Retired #18: Michael Hurley šŸ» - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
For sure, it may well be the case. It was a bit hard to tell as everyone looked cooked.

I'm not saying gift him anything, but I also don't want to make assumptions on possibilities on age alone, that's all.

Experience and leadership are as vital to rebuilds as youth. Same with pressure for spots.

But you're right it may not be enough, I just hope if he does come back with some real form (and that's a big if) that they get the decision right on balance. We only have to look over at North (and previously Brisbane and Gold Coast) to see what happens when they don't get the balance right and ignore older players and leadership influence during rebuilds.

Our backline has Laverde, Ridley, McGrath that are all reasonably experienced, I don't think Hurley's leadership is a need back there anymore.

Wouldn't mind us offering him a role coaching though, past-AA defender would have some knowledge to share still.

Our backline has Laverde, Ridley, McGrath that are all reasonably experienced, I don't think Hurley's leadership is a need back there anymore.

Wouldn't mind us offering him a role coaching though, past-AA defender would have some knowledge to share still.
Will be playing forward. Maybe he can do a reverse Liam Jones šŸ˜Ž
And yes he was a 2000% better defender than Jones was a forward šŸ™‚

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking ahead at the fixture. Hopefully, he builds up those loads and plays the last two games in the seniors. Port at Marvel. Richmond at the G.

If he's retiring at year's end and the club doesn't do that for him and the supporters then stuff them! It's not going to cost us a finals spot.

Looking ahead at the fixture. Hopefully, he builds up those loads and plays the last two games in the seniors. Port at Marvel. Richmond at the G.

If he's retiring at year's end and the club doesn't do that for him and the supporters then stuff them! It's not going to cost us a finals spot.
could be two clubs fighting for top 8. but he'd likely relish it.
not sure if its the feels, but you half want him to go on and try play next year.

I do get a feeling he may want to play on, and honestly I wouldn't blame him in the slightest. I doubt we can afford to hold a list spot for him though so I would very much like see him to get a couple of games to finish out the year and give him a proper send off.

I do get a feeling he may want to play on, and honestly I wouldn't blame him in the slightest. I doubt we can afford to hold a list spot for him though so I would very much like see him to get a couple of games to finish out the year and give him a proper send off.
If he can get back and play CHF, or even deep and let Wright and Jones get up the ground, I'd give him the year.
We won't win a flag next year. Let Baldwin & whoever else we think lines up alongside Jones and 2MP for the next 5 years plus develop and be ready. Baldwin, Voss, new recruit. whoever.

If he can get back and play CHF, or even deep and let Wright and Jones get up the ground, I'd give him the year.
We won't win a flag next year. Let Baldwin & whoever else we think lines up alongside Jones and 2MP for the next 5 years plus develop and be ready. Baldwin, Voss, new recruit. whoever.
I'd hardly be opposed to the idea - really just comes down to how many list spots we have imo, along with how Hurls finishes out the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back