Past #19: Sam Wright - "Mr September" - retiring from AFL in Round 20 - thanks Slammin' Sam

Remove this Banner Ad

Onya Sammy, well played. That comeback game was a ripper. Right up there with Stevo and Corey Jones in my house, and even more importantly, you taught my little mate how to handball! After about 40 minutes and a barrow load of prizes, incredible patience and good humour, you have casually strolled into your own place in rickety history.

I bloody hate retirement announcements, especially when made by players that I have admired over their journey, and Sammy joins the growing list, definitely not a book that can be accurately judged by it's cover, extremely courageous, equally talented with left and right foot, actually has a sense of humour, and will always be remembered for his performance on the biggest stage, a cut throat final at the MCG v *, probably missed somewhere between 50-100 games to injury, but the father/son level has been achieved. Good luck for your future Sammy Wright from Katamatite, a true shinboner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gees that elim final is fast becoming a lifetime ago now, ain’t it.
Wells, Thomas, Greenwood, Dal Santo, Petrie, Gibson and now Wright.

Mad memories. It’s what makes this all the more sadder.

I somehow doubt Sam leaves the game thinking it's all been a waste of time. Actually if you listen to him, you know he doesn't. The guy came from the country and made a long career in a very competitive field, played plenty of games, helped win finals and played in prelims, and finishes with love and respect from everyone at and supporting North Melburne. I love that he was proud to be a Shinboner and give his all at both AFL and VFL levels, just as long as he was pulling on the blue and white stripes. I think today is a time to focus on celebrating how much success he achieved.

The video farewell brings a tear to the eye. Such a great bloke and a great part of the NMFC fabric of the last couple of decades. Very happy for Sammy Wright from Katamatite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your contribution to NMFC Wrighty. Will always be appreciative of the effort you put in on and off the field to make our great club even better.

It was an incredible shame to see injury cut you down when you were just entering your prime. Nonetheless you still got to play 136 games for us!

You gave everything on the field and your character/humour off the field made the club a better place.

Enjoy your retirement. I think crocks said it best when he said “once a shinbones always a shinboner”

Hard as a cats head this bloke.

His career highlight will be etched in my mind forever as the first final win I saw with my son along side me.

View attachment 718049

Sad to see him retire.

Gee that's an ordinary effort from Floggard and Jab. Well done Sammy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back