Retired #18: Michael Hurley 🐻 - Staying on in a coaching and player welfare role! - 3/10

Remove this Banner Ad

18 - Hurley.jpg
Contract Status: Retired
Last Game Played: Currently in the side
Injury Status: Comes back from injury to play his final game for the club this weekend - 18/8
He's back! Playing a half in the VFL this weekend - 15/7
Joins main training in the next couple of weeks! - 15/6

Had a calf setback, now running again - 28/4

Wants to play a half in the VFL in the next couple of weeks - 30/3

Joined main training? - 3/3
Ahead of schedule, doing some big running loads - 16/2
Progressing well, R1 'too soon' to return, no time frame - 11/1
On track for playing return around Round 6 - 12/3

Ahead of schedule, running soon - 15/12
Hip replacement surgery - 10/10
Placed on the inactive list, will not play in 2021 - 31/5
Hopes to play the last 6 weeks of the season if not sooner - 26/4
At the club daily doing 1-2 hours of exercise for recovery - 23/3
On the mend - 19/3
Apparently using the hot/cold pools at the club, progress? - 5/3
Limping on crutches with an IV at the preseason game - 25/2
Discharged, recuperating at home... again. No time frame on return - 17/2
Apparently back in hospital - 15/2
Discharged from hospital, recuperating at home. No timeframe - 9/2
In hospital with an infected leg - 4/2

My Boy Draft 2022: Claim here

Last edited:
I think the original idea might've been that he plays as a decoy, keeps the defenders away from Jones, Stringer etc. so they can do the clunking. Who knows what comes next though. Maybe Ambrose.
I reckon that was definitely the plan. Similar to Hooker’s role in that he draws the number 1 defender to make it easier for Jones.

Precisely. The man is as good a player as we've had in the past decade and that was through being a ******* good footballer, not just willpower, he could find a way.

Back in the days of the forward versus back debate, I remember Hird was asked what Hurley's biggest weapon was and how that dictated where he should play. He said it wasn't a physical or skill attribute like most players... his biggest weapon was simply his fierce competitiveness. Obviously he's a very good footballer but the reason he's beaten many opponents is he just refused to be beaten.

When you think about it, players can sometimes, depending on circumstance, be accused of 'turning it up' at one point or another when the situation is hopeless. I can't ever recall Hurley being accused of that. He just doesn't yield.

Then you go with Stringer, 2MP and Harry Jones. Just can’t see a spot for him forward or back.

It is a question mark but Heppell had the same sort of questions. I am not 100% sold either but I would not completely write him off.
Would be sure that Truck will lay out where he fits in and that could mean VFL time if he does not find something.

It is a question mark but Heppell had the same sort of questions. I am not 100% sold either but I would not completely write him off.
Would be sure that Truck will lay out where he fits in and that could mean VFL time if he does not find something.
Think we can be very confident about Truck’s lack of sentimentality re these things.

The days of Myers having to drop himself are long gone!

Lions played 34-35 yo Luke Hodge in their backline and we can’t fit a 31 yo? Or play him forward where he’s has bags of 5 or more? Of course we can
The Lions were trash at the time though. We're not exactly short on defenders.

Wasn't Hurley training as a forward anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions were trash at the time though. We're not exactly short on defenders.

Wasn't Hurley training as a forward anyway?
Hodge at 35 played nearly every game in’19 when they finished second.

Lions played 34-35 yo Luke Hodge in their backline and we can’t fit a 31 yo? Or play him forward where he’s has bags of 5 or more? Of course we can
Ok but let’s think our way through it….

In defence who out of Stewart, Laverde or Francis makes way? In attack, who out of Jones, Wright, Stringer or Hooker does he replace?

It sounds like I’m agitating for him to retire but I’m not….love the big bear, just don’t see where he fits. So no point just saying to me he can fit, explain how and where.

Out goes Hooker, in comes Hurley? If Baldwin doesn’t come good of course.
Except Ambrose is kicking bags of goals in the VFL off limited F50 entries. Right now, if we want a stop-gap in 2022-2023 while Eyre, Baldwin, Reid(?) or Bryan (?) develop forward craft and size, surely Ambrose is the better bet? Hurley had issues when playing forward back in 2011-2013 with injuries, he's a lot less durable now. Ambrose is younger, and doing a stirling job in the VFL. He'd also provide much more pressure in the F50 than Hurley.

I'd venture to say he'd be an upgrade on Stewart too
I doubt it. Stewart is playing as the one-on-one defender. That's a role Hurley has struggled with in recent times, doing much better as the loose man/third defender. Roles Ridley and Francis have locked down.

Ok but let’s think our way through it….

In defence who out of Stewart, Laverde or Francis makes way? In attack, who out of Jones, Wright, Stringer or Hooker does he replace?

It sounds like I’m agitating for him to retire but I’m not….love the big bear, just don’t see where he fits. So no point just saying to me he can fit, explain how and where.
If the others form doesn’t keep up. Injuries. No one should be guaranteed a place. That’s healthy competition I would’ve thought

Still attending training and looking happy. Really hope he can get back to fitness as he deserves to get one last crack.

_MG_5317.jpg

There's no player I want to win a Premiership more for.
Losing bulk might actually be a blessing in disguise for Hurley, it may heighten his longevity.
Looks like he’s put it back on. I think the fact that he’s missed two full years may allow him to play longer

Love for him to get fit for a final year in the backline supporting Reid and co. I know he trained in the forward line but will be hard for him to impact there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back