Player Watch #13 Clayton Oliver – UNPRECEDENTED 4 x B&F, 3 x AA, 2 x AFLCA Winner and Premiership Player

Remove this Banner Ad

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Clayton you're definitely cut

The reality is we wouldn’t have been actually able to trade him for a decent deal. We’d have been getting stuff all and probably paying a sizeable portion of his deal. That’s after a club did its due diligence.

And since then he's ****ed up twice again (that we know of, could be more) , who cares about a return at this point... Just cut him and wear whatever dead cap we have to.

And since then he's ****ed up twice again (that we know of, could be more) , who cares at this point... Just cut him and wear whatever dead cap we have to.
If he keeps stuffing up surely there’s a point where he’s in breach and he can be cut. Stuff paying up for years to come so he can play elsewhere. Plus who wants him now? Has someone got a magic wand to make him behave?

If he keeps stuffing up surely there’s a point where he’s in breach and he can be cut. Stuff paying up for years to come so he can play elsewhere. Plus who wants him now? Has someone got a magic wand to make him behave?

Just cut him like I said. Good luck to any other club if they think they can get him under control. Clearly he's spitting in the clubs face and see's their "last chance" as an empty threat. He's a distraction and just a plain nuicense at this point. All he's doing is bringing the place down and setting a precedent for what we will put up with from other players moving forward.

Just cut him like I said. Good luck to any other club if they think they can get him under control. Clearly he's spitting in the clubs face and see's their "last chance" as an empty threat. He's a distraction and just a plain nuicense at this point. All he's doing is bringing the place down and setting a precedent for what we will put up with from other players moving forward.

Lol bit over the top mate.

Lol bit over the top mate.
Not really, when is the last chance the last chance? You dont think other players are side eyeing how we've let him get away with things while knowing if it was them they know they'd be out the door? These are the types of things that can ruin culture (assuming we still have any)

We sent a strong message when we cut Bennell that we wont tolerate s**t in 2020 and won a flag the very next year. Now it feels like we are back to that exact point again and we wont pull the trigger. I understand its far more complex coz of the contract situation and talent but there is something in that.

Not really, when is the last chance the last chance? You dont think other players are side eyeing how we've let him get away with things while knowing if it was them they know they'd be out the door? These are the types of things that can ruin culture (assuming we still have any)

Nah, really. As I've said before, it's pretty clear the atmosphere has changed in the AFL in how they deal with problematic periods for players. DeGoey had more off field incidents than Clarry, Pies stuck by him and sorted him out rather than cutting him for no return and it worked out superbly for them.

Of course there's a line, but it's nowhere near that at the moment. What 'things' has he 'gotten away with' that are actual facts? As far as what we actually know, there was the tattoo/foot infection - which was more dumb than sinister, and the being sent home from training camp. The driving without a license I reckon will end up being a nothing story, which it's close to anyway, and everything else is just rumours; mostly from BigFooty.

Hardly think that's evidence enough to ditch a $7 million investment for no return. I know everyone here wants to go the hardest with their comments, but that's pretty clearly an over the top approach.

Last edited:
We sent a strong message when we cut Bennell that we wont tolerate s**t in 2020 and won a flag the very next year. Now it feels like we are back to that exact point again and we wont pull the trigger. I understand its far more complex coz of the contract situation and talent but there is something in that.

Lol so now we won a flag because we delisted a rookie who played 5 games? Come off it mate, getting a bit silly now.

Completely missing the point in the investment context of the situation.

Lol so now we won a flag because we delisted a rookie who played 5 games? Come off it mate, getting a bit silly now.

Completely missing the point in the investment context of the situation.
Not my point, a player who played up was made an example of. Seems all we do is play up these days. If we didnt have all these off field distractions and drama would we be better off? Clearly yes. I get the cap situation, thats why I said its far more complex but its not too far of a reach. The tail is wagging the dog now while back then Goody and Pert weren't viewed as push overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway, im sure hell survive the season on the list, if drama continues they'll work out something next offseason. I just dont see us getting anything in return and reckon youre better off removing the cancer now than waiting. Will leave it there.

Bennell had a high list of indiscretions and was aware we he came to the club any heck ups would not be tolerated

Oliver who's come to the club via the draft but is building a list, and i would suspect he is walking a fine line now

That said and not to go full Dan mode, there are some people wanting to turf Oliver out quickly that are the same people that thought that Bennell would be a good pick up despite the clear already established red flags. I'm not defending Oliver's behaviour because it is clearly sub par and an issue, just something i find a tad amusing.

It's really for the club and player to sort out at this point, we'll see how it all plays out, but not ideal in the meantime. It's more than a game and Oliver needs help, but he needs to be the one to take some of those steps. On the AFL side of things alone would be a major waste of his abilities, but that isn't the priority

Not my point, a player who played up was made an example of. Seems all we do is play up these days. If we didnt have all these off field distractions and drama would we be better off? Clearly yes. I get the cap situation, thats why I said its far more complex but its not too far of a reach. The tail is wagging the dog now while back then Goody and Pert weren't viewed as push overs.

"All these off field distractions and drama" is the criteria hey? So May will be delisted then naturally. Melksham too. Gawn used to be a ratbag, better delist now before that wrecks the culture. Kozzy and Spargo? Gone. Better preemptively delist Tholstrup, seems to much of a risky character.

Just silly mate.

"All these off field distractions and drama" is the criteria hey? So May will be delisted then naturally. Melksham too. Gawn used to be a ratbag, better delist now before that wrecks the culture. Kozzy and Spargo? Gone. Better preemptively delist Tholstrup, seems to much of a risky character.

Just silly mate.
A public "last chance" statement would seem to indicate this isn't like any of the others. Cant remember any of the others getting that from the club.

A public "last chance" statement would seem to indicate this isn't like any of the others. Cant remember any of the others getting that from the club.

Where exactly did the club publicly say "last chance"? Can you quote that pls.

Bennell was around for 5 minutes and was recruited as a know risk in terms of behaviour. Hardly comparable.
As I’ve said if there’s behavioural clauses in the Oliver contract there’ll come a time where the whole thing could be torn up. But can see the club backing him in. Totally agree he needs to come to the party also.

Where exactly did the club publicly say "last chance"? Can you quote that pls.
I take it back, I was sure the club said this but cant find it so assume they didnt.

I take it back, I was sure the club said this but cant find it so assume they didnt.

The last round of comments from Richo and Pert, after the Lorne stuff, was:

“Clayton is taking a break as he continues to deal with some issues. We are continuing to support Clayton and managing his program in a way that prioritises his health and wellbeing,” Richardson said.

“His teammates and staff remain confident he is making good progress.”

“The club has been aware of and supporting Clayton with his personal circumstances for some time and is committed to continuing to do so,” Pert said.

“While club leaders focus on the care and support Clayton needs, we also have a responsibility to uphold our strong club culture for the benefit of all our players and staff.”

More sounds like: There's issues, so he's not off the hook, but we're also trying to fix them.

I don't think it was publicly said, but a lot of reporting gives that vibe

But also just a vibe

You'd think they would absolutely be protecting him in public but laying down the law in private, but personally don't think there would be a 'last chance' vibe being given to him. You can only do that once.

You'd think they would absolutely be protecting him in public but laying down the law in private, but personally don't think there would be a 'last chance' vibe being given to him. You can only do that once.
I also didn't mention us, it's how the media have reported it. Particularly with wording during trade week with 'shape up or ship out'

But internally i do think Clarry is probably walking a fine line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back