the park. Fantastic ball movement. Sliced them up again and again, and got the Geelong monkey off our back. Terrible goalkicking but it's not chronic. With this sort of consistent effort and the refurn of Buddy, Chad, McCartin, we should be able to give the finals a shake.
That's a bail out. With the season on the line, against the mob that has humiliated us, it's not good enough. The leaders od the club failed the team

i never had a sister ... i had had to kiss other people's sisters

Last edited:
The whole goal kicking inaccuracy thing is quite simple. Both sides suffered from not being able to adapt and allow for conditions. We just looked worse because we pretty much dominated play except for small periods and had a shitload more scoring opportunities. It’s bad football much the same as players not adapting to damp under foot surfaces where they wear the wrong footwear. Needs to adapt to everything thrown at you.

The fact that he couldn’t take a contested mark says that Melican did compete well.
This has always been Melican's issue IMO. In a contest, he holds his own and is actually reasonable with ball in hand.

The problem is that he simply lets his opponent off the chain far too often. I don't know if its lack of instincts, anticipation, or speed, or maybe a combination of all of them.

Last edited:
This has always been Melican's issue IMO. In a contest, he holds is own and is actually reasonable with ball in hand.

The problem is that he simply lets his opponent off the chain far too often. I don't know if its lack of instincts, anticipation, or speed, or maybe a combination of all of them.
Spot On. Its the one thing that stands out in his poor games. Gets led to the ball far to often. He was ok last night but there was one glaring one where it was highlighted again. The bonus is though as you say he is more than adequate in other areas of the game and his problem is coachable. Defensive coaches need to work on his starting position with opposition ball in hand. Worst case scenario is he could lack the footy smarts/ anticipation as you say but improvement would make him a solid defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am quite happy with what Melican has done since returning to the senior lineup. He has held his own and has done a lot of things right. I dare say, even if we do bring in a better defender, I would be happy to offer him another contract as he has proven to be a good depth player. I was convinced he would bomb out this season, but I am glad to be proven wrong.

I am quite happy with what Melican has done since returning to the senior lineup. He has held his own and has done a lot of things right. I dare say, even if we do bring in a better defender, I would be happy to offer him another contract as he has proven to be a good depth player. I was convinced he would bomb out this season, but I am glad to be proven wrong.
He's ahead of Francis imo. Not by a massive margin, but been better since his return. Francis being contracted matters though, so if it gets to the trade period and we're chasing KPDs, Arnold looks good and is locked in etc, Melican might want to find a club that will play him in the 22 next year.

Everyone missed sitters.

it’s not feedback. are you are a coach ? It’s just people venting - which I get. I’ve been flat all day and I have assumed we’d miss finals since round 4.

but my god whats the point of venting on fox specifically. Gulden turns the ball over. Blakey got caught holding the ball. amartey McLean McDonald dropped marks. Mistakes were made all night. The entire forward line missed shot after shot.

if we’d been 50 points up at half time fox’s miss is irrelevant
Thoughts, melts, feedback, opinions, whatever you want to call it.

Your point is that we shouldn’t focus on a particular error because it happened at the end of the game, there were plenty of other errors throughout the game.

We should have been in front and the miss wouldn’t have hurt as much.

It was almost Florent like in that it looked for all intents and purposes a goal and was almost off celebrating until the realisation it wasn’t.

It should have been finished off, Papley was another large error in last quarter, going for a big snap when he had 2 other options that would have been a goal.

Fox shouldn’t be called out in isolation, I think Heeney, Hickey and Fox were equally culpable with being experienced players and not finishing off. The Fox miss was the hardest to swallow is all. Hickeys 2 misses were the worst and Heeney was the most wasteful.

Onwards and upwards, big game v Richmond Thursday night, hopefully the boys can practice goal kicking and improve our conversion rate.

While we didn't win, we didn't loss either.

Gemma Bastiani, who apparently is a Swans supporter, wrote on AFL that the Cats dominated after half time. I must have seen a different match. In the third they had more of thx ball. In the last I thought we did but wasted it. The inside 50 was even but we spent more time inside 50, more contested possession in the second half.

