Traded #13: Orazio Fantasia - Off to Carlton as a delisted free agent, scored a 2 year deal?

Would you take Razzle Dazzle back at the Hangar?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-07-18/fantasia-earns-nomination

Essendon coach, John Worsfold, said the nomination was a fitting reward for Fantasia who has enjoyed a consistent season of senior football.

“Orazio is one of our exciting younger players who is thriving on the challenge and demands of performing at senior level,” Worsfold said.

“His development to date has been impressive, he has a deep hunger to be better, learn and improve with each game.

“Orazio has explosive speed, composure under pressure and a great sense for goal.

“Orazio is an important part of our team structure, and we believe he has an extremely bright future ahead of him.”

Orazio Fantasia wins rare second Rising Star nomination as he looks forward to Essendon’s bright future
cdd62cfbd3b1843f45de3ba087b0a496

SAM LANDSBERGER, Herald Sun
4 minutes ago
cdd62cfbd3b1843f45de3ba087b0a496

ESSENDON had just two shots at navigating its crippling draft penalties in 2013 — and on Monday night its speculative selection was again rewarded.

Orazio Fantasia pocketed a rare second Rising Star nomination in another coup for the Bombers’ shrewd recruiting since the drugs saga exploded.

Dons list chief Adrian Dodoro plucked Fantasia at No.55 after taking midfield star Zach Merrett in a heist at No.26.

Fantasia is just the 10th player in AFL history to win dual nominations.

The goalsneak won the final Rising Star nomination in 2015 and remained eligible because he began this year aged under 21 with less than 11 games to his name.

In a unique start to his career, Fantasia has played under four AFL coaches in three seasons, for three wins and two Rising Star nominations.

Fantasia, 20, slotted three first-half goals against Richmond on Saturday to take his tally to 11 in his past four games.

He booted 4.4 in the spirited loss to GWS and has been one of the shining lights in a dark season.

17a25bade1c01cb7ce421ecf7be5a5d6

Orazio Fantasia has been nominated for the Rising Star award for a second time. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
The South Australian — named of his Italian grandfather — is suddenly within five goals of Joe Daniher and could rattle home to pinch the club’s goalkicking title.

He would be the smallest Bomber to win the award since Alan Ezard in 1986.

And the 177cm forward is confident all of his suspended teammates will return next season.

“I’m pretty confident we’ll retain Hurls (Michael Hurley) and Hibbo (Michael Hibberd),” he told the Herald Sun.

“So if we get those two back and Hooksy (Cale Hooker) up forward and Dyso (Dyson Heppell) and hopefully Stants (Brent Stanton), Jobe (Watson) and (David) Myersy running back through the midfield it’s pretty darn exciting.

“And then you’ve got (Darcy) Parish and Zachy Merrett and Joey, so it’s looking really good.

“I’ve spoken to them a little bit but it’s obviously not really right to bombard them.

“We’ve just got to let them enjoy their time but I can’t wait to see them when they’re back.

The Herald Sun last week reported that Hibberd is likely to request a trade to Melbourne.

Demons coach-in-waiting Simon Goodwin admitted on Sunday he has been in frequent contact with Hibberd.

But his manager met Dons chief executive Xavier Campbell last week and the club is fighting hard to retain the left-footed defender.

Fantasia was surprised he won the Rising Star, believing judges would instead opt for Western Bulldog Josh Dunkley.

c7f19f499b1c3a42bd2528a5a312f64c

Will Michael Hibberd be at Essendon in 2017? Orazio Fantasia is confident he’ll be in red and black. Picture: George Salpigtidis
The Norwood premiership player credited his ascension to a full pre-season.

Fantasia jumped at the chance to elevate his jumper number from 46 to 13 this season, replacing Adam Cooney.

When Jake Melksham was sent to the Demons, Cooney reverted to the 17 he wore at the Dogs.

“I was asking everyone if I could get the 13,” Fantasia said.

“It’s one of my lucky numbers. Unlucky for some but lucky for me.

“Michael Long and all the past players who wore it before Longy have done it such great justice so hopefully I can continue it on and do it proud.”

Fantasia walked into the Dons at the height of the drugs saga but said he and Merrett were “happy as Larry” to be there.

“It was pretty exciting. The culture has changed every year and we’re heading in the right direction,” Fantasia said.

“And the experience we’re all getting by playing (this year) that we might not have got if the boys were still here makes it exciting for the future.”

Was he taken a year after he was first eligible for the draft or am I making that up?
He's a month older than Zerrett and they were both taken in the 2013 national draft. They're both turning 21 later this year. My track history on here tends to suggest that I'm bad at maths, but I think that means they were both just over 18 when drafted? :p

He's a month older than Zerrett and they were both taken in the 2013 national draft. They're both turning 21 later this year. My track history on here tends to suggest that I'm bad at maths, but I think that means they were both just over 18 when drafted? :p

Nah man you're not bad at maths. That tackling analysis was a novel idea. Just forgot to divide by the number of games! But the comparisons themselves had some merit :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah cheers for that.

For some reason i always thought he was overlooked his first year.

Is he our next Darren Bewick ???
Similar attributes, except when Bewick got it within 50 you would back him 9 times out of ten to make the perfect decision..
Fanta pants is still 50/50 in my eyes...His pace is as fast as Boris, maybe a touch faster...But Boris had extreme poise...

Back