What they had was four cheats trying to do anythjng the could to get Cats over the line. The frees in the match as a whole, 1 up until half time, yet we lead all stats including tackles, except frees. Then there was the Melican DOB. Francis dangerous tackle not paid. We could not buy a holding the ball even though the Cats players dropped the ball every time when tackled. What an absolute joke. The 50 metre penalty was also wrong. The player was never given a warning. This happened in the Brisbane match too. Joe Danniher gof 50 for creeping. But was never asked to move back and the mark was never indicated to him.

We kicked so badly. I can't believe we kicked so badly. It was as if we were trying to lose. But in the end it was the umpiring that kept them close, nearly winning them the match, even with bad kicking.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Amartey's actually more of a ruck than McLean. We used him more at VFL level last year than Hayden (and have in the past at AFL level). Suspect we don't want to risk him as much since his injury return, plus McLean's been doing a decent job as the backup ruck (if not doing a lot up forward or elsewhere).
Probably right about the risk of rucking.
Amartey's hamstring will be risked in his jumping from stationary style and McLean's rucking has improved quite significantly this season.

While we didn't win, we didn't loss either.

Gemma Bastiani, who apparently is a Swans supporter, wrote on AFL that the Cats dominated after half time. I must have seen a different match. In the third they had more of thx ball. In the last I thought we did but wasted it. The inside 50 was even but we spent more time inside 50, more contested possession in the second half.

What they had was four cheats trying to do anythjng the could to get Cats over the line. The frees in the match as a whole, 1 up until half time, yet we lead all stats including tackles, except frees. Then there was the Melican DOB. Francis dangerous tackle not paid. We could not buy a holding the ball even though the Cats players dropped the ball every time when tackled. What an absolute joke. The 50 metre penalty was also wrong. The player was never given a warning. This happened in the Brisbane match too. Joe Danniher gof 50 for creeping. But was never asked to move back and the mark was never indicated to him.

We kicked so badly. I can't believe we kicked so badly. It was as if we were trying to lose. But in the end it was the umpiring that kept them close, nearly winning them the match, even with bad kicking.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm often amazed by how much the umpires are cheating when we lose. Nothing to do with us, of course, because the most logical assumption is that the umpires are all involved in a native conspiracy theory en-masse.

2023 isnt going to be our flag year.

But gee the past 3 weeks give me cause for optimism moving forward:

* Campbell has come of age. Gun.

* Gus has emerged as the inside mid we desperately needed post JPK. Huge showings from a 19 year old.

* Blakey just about the premier rebounding defender in the comp.

* Errol already a potential AA.

* Rowy never has a poor game.

Throw in Chad, Logan and McI - I’m still firmly of a view we have the best young talent in the AFL.

We’re just a couple of key position players away from being a very, very good side in 2024. Better than the side that played a GF.

I’m not too upset at tonight.
Chad has pretty awful this year. I wasn’t fussed at all when they announced his omission. Defensively, you can assume that the opposition will kick two extra goals when he is in the side (such is his inability to tackle). If he is not kicking goals or hitting targets, he is a liability, albeit exciting to watch. Can’t wait for him to improve his defensive game.

I'm often amazed by how much the umpires are cheating when we lose. Nothing to do with us, of course, because the most logical assumption is that the umpires are all involved in a native conspiracy theory en-masse.
Well, no, not that I buy into it anyway, but I think the theory about umpiring is not so much that the whole comp is one huge scam, but that there is deep unconscious bias against non-Vic teams.

Well, no, not that I buy into it anyway, but I think the theory about umpiring is not so much that the whole comp is one huge scam, but that there is deep unconscious bias against non-Vic teams.

yes ... there's no way i'd think umpires are cheating ...
it's the non-calls ... sydney seems to cop a lot of non-calls that in other circumstances, with other teams, are called
holding the ball is one that regularly seems to kill us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back